Thread: And... another T-shirt is sacrificed to aviation!

Default And... another T-shirt is sacrificed to aviation!

My first solo finally happened today! I have roughly 20 hours, spread out over the last ten months. I've flown two C172s, and the plane I soloed today: a PA11 Cub. I had about 7.1 hours in the Cub, half on skis and half on wheels. Then today after a few laps in the pattern, Artic had me stop, climbed out and said "Give me three stop and goes".

I couldn't ask for a better instructor, and he's also my Boss. He hasn't yet charged me a penny for any of my flight time, and that's just his character, I'm sure many of you here know him.
    IMG_6857.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Congratulations pilot!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

A great big congrats to you...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

you will never forget it, i remember looking over at the empty seat as i went around the pattern. great job!
    "f/64 and be there"

That little airplane felt a log lighter without another soul aboard, didn't it! And climbed a whole lot faster than you were expecting, too. Yep, you'l never forget that first solo flight. Congratulations. You're now in a very special fraternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    That little airplane felt a log lighter without another soul aboard, didn't it! And climbed a whole lot faster than you were expecting, too. Yep, you'l never forget that first solo flight. Congratulations. You're now in a very special fraternity.
    Darn right, In a plane that light, even a small weight change makes a difference in how it flies. Without Artic on board, I reached pattern altitude before turning downwind, so I just backed off the throttle a bit and cruised until it was time to start configuring for landing.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. It was a bit challenging for a first solo. Some knucklehead in a 150 with no radio pulled in front of me while I was on final for my first landing, so I was forced to abort and go around. Then the same guy switched from 34 to 16, (favored runway was 34 and everyone else was using 34.) and took off heading right at me on my second landing! Fortunately, he was on asphalt and I was on gravel, but my heart rate went up a few notches.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Congrats!!! I remember my first solo,, Ford Island, Hawaii, I bet my finger prints can still be seen on the yoke of that 152.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Supporting Member

Congratulations!!

Nice going and good for you doing it in a tail dragger. That'll set you on a good course for maintaining strong stick and rudder skills. Ken is a good guy...you're lucky to have him as an instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    Nice going and good for you doing it in a tail dragger. That'll set you on a good course for maintaining strong stick and rudder skills. Ken is a good guy...you're lucky to have him as an instructor.
    You're right, but one minor correction - Ken is the Boss, but not an instructor. Artic is the other owner with Ken, and Artic has been instructing for over 20 years. He's a 737 captain for Northern Air Cargo. He just teaches people to fly because he loves it. Ken is an awesome guy to work for too.

Bravo!

PA-11s are a super nice plane... Probably the only type that actually makes me love them and not just like them like other planes....

And the one you were flying has FLAPS.... Very interesting... not really needed but interesting...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Bravo!

PA-11s are a super nice plane... Probably the only type that actually makes me love them and not just like them like other planes....

And the one you were flying has FLAPS.... Very interesting... not really needed but interesting...
    Nice catch! This one was built for very short gravel bars, etc. It gets in and out of some pretty short strips. At my skill level, I come in and touch down at about 50 MPH, but Artic can set her down safely at under 40.

Congradulations! Awesome to hear another success story!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now I know why your flight school is named Artic's Air Academy...sorry for the mistake, just assumed they were one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    Now I know why your flight school is named Artic's Air Academy...sorry for the mistake, just assumed they were one and the same.
    No worries. The spelling causes some confusion occasionally. It's the word "arctic" without the first C. He jokes that his parents didn't know how to spell.

Quote Originally Posted by monguse View Post
    nice going and good for you doing it in a tail dragger. That'll set you on a good course for maintaining strong stick and rudder skills. Ken is a good guy...you're lucky to have him as an instructor.
    ​absolutely !!!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Sorry a little late on the Congrats...nicely done...you will certainly remember that first solo forever... and always that first landing...Go Around is ALMOST always an option...JUDGEMENT is probably the most important skill you have learned...Congrats again...

Or...every landing is just an aborted Go-Around...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    Sorry a little late on the Congrats...nicely done...you will certainly remember that first solo forever... and always that first landing...Go Around is ALMOST always an option...JUDGEMENT is probably the most important skill you have learned...Congrats again...
    Thanks! You should stop by PAAQ and see our new diggs when you have time. We bought the old Nugget Aviation hangar on the north end, first hangar along the taxiway to the north of the FSS. We're moved out of the old office.