Thread: Aluminum Hull Oxidation

Angry Aluminum Hull Oxidation

Got a nice surprise when I went to get my boat from my friends acreage.
    The whole front of the hull has some serious blotching on it. When I took it out last fall, it was after a fresh dusting of snow, and what I though was just some sanding on the road must have had something else in it.
    Where the hull finish was original under the stickers I removed, it now looks all blotched where the whatever ate through the AlOxide.
    Its just cosmetic but it looks like what comes out of a horses rear end.
    I have pressure washed it and scrubbed it clean. I was going to apply the new vinyl this weekend, but I wonder if I should clean the whole hull with Al polish?
    Thanks Dept of Highways for the nice hull finish job
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Got a nice surprise when I went to get my boat from my friends acreage.
    The whole front of the hull has some serious blotching on it. When I took it out last fall, it was after a fresh dusting of snow, and what I though was just some sanding on the road must have had something else in it.
    Where the hull finish was original under the stickers I removed, it now looks all blotched where the whatever ate through the AlOxide.
    Its just cosmetic but it looks like what comes out of a horses rear end.
    I have pressure washed it and scrubbed it clean. I was going to apply the new vinyl this weekend, but I wonder if I should clean the whole hull with Al polish?
    Thanks Dept of Highways for the nice hull finish job
    "Apply new vinyl???" As in like cosmetic vinyl adhesive sheets? Don't put those over the white, aluminum oxide corrosion; they won't stick. Get yourself some fine steel wool and strip all of that off first.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    "Apply new vinyl???" As in like cosmetic vinyl adhesive sheets? Don't put those over the white, aluminum oxide corrosion; they won't stick. Get yourself some fine steel wool and strip all of that off first.
    Please do not use Steel wool on your alloy hull, the fine steel particles will embed in the alloy and you will have a rust problem. Try using a green pad first then move to a flapper wheel if needed that is suitable for Aluminum.