Thread: Alaska Obsession Starts Again...

Default Alaska Obsession Starts Again...

Every year once tax season is over, my AK obsession starts... This year is no exception. Planning for DIY moose for 2016. Will be my 2nd trip... This time, I at least have the gear....

what area are you planning?

I'm thinking your next trip will be a total diy adventure?

Me and a buddy are planning a DIY Moose hunt with Papa Bear Adventures in 2016. Got it booked and deposits sent out.... Can't wait! It seems like a long time away but as fast as life moves, it'll be here before we know it. It's how I plan hunts so I can afford them. Send a little every year so the year of the hunt, I have most of it paid for already.

Quote Originally Posted by standswittaknife View Post
    Me and a buddy are planning a DIY Moose hunt with Papa Bear Adventures in 2016. Got it booked and deposits sent out.... Can't wait! It seems like a long time away but as fast as life moves, it'll be here before we know it. It's how I plan hunts so I can afford them. Send a little every year so the year of the hunt, I have most of it paid for already.
    This is one of the best places to use for a DIY. Great operation and first class.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Sounds like you did your homework and picked a great outfit. I have heard nothing but good things about Papa Bear. How was the snowfall this year in Salida and Buena Vista?
    I looking to do a DIY rifle Elk hunt this year with my brother inlaw who lives in Monument. He hasn't hunted much at all since we lived in Maine back in the 70's.

We had great snow this year but the wind and dry air so far this spring is quickly making it disappear. If we can get some rain in July & August we'll be ok. Seen lots of elk out this year while turkey hunting.

How did you do Turkey hunting? It has been a pretty dry winter for us, we are definitely behind the eight ball. I shot my biggest turkey ever 10 days ago on opening morning. Close to 20 pounds with a 9 1/2 beard.
    What made it special was having one of my brothers along who came out from NY for a few days.

Tons of fun, and a good amount of local birds here. We haven't killed a bird yet, but trying to longbow them is a helluva lot harder than the ol shotgun!

Yep
    Alaska bound in a little less than 4 months , Diy moose !!!!
    Doug

I learned to bow shoot with a 25 pound fiberglass bow I got as a birthday present when I was 12. Killed lots of targets with it. LOL When ever I think of longbow shooting Tred Barta always comes to mind. I sure do miss his shows since he became ill.

Huge mishap a couple weeks ago with a very large tom. He came in perfect, turned broadside went behind a tree. I drew at 15 yards only to remember that my hat was on forwards and I cannot shoot a longbow without hitting the brim, therefore I drew and pushed the brim of my hat over my eyes and shot more than 3 feet over the bird... My buddy, who filmed me, and I laughed as soon as he flew away.. a great day out in the woods.

Oh well, you at least got a shot. How much longer does the season last? I think our is over on the 22nd. Next year I'm going to put in for a Goulds tag.

I know the feeling all too well. I'll be heading up Aug 30 for a week of Black Bear hunting in the Talkeetnas (walk in) followed by a two week moose float trip (fly in based out of Dillingham)... Both DIY and both rapidly approaching!

I think the last weekend of May. Turkeys and Elk would be two of the main hunting reasons I couldn't move to Alaska if ever given the chance.

I do love to Elk hunt but it is very hard to get drawn every year for it here in Arizona. It has been three years since I drew a tag so I will make a few trips up to the southwest of Colorado to do some scouting. Any recommendation of places to stay away from?