Thread: New heavyweight mold in .375

Default New heavyweight mold in .375

Let the good times begin! 353 grains of .375 goodness! As cast and one run through a .377 sizer. Tom at Accurate molds creates functional pieces of art.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like that I do!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Good god that's one hell of a slug. If I may ask what the mold ran you and how long did it take for you to get it? I have been loading for my .375 but have had trouble with boat tails I can't get a accurate round (2 1/2" MOA @ 100yrds at best) with them. What powder and how many grains are you loading behind that and what fps are you trying to get? I assume under 1600fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it's easy you're doing it wrong

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=38-350R-D.png

It took a little over a week and a half to get the mold once I ordered it. I am still experimenting with powders, but Unique, 2400, IMR4198, and Ramshot Big Game have shown promise. I am shooting for accuracy, hope the velocity is in the 2000 fps neighborhood, I could get it to 2300 in the big Ruger case, but this bullet won't need speed to do the job, only to flatten trajectory.

2000fps is where I'd want to be, and something around 18BHN. What chambering you shooting, 375 Ruger?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yes, I am shooting the 375 Ruger, and despite the base sticking well below the neck, I am getting very good accuracy.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

It's not apples to apples, however I experimented with a Lyman 264 gr gas checked bullet out of my 375 H&H and also a couple different 375 Winchesters. In the H&H I think I used Reloader 15, and the Winchesters I used Reloader 7. Was able to push them to 2, 000 without any leading issues using plain ww alloy, both air cooled and watter dropped. Best accuracy was obtained betweem 1850 and 1900 fps. The air cooled bullets expanded a bit when shot into soft wet clay, the water dropped bullets did not expand at all.
    Good luck!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

So far I have tried 270gr Paper Patched with so so accuracy, 335gr RNGC with excellent accuracy, and a 360gr FNGC which inspired the design of this bullet. These won't need to be pushed very fast to be effective. I will have to try some air cooled ones, I have smashed a few with my 5lb maul, and they expand but pretty much hold together, they are hard and tough when water dropped. I know that isn't the same as shooting them, but I am known to abuse the few that are going back into the pot anyway. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Fyi, I found that water dropped bullets would initially be as hard as 22 bn, but over time seem to age soften back to the same hardness as the air cooled bullets. Cant say how long this process takes, however I found that those tested after a year were all soft. A consideration if you are planning to ccast a bunch for long term storage and future use.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thanks, I have experienced the same thing, although not many bullets make it to a year!