Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiniest bear I ever shot

Default Tiniest bear I ever shot

Did I mention this is the first bear I ever shot?

Did I mention this guy was 8'-4" nose to tail, and 10' front claw to front claw?
    A good way to break in the new rifle.
    More of the unit 15 story after I take care of business....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Congrats! Great Bear!!

That is an awesome bear, congrats! What rifle were you breaking in?

Wow nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to go cod, heck of a bear!
    Congrats, look forward to more pics.
    BK

I keep saying over and over, "There are some huge Brown Bears on the Kenai Peninsula"...............Congratulations, very nice looking bear.

Very nice indeed,congrats
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Now you've done it. You've made me wish I was out bear hunting! LOL!

What a NICE bear. You've set the bar for yourself now...next year we expect to see a 10 footer with equally as nice hair!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Don't feel bad, I've shot smaller. It happens to the best of us.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

F and G says the skull measures 26.5.
    Whatever that means.
    Promise a good story and more pics soon on this solo 'scouting mission'.

Booner! Nice work.

Congrats and that is a nice looking bear

Man, Thats awesome !!!! Good Bear, and way to kick off the season...what caliber rifle was that?

Congrats! Great bear, more pics?

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Did I mention this is the first bear I ever shot?

Did I mention this guy was 8'-4" nose to tail, and 10' front claw to front claw?
    A good way to break in the new rifle.
    More of the unit 15 story after I take care of business....
    Looks like you made up for your missing that wolf....RIGHT ON...!!! Just called my buddy that's wanting to get one with an arrow over bait. Told him it's just a matter of time now....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Part 1

So I'm lately exploring some new areas near home. As some may know I have been pursuing (mostly) the predators in my area. Too many wolves, coyotes and brownies. Not enough moose and other game. Last thursday I found myself in the toolies till late evening blowing rabbit distress and canine pup calls. A glimpse of a large moving animal in the swamp edge spooked me a bit as I realized I was undergunned with my 223 I usually carry. I realized the Brownies might be around and I felt quite vulnerable. It turned out to be a spooked moose but caused me enough concern to change tactics and weaponry.
    Then Friday a friend and myself went on a 2 mile walk-in to scout out some new (to me) area with pack and rifle. Upon access to a river bottom, much to my delight we discovered tracks from all 3 noted predators on a 100 yard stretch of riverbed. We had a long slog back uphill in mud and ice and it pooped me out. I left that night encouraged tho and couldnt wait to expore more.
    Saturday about noon I left home with my wheeler and ventured to another new area to me a bit farther out. I had a spot on the map I wanted to look at logistics for a future adventure and noted various fabulous vantage points to call from on my reverse trip. Several of these vantage pts allowed good views of much riverbottoms. The wind was quite strong. Something that I always love when hunting. At about the 5th vantage pt stop I glassed the bottomland first as I always do before calling. Low and behold a large brown object appeared to be sleeping about 1000 yrds upvalley on the riverbed. After glassing the bottoms for about 10 minutes sure enough he got up and started tearing at the ground. He pulled up a piece of what appeared to be a pretty large chunk of red meat. It was about 6 pm and I retreated to my wheeler 150 yrds away to retrieve my daypack with spotting scope, knives, water, and a few other meager items. This was more than I bargained for but the wind direction and strength, coupled with the perfect stalking terrain caused me to further investigate the possibilities.
    I was by myself. The wife didnt know I was out hunting. And although I tried, I couldnt get cell coverage to her or a buddy. But this opportunity was worth investigating. I told myself if it wasnt right, it wouldnt happen. If all was right with my world this could be an oyster.
    I approached an overlook with pack, newest rifle (30-06 Seka Lite), and some trepidation. I was now about half closer and started downhill using some lovely prominades half way down the put there just for this purpose apparently. At 458 yards he again rose from a nap and fed for ten minutes and again laid down. So far, so good. As I angled my way downhill I noted 3 or 4 spruce trees ranging from 10 yrds out to about 50 yards from the edge of the riverbank. The bear appeared to be across the river about 50-60 yards beyond the other side on the gravel bar. I now ranged him at 258 yrds. About the only thing I had left as cover were some weeds, a bit of scrub brush with no leaves and those lovely 3 or for spruce. Apparently put there just for this purpose. So far, so good.
    Staying low and using the available cover I slowly slowly crept closer. Several times I lost sight of him for a few minutes and it caused some concern but I always got him back in my sight, right where he last was---still napping. Looking like this COULD happen! A few more failed phone tries and onward ho.
    Finally I'm behind the spruce tree only yards from the edge of the river. I survey my shooting set up and decide I must move about 20 yards to the left to shoot thru an open area in the brush on my side of the river. So I crawl thru the weeds with my pack in front of me, lay it out and place the rifle on it. I look at my watch.... 7pm. I range him.... 104 yards.
    I watch him for about 5 minutes, in a way hoping he would get up so I could see if he was as big as he looked from 350 plus yards away when I last saw him up. He never did again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Part II

I'm looking at my watch. 7:15 pm now. Time to make a decision. The pic in previous post shows the live bear snoozing next to his prize. The only time he moved during the 15 minutes was once to raise his head for ten seconds in my direction. I worried that the wind might swirl. I dialed my Luepold 4.5 x 14.5 to full power. Thats what I had been practicing at 200yrds the week before. I made two pretty decent 'heart' shots and a perfect head kill shot on my bear target that day. I felt confident but had to look thru the scope numerous times before I felt confident ENOUGH to try this head shot. I wanted no part of a wounded big brownie-especially alone. At this point I wasnt sure just how big he was.
    It was a pretty clear look at the bear with the exception of just a few brush pieces near the bear that I figured were about an inch round at the biggest. Unfortunately there was one of these right across the back section of his head. (In the pic the bear's head is actually facing the right. U can see the small brush that I speak of I think.) It caused me to analyze shot placement and penetration if I hit the branch. I finally figured there was just enough margin to place it where it would work.
    When he looked sure and large in my reticle I pulled the trigger and sent the 180 grain factory Federal load on its way. The recoil briefly caused my to lose sight of him, of course. But before I even chambered a round I peered again thru the scope. He appeared to not move at all. I watched for a few more minutes and eventually rechambered. After about 5 minutes (I guess) of watching thru the scope blood started pooling in front of his face. BINGO! It looked good so far!
    At 7:30 I approached the river's edge. I gotta see this guy. I take a never used xmas knife gift from my pack and a small saw to cut some walking sticks to cross the river. Should I take my neoprene much boots off or leave em on. All of a sudden simple decisions became difficult. I decide to leave em on. I take two step into the river and dont even go over my boots yet. But the next probe with my walking stick and instantly sinks 3 ft.... Oh, oh. And I've got twenty five yrds of water to cross. All of a sudden I question my decision to cross, alone. I gotta see this bear close up I tell myself. I move lower down in the river. Out I go. Hey, this water aint bad. I make it across never quite getting my crotch wet but wondering if I would soon be peeing my pants. I approach the bear to about 20 yards and analyze... He looks dead. I snap a photo with my Iphone so they have record of why they found my Iphone in a pile of bear scat...just in case. Here it is ....first pic of down brown.jpg

Wow...unreal. Excellent telling of the story, sir, and very well done on the hunt! Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Very, VERY nice bear and what a great story. Karma sure came around and made up for that wolf, um, hunt, earlier this season.

Congratulations!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Awesome bear cod! Cns shots are the way to go with bears. One shot and no tailing through alders. Good call.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast