Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Hooligan

Default 2014 Hooligan

...what hooligan look like on sonar...

I just cant wait for them to show up. This is going to be my first year dipping for them.

Was hoping someone would start a thread

I'm so dang tired of red salmon, i'm getting butterflies at the thought of an entire plate full of hooligan! be careful with feeding too many of them to your dogs though, it can kill them. too much vitamin A i think. a couple prominent mushers warned me of this, due to lost dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'm so dang tired of red salmon, i'm getting butterflies at the thought of an entire plate full of hooligan! be careful with feeding too many of them to your dogs though, it can kill them. too much vitamin A i think. a couple prominent mushers warned me of this, due to lost dogs.
    Interesting part about the dogs... I guess just about too much of anything can kill something.
    ... we still have one smoked vacuum sealed package in our freezer

I drove past 20 mile yesterday and there were a lot of eagles in the shallow low tide waters. Must be some hooligan showing up.

Hi all. I've read about you guys dippin' hoolies (as well as a couple videos) for years and finally want to give it a go. I was wondering if any of you aficionados would be willing to meet up and kind of show me the ropes? I'd hate to come all the way down from Fairbanks to completely flounder! I was thinking of heading down for the weekend of May 24-25ish and might either be in the motorhome with the dogs or more likely just shootin' on down in the truck and tenting it. Hell, I really even don't want that many as I would probably smoke most of them up but its an experience I'm more looking for. Feel free to shoot me a PM if anyone is willing to play instructor!

Cheers,

PK

Drove a bus load of kids to the Wildlife Center yesterday and passed 20 mile during the am high tide. Belugas were porposing at the bridge and hooligan were jumping all over trying to get away. I don't think it's the "full blown" run yet, but they are there.

Default ...dreaming...

...dreaming...

Did anyone go to the 20 mile this weekend, any Hooligan?

A friend got 1 on the Kenai on the first in a 20' net. He said his friend got 5.
    They are starting to trickle in.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    Did anyone go to the 20 mile this weekend, any Hooligan?
    Went out Saturday morning. Got 3 between 2 of us, similiarly slow for everyone else. Lots of belugas and birds just a bit out the river in the arm. A coworker went out Sunday and got 25.

Default Hooligan Hotline

• Hooligan should be available in the Susitna River once the river is boatable and ice free.
    • For best results try the mouth of the Yentna or just downstream of the Deshka River.
    • You must hold an Alaskan resident sport fishing license (or ADF&G senior license or ADF&G Disabled Veteran’s license) in order to use a dipnet to catch hooligan. You may take as many hooligan as you will use.
    • Contact the hooligan hotline for more information area wide at 267-2515.

FYI, from ADF&G Southcentral Management Area Fishing Reports

I was out at the mouth of 20 mile this weekend. It was slow to fair. If you had a great spot folks were doing great on the swing tides. Otherwise it was slow to nothing. I dipped about 5 total hours and got 2 full gallon bags full.

I went out to the 20 mile as well but fished along the highway only did it for two or three hours. The only thing I got was a tan So im hoping that this next weekend is better.

Default Hooligan Tides

Add 45 minutes to these Anchorage tides for the Twentymile River.

Default starting to come in

3 hours on the falling tide just after high tide.
    got about 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket with one net.
    mostly just one at a time, with a few doubles,
    one last burst of 4 to 6 at a time for 5 minutes then had to leave.

time to fillet and smoke .........

Some of my wife's relatives went today along the arm. Got one bucket in two hours. There's a few there, and if you're desperate I suppose you could get some, but I won't go when fishing is that slow. It'll pick up fast in the next 1-2 weeks, though. Always does. Just have to be patient.

Did decent on this past sat after tide went out, get mostly 1 or 2 per scope, all good time except for the bonehead running his phantom up and down the 20 mile, kinda nice to see when he was loading his boat he tried to put it in the back of his pickup bed

I wander if that was the same guy on Saturday. I don't know what he was doing just going up and down where everyone was trying to fish. some people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast