Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whittier parking,Rates and slip updates

Default Whittier parking,Rates and slip updates

Just got back from Whittier shrimping. The boat yard had no snow do not know why they were not open maybe waiting for it to dry up. The harbor master just said park in the pavement lot. Also they are selling half of the transit slips. So if you use them at all it's going to be tuff this summer if you get back late to the harbor

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

they needed to raise the rates to cover all the improvements they made ????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    The gal at the top of the ramp get new teeth?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Getting Cheaper to go to Seward all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man- that is quite the jump. Making backpacking into the chugach look better each year.........

Holy crap. I'm pissed. I just bought my launch pass even though I knew I should have just launched for free like many others. What a bunch of asshats in that crap hole of a town. They should just blow the tunnel and leave them to themselves.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Nothing will ever change unless enough folks push there hand in doing so.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Never gonna change, If hated it as much as some of the other whinners I would go to Seward also. I am guessing that when the shrimping gets closed there will be alot less boaters wanting to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Holy crap. I'm pissed. I just bought my launch pass even though I knew I should have just launched for free like many others. What a bunch of asshats in that crap hole of a town. They should just blow the tunnel and leave them to themselves.
    What is the launch fee? I forgot. Did it increase, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    What is the launch fee? I forgot. Did it increase, too?
    Don't remember but 2 nights parking and 2 nights in a slip plus the launch was $68
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Launch is still $20 a day or $153 for the year if I remember right. I paid for a few says of parking at the same time so I sort of lost track.
    MMSI# 338232859

Any more the only reason I do go to Whittier is for the shrimping, I will only make it there once this year and the rest will be Seward or Homer.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Launch is still $20 a day or $153 for the year if I remember right. I paid for a few says of parking at the same time so I sort of lost track.
    You can pay for an annual launch fee? How do they regulate that? Is there a sticker or something. Even if I don't launch my boat 8 times this year its just easier than remembering to have enough cash to cover both parking and launch.

Two. It's a sticker. I usually just out it on the boat window. Some people put it on the trailer but I don't want it stolen while it's in that dump of a parking lot
    MMSI# 338232859

So, regular parking for my truck and trailer is $15 per day. $45 for a Fri - Sun typical weekend. Seasonal is $700.00 which at $45 a weekend is 15.5 weekends. I might be able to launch 12 weekends between now and Oct. Annual launch fee is $153.00. So what does $853 get me in the way of convenience? I still have to wait in line to launch, but I with an annual launch pass I don't have to worry about that paperwork and I still have to drive my truck and trailer over to the lot and walk back, but don't have to pay anyone for the parking cause I bought the $700.00 seasonal pass. I'm not seeing any real time saver other than not having to fill out paperwork and carry cash. Am I missing something. Do seasonal parking pass holders get closer parking? Is there a special launch for annual launch pass holders (I'm being sarcastic) but you catch my drift. Anyways, only been launching one year at Whittier so maybe I'm missing something. I'm willing to pay for convenience or preference, but for those prices I can also teach myself to remember cash and have the wife fill out the paperwork like I see everyone else's wife doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    So, regular parking for my truck and trailer is $15 per day. $45 for a Fri - Sun typical weekend. Seasonal is $700.00 which at $45 a weekend is 15.5 weekends. I might be able to launch 12 weekends between now and Oct. Annual launch fee is $153.00. So what does $853 get me in the way of convenience? I still have to wait in line to launch, but I with an annual launch pass I don't have to worry about that paperwork and I still have to drive my truck and trailer over to the lot and walk back, but don't have to pay anyone for the parking cause I bought the $700.00 seasonal pass. I'm not seeing any real time saver other than not having to fill out paperwork and carry cash. Am I missing something. Do seasonal parking pass holders get closer parking? Is there a special launch for annual launch pass holders (I'm being sarcastic) but you catch my drift. Anyways, only been launching one year at Whittier so maybe I'm missing something. I'm willing to pay for convenience or preference, but for those prices I can also teach myself to remember cash and have the wife fill out the paperwork like I see everyone else's wife doing.
    The convenience to the parking pass is if you buy early you can secure a space in the front ( flat) lot instead of parking in the trailer killing back lot. I'm not trying to sell you on writing that check though.... My boat will be in the cheaper friendlier town of Seward this year.

1S1K,

Here is some analysis. For the guys like me that plan to leave their boat in
    Whittier it is a wash (I actually save money because we spend around 40 days
    worth of parking a year). The upside for me is that I leave the boat and save
    the wear and tear on the truck and the trailer plus don't have the trailering
    restrictions on the holidays for being oversize. Plus depending on the person
    measuring my boat I get nailed for a $300 tunnel fee so I am well ahead at that
    point. This is analysis based on my truck and boat setup, yours will be similar
    but since you will probably tow home so you can use it on the pen as well you
    would be the first two options.

Things you pay for: Towing Home Towing Home Leaving in Whittier
    Seasonal Pass $ 700.00 $ - $ 700.00
    Oversize fees $ 250.00 $ 250.00 $ 70.00
    Parking per trip $ - $ 45.00 $ - average 3 days / trip
    Truck Gas per trip $ 85.00 $ 85.00 $ 45.00
    Tunnel Fee $ 35.00 $ 35.00 $ 12.00
    Extra $ for Whittier Fuel $ - $ - $ 50.00 Based on 100 gallons
    Total for 12 trips $ 2,390.00 $ 2,230.00 $ 2,054.00
    Total for 15 trips $ 2,750.00 $ 2,725.00 $ 2,375.00
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I like to make the trip up from Seward. Get some nice halibut on the way into the sound. Shrimp for a few days and work my way into Whittier, take 4 to 5 days to get there. Have someone bring my trailer into Whittier to pull the boat and don't have to get cleaned out by all the locals with there hands out. Only pay $35 for the tunnel and pulling fee. The gallons of gas burned is a bit more but no parking fee and other expenses plus I get to see a lot of country.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    What did they do, add more rocks and pot holes?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I think they should rename it BOHICA, Alaska.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast