Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better get-um while you can

Default Better get-um while you can

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME DIVISION OF COMMERCIAL FISHERIES NEWS RELEASE
    Cora Campbell, Commissioner Jeff Regnart, Director
    Maria Wessel, Shellfish Management Biologist
    Phone: (907) 424-3212 Fax: (907) 424-3235
    Cordova Area Office P.O. Box 669 Cordova, Alaska 99574
    Date Issued: 4/26/14

FISHERY ANNOUNCEMENT
    PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND COMMERCIAL SHRIMP POT FISHERY SECOND PERIOD AND VESSEL POT LIMITS EMERGENCY ORDER 2-SF-E-02-14
    The PWS commercial shrimp pot fishery opened at 8:00 am April 15 with a guideline harvest level (GHL) of 66,600 lb. The first period closed at 8:00 p.m. April 24 and currently the reported harvest is approximately 12,500 lb of whole shrimp harvested by 23 vessels with approximately 8,000 lb harvested from statistical area 486034.
    The second period of the PWS commercial shrimp pot fishery will open at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, April 29 and will close at 8:00 p.m. Thursday May 8.
    Gear limits are increased to a maximum of 50 shrimp pots per vessel. A vessel operator may not have more than the legal limit of pot gear in aggregate, on board the vessel or in the water at any time. Hours of gear operation remain at 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    The department will be managing the fishery inseason to restrict harvest to no more than 25 percent of the GHL (16,650 lb) harvested from any one statistical area. Inseason measures may include adjusting pot limits, time, and/or statistical area closures in order to remain within the 25 percent statistical area harvest limit. Fishery announcements regarding adjustments will be available on the harvest reporting message line at (907) 424-7215.
    In addition to logbook and landing requirements, all participating fishermen must call ADF&G at (907) 424-7215 on Wednesday before noon and report any effort and harvest that has occurred, using the shrimp harvest report form (5 AAC 31.245(c)).
    Other pertinent fishery regulations are listed in Chapters 31 and 39 of the 2012-2015 Statewide Commercial Shrimp, Dungeness Crab, and Miscellaneous Shellfish Fishing Regulations booklet available at department offices in Anchorage, Cordova, and Homer or at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ons.commercial. Contact ADF&G at (907) 424-3212 for further information.

Sure hope there's some left when I get over there Nunya!

I like that fact that they can only drop pots from 8am to 8pm.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I like the fact that they couldn't catch enough with 30 pots so they raised it to 50. Keep it up and they will wipe it out like they did before the oil spill.

The commies get 40% of the GHL while we get 60% of the GHL. I would prefer if they get their 40% GHL quota quicker and get the heck of the water. It doesn't matter how many pots they can use. They get 40% of the quota whether they get it fast or slowly. Do you want them out there until September 15th or get them off the water ASAP?
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    I like the fact that they couldn't catch enough with 30 pots so they raised it to 50. Keep it up and they will wipe it out like they did before the oil spill.
    The season started with a 40 pot limit.

Keep it up and they will wipe it out like they did before the oil spill.
    Care to cite your facts on this?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Here's one study...there are a lot more out there if you want to search

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/sp06-10.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I like that fact that they can only drop pots from 8am to 8pm.
    Rob they can only HAUL gear from 8 to 8 but the gear is in the water for 24 hours. You know sort of like all the rec gear in the water all season long.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Yeah they are cleaning out the sound. 12500 lbs caught by 23 boats in 10 DAYS fishing works out to a average 54 lbs of WHOLE shrimp per day per boat, break that down into tails and its 27lbs of TAILS per day.
    I know that there are MANY MEMBERS of this site that CATCH WAY MORE THAN 27LBS OF TAILS every weekend all summer long add in the other 200-300 rec boats shrimping every weekend all summer long and then tell me who is raping the resource !!
    MAYBE the limit should be on the rec fleet like they do in Washington, 80 shrimp per person, no longlined pots and openings measured in HOURS not MONTHS. Lets try that for a year or two ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Here's one study...there are a lot more out there if you want to search

