Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round or square shrimp pots?

Default Round or square shrimp pots?

I was wondering which style works better? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Square pots from Steve the Potbuilder. Best ever made.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Actually 1" net round pots will out fish anything. Not belittling Steve's because I fish his too. But pots that are not rigid, net, have smaller openings that keep more shrimp inside. Smaller opening, mean more shrimp plain and simple. I have been at this for 12 years now and see it every shrimp season when pulling my buddies net pots with him.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Actually 1" net round pots will out fish anything. Not belittling Steve's because I fish his too. But pots that are not rigid, net, have smaller openings that keep more shrimp inside. Smaller opening, mean more shrimp plain and simple. I have been at this for 12 years now and see it every shrimp season when pulling my buddies net pots with him.
    I'm not going to get into a round vs square debate but here is my opinion on round pots. Net pots hold more smaller shrimp because most of the netting is pulled/distorted into a diamond shape holding the tinyier shrimp, not very good for the resource in my opinion. Remember a 7/8" round dowel has to fall through the mesh by its own weight according to the regs. Round pegs don't usually fit well into diamond shaped holes ??? Nylon webbing/netting also shrinks up to 10% after it has been wet & dried a few times. I know this because when hanging gillnets i always used wet hanging twine to make the knots tighter and it shrunk tight on the needle in minutes after soaking in water.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'm not going to get into a round vs square debate but here is my opinion on round pots. Net pots hold more smaller shrimp because most of the netting is pulled/distorted into a diamond shape holding the tinyier shrimp, not very good for the resource in my opinion. Remember a 7/8" round dowel has to fall through the mesh by its own weight according to the regs. Round pegs don't usually fit well into diamond shaped holes ??? Nylon webbing/netting also shrinks up to 10% after it has been wet & dried a few times. I know this because when hanging gillnets i always used wet hanging twine to make the knots tighter and it shrunk tight on the needle in minutes after soaking in water.
    True but on a rigid pot, only 2 adjacent sides need to meet the requirement. The top, bottom and other sides can be anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Square pots from Steve the Potbuilder. Best ever made.
    Ditto! Love them. They catch shrimp and are durable.
    BK

spot.JPG
    These rarely escape from any pot. I like Steve's pots, but use both types. At any one set, one will do better than the other. I think it is good for the fishery to leave most the small shrimp. Now how do we design a pot that leaves the shrimp with eggs?

I would not worry about shrimp with eggs. You are not even denting the population down there. Save the eggs, and when you get an octopus, sauté the octopus in butter with the eggs. Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    spot.JPG
    These rarely escape from any pot. I like Steve's pots, but use both types. At any one set, one will do better than the other. I think it is good for the fishery to leave most the small shrimp. Now how do we design a pot that leaves the shrimp with eggs?
    Knock a month off the end season and add vents to the pots to let the smaller bugs out easier. Showed this to F&G and they didn't have a clue what it was used for, after i explained how it works the guy said "it won't work as long as there is bait in the pot" but 1 minute before that he didn't know anything or had even heard about a vent ??
    P6150640.JPG
    they are putting 4 vents in lobster traps to let out all the shorts and only keep legal sized lobster, better for the fishery and less work for the guys on deck.
    trap w vents.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

True but on a rigid pot, only 2 adjacent sides need to meet the requirement. The top, bottom and other sides can be anything.
    and there lies the problem ? Guess i should start building pots with just enough 1x1 to meet the regs then build the rest out of 1/2x1 wire to hold more small shrimp to end the fishery for all of us sooner.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I would not worry about shrimp with eggs. You are not even denting the population down there. Save the eggs, and when you get an octopus, sauté the octopus in butter with the eggs. Delicious.
    Yeah 3000 rec permits issued every year and all the gear in the water will never hurt a thing. Maybe extend the season so we can catch up all those eggers later in the season ?? The shrimp fishery is such a great bonus to the sound fisheries it would be a crime to let it get overfished, where else in the world can anybody catch a unlimited amount of such beautiful shrimp to eat ?? I my opinion there is alreay enough greed and abuse of the fishery and its going downhill every year.
    Now back to the round vs square debate !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Here I will confuse it even more, I have two sizes of round pots. Some came with the boat and the others I got as a fathers day present. My wife is of the opinion that the larger round pots do better than the smaller ones.

Another question is which pot in a string fishes better. I think the middle pot on a three pot string fishes better than the second pot on a two pot string. The first pot (closest to bouy) never fishes as good as the second or third.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I just toss the ones with eggs back.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

you are SPOT on Steve - pun intended and I gave you good juju *'s.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Yeah 3000 rec permits issued every year and all the gear in the water will never hurt a thing. Maybe extend the season so we can catch up all those eggers later in the season ?? The shrimp fishery is such a great bonus to the sound fisheries it would be a crime to let it get overfished, where else in the world can anybody catch a unlimited amount of such beautiful shrimp to eat ?? I my opinion there is alreay enough greed and abuse of the fishery and its going downhill every year.
    Now back to the round vs square debate !!

You have too short of rope up to your bouy and you are floating your first pot - or too short of distance between pots.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Here I will confuse it even more, I have two sizes of round pots. Some came with the boat and the others I got as a fathers day present. My wife is of the opinion that the larger round pots do better than the smaller ones.

Another question is which pot in a string fishes better. I think the middle pot on a three pot string fishes better than the second pot on a two pot string. The first pot (closest to bouy) never fishes as good as the second or third.

I've wandered about tossing the egg carriers back. What is the survival rate? How effective is it?

I tried tossing a couple back and it did not appear they were going to make it. One fluttered a couple times and just sank, the others just sank. Now I just eat them and put the eggs in my top ramen.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Even if the egg carrying females survived the 15+ minutes of exposure to air while you undo the pots and sort them, it is very unlikely the eggs will remain fertile. Do yourself a favor and eat them. If you're shrimping in an area with a high ratio of eggers you can always just move.

I was shocked to get as many with eggs 2 weeks ago as I did. Usually isnt til august til I see that.

Got back from the Sound last night. Had a menagerie of pots. Steve's pots out fished others. Did not have Ladners so can't do a comparison there, but did have another variety of ridgid round pot. May as well have left it on the beach! Put it between 2 of Potbuilders pots, it only caught 1/10th the shrimp as the other 2. Very few had eggs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast