Thread: The Deshka River Campground

Default The Deshka River Campground

To everyone this may concern,

The Mat-Su Borough has decided to NOT open the Deshka River campground again this year. "Word on the river" is that they are going to close it permanently and remove all of the infrastructure, including the boat storage area, toilets, and cleaning tables.
    The funding has been diverted to other projects closer to Wasilla. The docks are going to be removed and relocated. The cabin may be moved, or parceled off and sold. And the boats? who knows.
    All of the time and money spent by the Borough in developing the campground and facilities will go to waste.
    If these facilities are important to you, it's time to be heard.

The Borough Mayor can be reached at the following;
    Larry DeVilbiss
    Phone: (907)745-9682
    Larry.DeVilbiss@matsugov.us

You can also try the Borough Manager
    John Moosey
    john.moosey@matsugov.us
    (907) 861-8689

and the Assistant Manager
    George Hays
    (907) 861-8405

Didn't know there was a campground. Been too long since I was there I guess. I'm not generally one to ask government to provide stuff so I probably won't call. What I don't like is government shutting down the use of land though. So if they make the land off limits that will be a problem. Just let us access public land and leave us alone. And it's our job to make sure the jerks don't mess up the land.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I have used the campground 3 years ago for one weekend. It was really nice having the docks there and the campground was great.

http://www.matsugov.us/docman/doc_do...anagement-plan

Being from Fairbanks, we make one long weekend trip to the Deshka every year. Why? great spot for young kids and elderly folks to get out and enjoy some king fishing. The link above describes how the area near the mouth was to be managed. Not supporting the funding for a second year will undo years of planning and development in a pretty high use area.

As much as I would like to say that we are all stewards of the land and should leave it a little better than we found it, anyone who has fished the Deshka knows that it only takes a couple chuckleheads to ruin it for everyone else. I've personally witnessed people leaving trash, crapping anywhere and dropping fish carcasses where ever they feel like. These idiots are the reason regulations and enforcement exist.

Like it or not, without some measure of government involvement/funding, this area will turn into a disaster which is exactly where it was headed prior to the completion of the 2004 management plan.

The property taxes in the MSB are insane. It just makes it hurt all the worse having watched how the Mat Su Borough spends our tax money. It is a shame they would cut something like this and then go and fund some of the boondoggle horsecrap like the ferry, Goose Bay Prison, Knik Arm Crossing and some of the other ridiculous schemes.

Wasn't there a charge to camp there ?

Where is there a boat storage area on the Deshka? Talking about the launch? Are we talking about the actual campground and tables at the actual river? I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Wasn't there a charge to camp there ?
    Yes, as well as every unmaintained camping spot on the lower river. It doesn't hurt my feelings one bit that the Borough wont be there to harass people and charge money for camping on a sandbar up river from the public campground.

I've only been to the Deshka a couple of times; but I remember Ron (Ron's Riverboats) stopped at the docks one time to let us use the "restroom", it was not a pleasant experience, glad I didn't have to sit down. I'm not sure if they ever emptied the area under the rim or how they would go about it.

Any time you have a high concentration of people using an area you must have some control over the waste (poop) that is generated. You're either going to have to treat it on site (central location) or remove it. Mother Nature can handle a few people spread out in the wilds...not so much with many people all in the same area for long periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Yes, as well as every unmaintained camping spot on the lower river. It doesn't hurt my feelings one bit that the Borough wont be there to harass people and charge money for camping on a sandbar up river from the public campground.
    I did not know that. They charged to camp on a gravel bar along the river??? That is pretty ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I did not know that. They charged to camp on a gravel bar along the river??? That is pretty ridiculous...
    Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. The guys enforcing the camping fee were anything but friendly and policed the lower 11 miles of the river. If they came into your camp to collect the fees and you didn't have cash or a check on you, you were to pack up and leave. Like I said, I'll be happy not to have to deal with those guys anymore.

http://www.matsugov.us/des/367-depar...7-deshka-river