Thread: Recommend a place to go shooting please

Default Recommend a place to go shooting please

I live in Anchorage and am looking for a decent place to go shooting. Where I came from (Oregon), there were hundreds of gravel pits and areas you could just go out to and blast away. Not so much in Alaska...

I know of the ranges around town and in Palmer but I am really looking for a relatively secluded place I can go out to, sight a few new guns in, plink with some 22lrs, and enjoy myself for the afternoon without being bothered by 50 other people.

If someone could key me in on a good spot I would really appreciate it. I am willing to drive within two hours of Anchorage.

Thanks!

I doubt you get much of a response for several reasons.
    First there not going to give a place over a open net for all to read.
    Secondly most if not just about all of the places have been closed off because people (not all ) can't be responsible about there use and clean up after themselves or won't haul out there garbage. They seem to think they have to haul out the broke fridge to shot at and then leave it.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Alaska doesn't have a lot of road system so there aren't a lot of gravel pits. Those that were available for plinking have mostly been closed because they have been trashed. 300,000 people in Anchorage makes it difficult to find a secluded place within two hours drive that you can shoot without having someone getting in the line of fire. Also, few roads means everyone is concentrated on those few roads. The new public range at Maud road is supposed to be open in Sept and will probably be your best choice.

If you want to shoot without many other people around, an EPM (exclusive park membership) card at Birchwood is probably your best bet. It'll set you back $175/year, but you can shoot on off-hours and off-days. I often have the range to myself when I go.

Brian is right on. By the time you use the gas to drive a couple of hours and back a few times you will have spent more than the membership card.

Not to mention the frustration of getting stuck trying to get to the few places you can shoot or the cost of flat repairs after you pick up nails from all the burnt pallets.

Thanks for the tip on the Birchwood membership. I wasn't aware of that.

Still looking for other non-range places to go. If anyone would be willing to PM me a good spot I would really appreciate it. I always pack away more garbage than I bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteClimber View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the Birchwood membership. I wasn't aware of that.

Still looking for other non-range places to go. If anyone would be willing to PM me a good spot I would really appreciate it. I always pack away more garbage than I bring in.
    get the epm at birchwood, best deal going and they should have what you want

you can shoot past Friday creek out at the knik public use area. Just don't leave trash! I bring steel so no worries about trash. other than that its tough.. from anch its a drive no matter what. If your military there is also a range on ft rich that is usually pretty quiet you can use after you take a class.

Wherever you go find a real backstop. A tree is not a backstop!!! So many people have set up and ripped rounds off into the forest around the valley that many of us have been nearly shot or had our vehicles and homes hit. My old man and I got pinned down by a guy blazing away with an SKS while we were out bunny hunting rabbit slough many years ago. I had a 9mm hole in my bedroom wall at my last house down KGB.