Thread: The plastic buckles of Helly Hansen rain bibs

Angry The plastic buckles of Helly Hansen rain bibs

I bought a set of Helly Hansen rain bibs recently, the OD green ones( Impertech (?). Well, they are very comfortable, but the suspender's buckles come right off if one is not paying attention. Finally I lost the darn things, and now I need a new set as soon as possible. I wrote an e-mail to Helly Hansen to explain the problem, and will post again here when I receive an answer.

I don't like the fact that the bibs are made in China, and that I have to roll them down to urinate and such (that's how I lost mine in the brush), but they are very lightweight, keep the rain off, and are comfortable.

Meanwhile, if you happen to know who sells the buckles, would you let me know? Thanks in advance for your help.

Default don't like bibs

I don't like bibs, for the reason you mentioned and changing clothes. My Dry Plus boot pants come up to my chest, so I used suspenders on them this last trip instead of the waist belt. Worked nice, except when I needed to.... see above. I am cutting them down to waist length and sewing them back together. Waist high is plenty for me; never really needed bibs. If you do need them, well then you need them. later. j

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    I don't like bibs, for the reason you mentioned and changing clothes. My Dry Plus boot pants come up to my chest, so I used suspenders on them this last trip instead of the waist belt. Worked nice, except when I needed to.... see above. I am cutting them down to waist length and sewing them back together. Waist high is plenty for me; never really needed bibs. If you do need them, well then you need them. later. j
    Yes, you are right. I just wear the bibs because the keep salmon juice (slime ) from getting all over my pants and chest when dipping at the Copper River. The stuff flies all over the place when I am pulling them out of the net. Otherwise I dislike bibs.

I just received an answer form Helly Hansen's Customer Service, and was told that two new buckles will be shipped right away. I don't plan to unbuckle them next time, just to move the straps (suspenders) apart and slide them over my shoulders. This way the buckles will stay snapped in place, even if the straps come out. I also plan to fold and sew the strap ends so they they can't slide out of the buckles. I didn't think about this until I lost them.

Default Same problem

I love the bibs, but hate the fact that they did't fold and sew the end to keep the buckle from falling off. About the third day I owned them i just tied a knot in the darn things and have had no issues ever since. ( 5 years)

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    I love the bibs, but hate the fact that they did't fold and sew the end to keep the buckle from falling off. About the third day I owned them i just tied a knot in the darn things and have had no issues ever since. ( 5 years)
    I won't lose any more of those from now on. All i have to do is to install a new set of buckles on the suspender straps, and then fold the strap's ends one more time over itself, and then sew them there.

By the way, I just received a few of the buckles from Helly Hansen, so I am very happy. Now I plan to buy the matching jacket. The Sportsman Warehouse didn't have my size then, but they do now.

I love mine. But I have the same problem with the buckles. I tied a knot and it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Tubes View Post
    I love mine. But I have the same problem with the buckles. I tied a knot and it's good.
    That should work, too, but ended sewing the straps as mentioned above. I did it this way because during moose season I sometimes wear warm clothing underneath, and have to extend the suspenders a little.

The Impertech rain gear is indeed very comfortable and lightweight.

Default Update on the buckles

As I mentioned before, my solution to not losing the buckles again was as follows: my wife folded and sewed the straps' ends after I installed a new set of buckles.

As you can see in the photo, the straps ends have been folded over themselves one more time, and now they can't slip out of the buckles. A very simple fix, but lousy spelling on the photo : I meant to write : "folded and THEN sewed the straps' ends."

Default snaps too

I have the bibs and the very first time I unsnapped the leg bottoms one of the snaps broke off and now I have a small hole. I don't have Helly's phone#, but just figured I will glue and stitch velcro down there so I don't have that problem anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Streamman View Post
    I have the bibs and the very first time I unsnapped the leg bottoms one of the snaps broke off and now I have a small hole. I don't have Helly's phone#, but just figured I will glue and stitch velcro down there so I don't have that problem anymore.
    That should work just fine. Great idea.