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/sp06-10.pdf
    Info is right up to date if it was still Feb of 2006 !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Yeah they are cleaning out the sound. 12500 lbs caught by 23 boats in 10 DAYS fishing works out to a average 54 lbs of WHOLE shrimp per day per boat, break that down into tails and its 27lbs of TAILS per day.
    I know that there are MANY MEMBERS of this site that CATCH WAY MORE THAN 27LBS OF TAILS every weekend all summer long add in the other 200-300 rec boats shrimping every weekend all summer long and then tell me who is raping the resource !!
    MAYBE the limit should be on the rec fleet like they do in Washington, 80 shrimp per person, no longlined pots and openings measured in HOURS not MONTHS. Lets try that for a year or two ??
    Exactly, that was my point. This thread was hypocritical from the start.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...rimpgrowth.pdf

I am not coordinated enough to copy the table from page two. The table shows the commercial harvest for Shrimp from PWS from 1960 to 1991. It was closed from 1992-1995.

Everyone can make there deductions for: "If it was the oil spill or the commercial fleet that reduced their numbers." (Or maybe even a little of both)

You can also read the last paragraph on page 7 that states that the catch data does indicate a likelihood of overharvest.

Good info Steve. I don't mind those guys out there at all. Especially the way they divy up the allowance. And I really like the way they have the 3 different zones.
    MMSI# 338232859

Steve - I brought this up to the ADFG folks during the winter seminars and they said that limiting to xxx gallons would be unenforceable and would not work. They said that there are plenty of shrimp - and they justify it by seeing how much sport and commercial guys kill each year. I asked how they counted the live shrimp - asking if they swim down and have a look-see!

Why keep a good thing going when you can kill it all off? Mismanagement at its finest.

So - what are some recommendations that are enforceable.

I still say go with a yearly limit for personal use - and mix that with a maximum on your boat possession limit to include frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    So - what are some recommendations that are enforceable.

I still say go with a yearly limit for personal use - and mix that with a maximum on your boat possession limit to include frozen.
    I could go along with this one.

I often hear guys talking about how they usually get 3+ gallons of shrimp per pull, not too sure how much of that is exaggeration, but I suspect quite a bit. Perhaps my gallon bucket is a bit bigger than theirs is, because I don't know that I've ever gotten a gollon of shrimp per pot. Or maybe I'm just counting wrong. In any case, as much as we like shrimp, there's no way in heck we could eat as much as some of those guys claim to catch.

We usually go out a coule times and shrimp hard at the beginning of the season to get all we need for the year. Then every now and then we will toss the pots on the way out on a fishign trip and grab them on the way back just for something fresh. Not always and it's usually just a gallon or so total each trip. Plus visitors love to see how the shrimping thing is. Fun times.
    MMSI# 338232859

I feel like I did poor if I do not get 3 gal whole min per pull. But last year there were a lot of 1.5 gals and a couple of .5 gals for a pull on my score card. On several pulls I had 5+ gals of whole shrimp. Best was just over 8 gallons of whole shrimp in one string. That string set for 3 days and I had one huge octo that got most of one pot.

I did more shrimping last year (so yes, I know that I am part of my conceived problem) than I ever have. I have 3 vaccum packed bags of shrimp let in my freezer and we have been "taking it easy" on eating them. I am going Saturday if the weather holds so I feel my catch and eat was properly proportioned.....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Either my shrimping spots suck (they probably do), or I just catch tiny shrimp...but how do other guys define a gallon of shrimp? Completely fill a gallon zip-lock bag? I don't have my permit in front of me, but ADFG used to put a calculation on there, I think I remember at one point they put 50 shrimp=1 gallon. I don't know how many shrimp it takes to fill a true 5 gallon bucket, but my guess is that it's a heck of a lot more than 250.

The numbers on the shrimp permit never match what I catch. If my 5 gallon bucket is full of whole shrimp, I write down 5 gallons. I measure accordingly based on what I see in my 5 gal bucket. I have been known to write down .25 gals and then put (x shrimp) next to the line item on the report........I hate it when that happens.

I don't remember how many shrimp it was taking me to fill my 5 gal bucket last year. It seems that I was hauling about 150ish shrimp per pull on my 4-6 hour soaks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast