Thread: Guide heads up

Default Guide heads up

If you think a client might write a story ask to check it out before print. Just read a handgun hunting book printed in 2002 where the hunter was left on a bait stand by himself to take a black bear. When the guide showed back up around midnight the hunter had taken a griz and and black.He said the guides sure were surprised. He was there mostly for a griz hunt but the guide had to pick up more clients in Anchorage and had a assistant guide put him on the black bear stand. This is the second story I've read in the last couple years years where non-res take brown bears with no guide around at least the authur says so. Both cases the guides are named and a story told wrong could be costly.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I know there is a Guide law that states the Guide must be present at a Bait .... but is there a one that requires a Guide to be in the immediate vicinity of the hunter at all times ?

But good advice about an article being published or filmed and later the Guide ends up in court. Happens more than you would imagine.

On the last story I read the hunter was left alone from 4pm till midnight but he was just susposed to shoot a black bear which he didn't need a guide for. He ended up shooting a black and griz at the bait station without guides near him and griz at bait station I'm sure the guide would have stopped.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I would say if there was any indication that the guide allowed or endorsed or permitted (etc) the killing of the grizzly, then the guide has culpability. Otherwise it's completely on the hunter's shoulders not to kill an illegal animal while hunting...whether with guide or not. I suppose there is a sense amongst certain hunters that if the guide says it's okay, then the guide will bear the responsibility for a bad outcome. He might, but it's very likely the hunter will be charged or cited and have a game violation. Bottom line is for both to know and follow the law.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I know there is a Guide law that states the Guide must be present at a Bait .... but is there a one that requires a Guide to be in the immediate vicinity of the hunter at all times ?
    Yes. On hunts that require nonresidents to have a guide or hunt with a relative within the second degree of kindred, "The guide or relative must be within 100 yards of the nonresident when they attempt to take game." Basically not all times, only when hunting, or more precisely trying to shoot something.