Thread: Kenai to Skilak launch--too early?

Default Kenai to Skilak launch--too early?

I am thinking this nice weather might be a good time to test out the new cataraft this weekend. I saw on the power boating thread the the middle launch is open (I assume that is the one closest to upper Kenai?). But, I don't know if there would be problems between the river and the launch. Never tried it this early in the year--anyone have info/advice?

Floated Jims to Sportsman's today and the water is low! Slow, very slow fishing but a great day.. The wind did start picking up a bit at about noon.. Skilak lake may have been a bit rough..

Thanks dgrant! I am watching the weather and still looks promising. The wind is always a factor on Skilak--just have to hike out from the outlet to the road if it is too rough. Go back the next day and it will probably be glass (been there). I think we are going to give it a shot though and keep our fingers crossed. Another Alaska adventure.

If the wind is in your favor, you should be fine, however, I have not and did not run the canyon..

For anyone interested--lake is wide open and the canyon is easily doable. Ran three rafts through with no problems. It is slow and low, but I think we did Kenai to Skilak in about 6 hours. Pretty epic weather--would have been tough to screw it up. Lake was glass calm also--and did I mention that the weather was awesome!!