Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Hunt

Default Spring Black Bear Hunt

From everything I read I may be a little early to try to find a black bear but it is still possible. I have the next two weekends with the family out and would like to try to find something just not 100% sure on where I should go. Anybody willing to help me out and possibly point me in a direction? I am thinking of possibly looking around Hope and maybe around the Sutton area but if someone has any other thoughts I would love to hear them.

I think you are on the right track.

Skip sutton. Cooper landing/ hope area.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Sutton and Hope both have bears....but plan on spending time with a hundred of your new best friends if you go! Cooper Landing would be an infinitely better choice.

Yep, went down toward Hope and then on toward Seward, couldn't believe how many people were out there!!! Lots of trucks parked on the side of the road scanning the mountain sides....gonna get worse as time goes on too.

Just pick a trail on any mountain and then go up. Very few people are capable of spotting a bear from the road and finding it again when they are on the mountain 4 hours later. Many of the folks scanning from the highway are bear watchers, whether they know it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Just pick a trail on any mountain and then go up. Very few people are capable of spotting a bear from the road and finding it again when they are on the mountain 4 hours later. Many of the folks scanning from the highway are bear watchers, whether they know it or not.

The thing is, when you spot a bear from the road you gotta be realistic when deciding weather or not the bear is even remotely worth going after. I don't believe I would ever go after a bear that I thought it was going to take 4 hours to get to. The couple bears I've spotted from the road I've gone up and killed within 15 minutes to an hour or so. It's very doable, just gotta find the right bear.

Oh yeah......being somewhat in shape doesn't hurt either....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well went down to Hope today and needless to say I didn't see anything. Between the strong winds, torrential rainfall, occasional snow showers and temps in the upper 30's my want to walk around in the woods quickly disappeared. Did see a few others on the side of the roads scoping out some areas.

try calling, bears coming out of the dens are hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    try calling, bears coming out of the dens are hungry.
    Just make sure you got eyes on the back of your head......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Ran about 10 calling stands today here on the peninsula. No luck. No sign. Any recommendations for calling sequences. I'm new to calling and may be over doing the snowshoe hare call. Ive tried distressed coyote pups, woodpeckers, jack rabbits, and crow calls. Only use one distressed call per stand and tried combining with a coyote howl. Started calling early winter and have gone out a dozen times or so. Had a coyote come screaming in one time but that was it.

I carried a 450 marlin today... Just in case. Little over kill for coyotes haha but was hoping for a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So, so true. I've called black bears and they either sneak in very quiet and tentatively or they come in like they're trying to be the first one there. We sit back to back and have signals to let each other know what's going on. Calling blind hasn't worked well. It works best on bears you spot from a distance and then start using different calls to find one that piques his interest. Once he starts coming, stick with that call and give him time. It may take more than an hour.

I found this guy out and about today.

Congrats!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    very true!!!! i was calling one day and didnt see anything, i got up to leave and as i was walking out of a clearing there were fresh bear tracks over my fresh tracks that werent there just 20 minutes before, never saw it....pretty sneaky for big animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    So, so true. I've called black bears and they either sneak in very quiet and tentatively or they come in like they're trying to be the first one there. We sit back to back and have signals to let each other know what's going on. Calling blind hasn't worked well. It works best on bears you spot from a distance and then start using different calls to find one that piques his interest. Once he starts coming, stick with that call and give him time. It may take more than an hour.
    sometimes you can see them and when you call they merely look around and basically dont respond and continue on with what they are doing even though they are close enough to be in shooting range...that particular bear didnt respond to my call so i promptly shot him where he was at. would have been nice to see him come right to me though.
    nice bear...very dark muzzle. beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    very true!!!! i was calling one day and didnt see anything, i got up to leave and as i was walking out of a clearing there were fresh bear tracks over my fresh tracks that werent there just 20 minutes before, never saw it....pretty sneaky for big animals.
    Called one in a few years ago. Sitting on a small set of cliffs in brush. Wind calm, leaves dry…..thinking I'd hear one a mile off. Well, at some point theres a black bear belly crawling--looking like a cat stalking a mouse at about 40 yards. Never heard him nor saw him come in. Was just there. Gave me a new respect of calling bears. He was almost 7' too. Not a runt.

Anyway, like the man said pretty sneaky. Be careful.

Congrats, Nice Bear!!

Last spring I Spotted a bear for my Son pretty hight up.., We made a hour climb and got to with in 75 yards of a alder patch we could clearly see it in.. small alder patch completely surrounded by snow on a steep, steep hillside. we could see the (black) and knew he was in their but wouldnt offer a clear shot due to branches, etc. we waited him out for over a hour and never moved.. (presumed he was snoozing).. so to speed things up a bit I got my Son in the prone position and used my pack as a rest. I made a rabbit squeel softly and got louder and louder until it responded.. it turned and came straight down the hill.. at 20 yards it popped out right in front of us on the edge of the alders and stood and looked..BOOM.. he smoked it.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

A moose calf mouth bleat does wonders with brown bear in some areas...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast