Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Seward Area Summer Creek/River Bows

  1. #1

    Default Seward Area Summer Creek/River Bows

    Hi All-

    My first post/thread. I am a lower 48 denizen that works in the Seward charter fishery during the summers. I've had limited success with fishing for dollies/rainbows in the Seward area and I would like some advice for this upcoming summer.

    My transportation is limited and very unreliable so I am stuck in about a 5-10mile range of Seward up the Seward Hwy.

    I've attempted fishing in a few of the lakes near Seward: Bear Lake, Grayling, Meridian, Troop and I have had some success, but they are a bit outside my driving range. I was wondering if the local rivers/creeks have any rainbows or dollies. I do mostly just catch and release unless they are foul hooked.

    I was wondering about Lost Creek, Salmon Creek, and Bear Creek. Does anyone know if rainbows exist in these waters? I have done some extensive searching online and have not found any valid information about bows in any of these waters, but again they are all very small. Also, if anyone has any advice for other Creeks/Rivers near Seward that support Bow populations, or Dollies, please let me know. After working on the ocean all day I like to sit back and fish ultra-light tackle for the small ones, I get tired of batting 'butts, ling, and rockies.

    Most people just drive an hour further for the Kenai, but I do not have that luxury.

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Not many Bows left in that area after ADF&G killed Bear Lake to remove them for salmon many years ago, early in the season fish for Dollies along Lowell point beach. Salmon Creek and Bear Creek have Dollies in them, and you may still hit a Bow now and then, any clear water in the Seward area has Dollies at some point during the year, if you see salmon there will be trout. Even the small creeks out by the Dump have trout in them, just not large till late in the fall, we used to get some nice sized Char/Dollies in them then.

  3. #3
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Preachers Pond in the early Spring used to have a great run of Dollies...Not sure if that is still the case. As Flyman stated, there's some fishing to be had within your range, but it's not much. Where it me, I'd make 2 signs out of cardboard, one with "Russian River or bust" and another with "Seward Bound" and then get your best smile on your face as you hold one up alongside the highway, depending on which direction you're headed. I spent a season at a lodge in Denali many moons ago, and the cardboard sign did the trick way better than a thumb for getting a ride....folks like to know how long you'll be in their rig. Don't let a lack of wheels inhibit you when you're so close to such amazing fishing.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  4. #4
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default

    Grouse Creek?

  5. #5

    Default

    Preacher's Pond has a few dollies early on, but they are usually out of there soon.

    Grouse Creek... is that the creek that exits Grouse Lake, a few miles up the Hwy? I believe I have fished there, with no success.

    If I had more time I'd do some hitchhiking to the Russian, but I work 12 hour days and don't have time for forays outside of the immediate Seward area.

    Flyman- I am not sure where the dump is in Seward, which streams are you referring to?

    Also, thanks a lot for all of the help guys. I have heard from one individual in Seward that Salmon Creek has resident Rainbows, but there is not much access. Can anyone confirm any of this information?

    Again, I am not looking to ruin anyone's fishing hole, just looking for a place to C and R some bows/dollies that is not saltwater.

  6. #6
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default

    There used to be some dandy LARGE dollies in there even long after ice-up. I bet they are late season fish, but I really couldn't say.

  7. #7
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    I don't know if it is too far but I know there are some streams that dump into the Seward side of Kenai lake that have both in them. Only problem is I have never seen any life in those streams till salmon start to show up.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I don't know if it is too far but I know there are some streams that dump into the Seward side of Kenai lake that have both in them. Only problem is I have never seen any life in those streams till salmon start to show up.
    This is a bit too far for me.

    I have fished Ptarmigan creek and picked up some rainbows and dollies, but my current transportation can't get me that far.

    Has anyone fished Bear creek?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Lowell Creek, Spruce Creek, and Tonsina Creek are options as well. Try smolt patterns at the mouth for some sea-run dollies.

    AKTroutGuy

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKTroutGuy View Post
    Lowell Creek, Spruce Creek, and Tonsina Creek are options as well. Try smolt patterns at the mouth for some sea-run dollies.

    AKTroutGuy
    Do you know if any of those have rainbows?

    I know Tonsina Creek is way past Lowell point along the Res. Bay walk, and I think Lowell Creek is probably out at Lowell Point. Where is Spruce Creek?

  11. #11
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    I have caught dollies and rainbows in Ptarmigan creek. There are lots of dollies in Grouse lake just outside of Seward, some nice ones too. I've only ice fished it, but it was great fishing! I've even caught small trout in '2 Lakes' right there in town.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I have caught dollies and rainbows in Ptarmigan creek. There are lots of dollies in Grouse lake just outside of Seward, some nice ones too. I've only ice fished it, but it was great fishing! I've even caught small trout in '2 Lakes' right there in town.
    Hi- I have fished Ptarmigan Creek and I landed a nice sea run dolly there. It's a bit outside of Seward though. Looking for something a little closer.

    It seems as if no one fishes for bows in Seward proper although there must be some... right?

  13. #13
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilije View Post
    Hi- I have fished Ptarmigan Creek and I landed a nice sea run dolly there. It's a bit outside of Seward though. Looking for something a little closer.

    It seems as if no one fishes for bows in Seward proper although there must be some... right?
    Grew up there, never fished for rainbows in town....too many MUCH better opportunities a short jaunt away.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Grew up there, never fished for rainbows in town....too many MUCH better opportunities a short jaunt away.
    I will be driving a 1980 something Dodge Omni that was worth 200 bucks when it was bought about 8 years ago. I am just hoping that it still runs when I get back to Seward. It has been sitting since last August when the charter season ended. I don't trust it to make it to the Kenai. I wouldn't trust the car to get me to Moose pass and back.

    Bear Lake is as far as I can go, which is a shame, because I want to get some rainbows.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilije View Post
    Do you know if any of those have rainbows?

    I know Tonsina Creek is way past Lowell point along the Res. Bay walk, and I think Lowell Creek is probably out at Lowell Point. Where is Spruce Creek?
    You may get a random rainbow further up river towards the lakes (that would be a hike though), but most of the stuff at the mouths will be sea run dolly varden. Spruce Creek is in between Lowell Creek, and Tonsina Creek (the road crosses it on your way to park to the hike to Tonsina).

    One I left out was Fourth of July Creek. I have not been to that side of the bay in a very long time, but can produce there as well.

    AKTroutGuy

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilije View Post
    It seems as if no one fishes for bows in Seward proper although there must be some... right?
    Just like AKHippie said, there are just better options a little ways down the road for trout.

    I do like fishing places in complete solitude, and those places are pretty quiet!

    AKTroutGuy

  17. #17
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    You said you where working on the charter fleet in town?

    Network with other charter folks, as well as guests, I'd wager with a bit of planning and pooling of funds you could be hitting some dandy trout water an hour from town quite regularly.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  18. #18
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    4th of July creek has awesome dolly fishing. In the resurrection river I used to fish a hole below the Nash road bridge that was hot for silvers and dollies. Biggest dolly I caught there was 28" and fat! And so bright I thought it was a silver. I stopped fishing and packed up cuz I mistakenly thought I had my 3 silver limit. ( this was when it was still 3 silvers). Later on when i took it out the cooler for filleting I noticed the dolly spots. Awesome surprise. Grouse creek/ lake has done me well for dollies as well and so has bear creek, clear creek and salmon creek but first you gotta find the salmon. Dollies stay with them like flies on ****. Never saw a rainbow in any of those creeks. But, I have heard rumors that rainbows have been caught in the lake in the middle of town.



    Release Lake Trout

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    You said you where working on the charter fleet in town?

    Network with other charter folks, as well as guests, I'd wager with a bit of planning and pooling of funds you could be hitting some dandy trout water an hour from town quite regularly.
    Yeah I work on the charter boats. I can always get together with others to get some, but I love the solitude of fishing by myself, I don't need massive bows, just something small and peaceful to lose the stress from being out with needy clients all day.

    But, let's just say I widen my search to thirty minutes outside Seward, would that open up any river/creek possibilities for bows, or would I need to go all the way to the Kenai?

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    4th of July creek has awesome dolly fishing. In the resurrection river I used to fish a hole below the Nash road bridge that was hot for silvers and dollies. Biggest dolly I caught there was 28" and fat! And so bright I thought it was a silver. I stopped fishing and packed up cuz I mistakenly thought I had my 3 silver limit. ( this was when it was still 3 silvers). Later on when i took it out the cooler for filleting I noticed the dolly spots. Awesome surprise. Grouse creek/ lake has done me well for dollies as well and so has bear creek, clear creek and salmon creek but first you gotta find the salmon. Dollies stay with them like flies on ****. Never saw a rainbow in any of those creeks. But, I have heard rumors that rainbows have been caught in the lake in the middle of town.
    Sorry for the double post, not sure how to do two quotes in one message.

    I've fished the mouth of 4th of July for some snaggin' action. Would the dollies be upstream a bit or down near the mouth? If I were to hike upstream a bit, would that lead me anywhere?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •