Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a "KNOWN" Bear carcuse bait.....from F&G's thinking

Default Is a "KNOWN" Bear carcuse bait.....from F&G's thinking

So Forum member COD shoots a real, REAL nice Brown Bear that was on a kill (Either winter kill or the bear's kill). Now all that meat from both is laying there on the river bed. (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...10#post1390210)

Question: Should his wife or his friend register that as a "Black & Brown" Bear bait station, It would keep others from using it. If his friend shoots another big Brown Bear off that pile of meat does he have to recover the eatable meat. What is the best plan.

One plan is wolves could hit it. COD could harvest several Black Bears off that pile of meat.

I am just looking for thoughts and strategies.

To those new to bear hunting, note how small the ears look on his bear. And how Round the head is.

I suppose if you register it, then you'd have to comply with the clean up requirement too. That has the potential for being a lot of fun
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I sure would not register it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I guess the best bet would be to call the Fishcops and ask. A friend and I have fall bear tags in the same area and have wondered the same thing. Can we hunt over each other's gutpile? I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

But I may check out the kill site Wednesday.... Still need a blackbear.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

As long as you don't move it, it is not bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    But I may check out the kill site Wednesday.... Still need a blackbear.
    Good luck! Maybe tell the wife where you're going this time?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Game taken under a hunting license MAY NOT be used for the following purposes:(exceptions noted) ...

game that died of natural causes MAY be used as bait, ASLONG AS the game is not moved from where it was found.Natural causes do not include death caused by humans.

Would it be using bait...or just planning to hunt the same area for a blackie...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So Forum member COD shoots a real, REAL nice Brown Bear that was on a kill (Either winter kill or the bear's kill). Now all that meat from both is laying there on the river bed. (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...10#post1390210)

To those new to bear hunting, note how small the ears look on his bear. And how Round the head is.

Having mounted several hundred bears - both brown and black, experience has shown me that ear size has nothing to do with bear size. I recently mounted an 8.5 foot plus bear who literally had 'elephant' ears - I mean he could have been related to a mule deer! LOL. And I have mounted small bears with VERY tiny ears....Personally, I think ear size is genetic...just like it is with any other animal...labs with small ears, labs with 'hound' ears...etc...

The round head is, IMO, much more indicative of size and combined with an 'average' sized ear, the ears probably would look 'small' in comparison....
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

You could say that you were hunting over the nature killed moose carcass only. The bear carcass was in the vicinity, but you weren't hunting over it specifically because IT was taken by a human.
    And the trooper would then say, "my professional opinion and discretion says otherwise, tell it to the judge, here's your ticket"...

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Game taken under a hunting license MAY NOT be used for the following purposes:(exceptions noted) ...

game that died of natural causes MAY be used as bait, ASLONG AS the game is not moved from where it was found.Natural causes do not include death caused by humans.
    Thanks, chalk up one more crappy answer from F&G...

I asked this question of a friend at church who is a F&W trooper. He said that as long as you do not move the carcass it is not baiting. If you move it, then it is. And yes, I would say that if you register it you would have to clean it up. Not a mess I would want to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post

Could we get the reference of that, shimano?
    I think that is in relation to trapping bait.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Could we get the reference of that, shimano?
    I think that is in relation to trapping bait.
    I think the reference of that post is...and what he is referring to, is on page 17 hunting regs bottom left.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    I asked this question of a friend at church who is a F&W trooper. He said that as long as you do not move the carcass it is not baiting. If you move it, then it is. And yes, I would say that if you register it you would have to clean it up. Not a mess I would want to deal with.
    I guess that all depends on the definition of the word "moved". Certainly the carcass was "moved" around during the skinning process. If move = relocate, perhaps that's different altogether...perhaps not.

Maybe we should all go together and hire a lawyer for consultation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is it any different than going back to check for a bear at the site of a caribou/moose, etc. that one has legally killed in hopes of killing said bear? It is perfectly legal to do so unless there is a regulation specifically prohibiting this due to the remains left at the site of the kill are that of a bear. I do not recall any such regulation (been 9 months since I last read the regs.)and I do not care enough to look for it at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I guess that all depends on the definition of the word "moved". Certainly the carcass was "moved" around during the skinning process. If move = relocate, perhaps that's different altogether...perhaps not.
    Move would mean relocate. I.E., you cannot kill a moose and then move the carcass to a better location for taking a brown. If however, a brown comes to the carcass of the moose in the original kill/skin site, then it would be a legal kill.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    Move would mean relocate. I.E., you cannot kill a moose and then move the carcass to a better location for taking a brown. If however, a brown comes to the carcass of the moose in the original kill/skin site, then it would be a legal kill.
    That's how I would look at it as well...although it's conceivable that a trooper and a judge could take a more literal stand. Stranger things have happened...and been successfully prosecuted!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast