Thread: 300 Win Mag loads?

Default 300 Win Mag loads?

Just purchased a 300 WM. Any favorite loads you are willing to share? The gun I purchased was using 68gr IMR 4350 with 168 gr bullets, but looking to move into a 180 grain load.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    Just purchased a 300 WM. Any favorite loads you are willing to share? The gun I purchased was using 68gr IMR 4350 with 168 gr bullets, but looking to move into a 180 grain load.

Thanks.
    I've tried lots of combinations in various 300 WM, but seem to end up with either 4831 (IMR or H) or Reloader 22. My present 300 WM has always liked 4831 best and that's what I load. As for particular charge weights with 180 grain bullets, most manuals list a starting charge of around 68 grains of IMR 4831 and I'd work up from there until I find 3050-3100 fps depending on the rifle. I use magnum primers with that much 4831 or RL22.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've got two 300 Win mags, It's probably my favorite caliber in a hunting rifle for AK, to me, it can do it all, even at longer ranges. I'm loading with 73.3 grains of IMR 4831 pushing 180 grain Accubonds with Fed 215 Magnum primers @ 3120 fps.

How do you like Accubonds? I have heard from different individuals of accubonds not penetrating effectively on moose?

How do you like Accubonds? I have heard from different individuals of accubonds not penetrating effectively on moose?
    I like the Nosler accubonds and/or Barnes TTSX, probably the only two bullets I will hunt with, I am trying some Nosler e-tips and ballistic tips in some smaller calibers and other rifles, but the long range accuracy I'm getting in my .300 WM, I don't think I can get any other bullet to shoot any better and I have tried quite a few. It does shoot the 168 grain barnes TTSX almost as well too.

I'm pretty partial to Barnes TTSXs as well. My 270 loves them.

You might want to try a search. Not too long ago there was a big long thread on 300WM loads.

Thanks.
    I shoot a Rem 700, and it really, really likes 69 grains of IMR4831 pushing a 180 grain Nosler Partition. Not super fast, but deadly accurate!

Not to be a tool, but you need to buy a load book. That being said, I'll concur with everyone else and say my favorite powder for the 300WM is Reloader 22 and IMR 4831 (or Hogdon 4831).

My favorite two load books are the Nosler and the Sierra books.

The Accubonds are supposed to be an improvement over the old Ballistic Tip. The ABs have a thicker shank that is supposed to hold up better. They shoot really well in my gun, as do the Partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I like the Nosler accubonds and/or Barnes TTSX, probably the only two bullets I will hunt with, I am trying some Nosler e-tips and ballistic tips in some smaller calibers and other rifles, but the long range accuracy I'm getting in my .300 WM, I don't think I can get any other bullet to shoot any better and I have tried quite a few. It does shoot the 168 grain barnes TTSX almost as well too.
    Not meaning to high-jack, but do you mind sharing which 300WM(s) you currently own? I'm in the market for one and would like to get a few rough ideas. Thanks in advance.

Mark

My Ruger M77 shoots best with Rel 22 and 200gn Barnes LRX.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Not meaning to high-jack, but do you mind sharing which 300WM(s) you currently own? I'm in the market for one and would like to get a few rough ideas. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark, My go to rifle here in AK, and is probably my favorite is my 300 Min Mag, Rifles INC, Strata custom (built on a trimmed up Remington Action) that Lex built, its light, with the scope its 6 lbs. 1 oz. Its topped with a Swarovski Z5 3.5 x18x 44 with BRH reticles. My other 300 Min Mag, is a Steyr Mannlicher in synthetic and stainless with a 26" barrel topped with a Kahles 5x 12x 56, I used it on my African Plains game hunt, shoots very accurate but the only draw back is it weighs 9lbs. 13 oz. and is on the heavy side. 300 win mag is a great round, I don't think it kicks as much as my 375 H&H. I'm surprised you don't own one already. I don't know what your wanting to spend, but I'm sure your wanting a synthetic stainless combination and there are some good off the shelf models out there, I'd look at Winchester, HS precision and/or the new Forbes stainless models, heard they came out with new calibers and 300WM was one of them...

I am shooting a Ruger #1 with VX-6 3-18x. Was accurized (hanger modification) by previous owner and is very accurate. Still working on the load development but narrowing down to a 200 grain Accubond with H4831. A little on the heavy side but I am partial to wood and blued rifles. Have lots of stainless models, but I guess I am a traditionalist. Always wanted the single shot as well so its fun. All depends what you want it for.

Saw a Tikka T3 at Fred Meyer in 300 Win Mag for $630. Just change the recoil pad out for a replacement Limbsaver as the factory one is rather hard.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Mark, My go to rifle here in AK, and is probably my favorite is my 300 Min Mag, Rifles INC, Strata custom (built on a trimmed up Remington Action) that Lex built, its light, with the scope its 6 lbs. 1 oz. Its topped with a Swarovski Z5 3.5 x18x 44 with BRH reticles. My other 300 Min Mag, is a Steyr Mannlicher in synthetic and stainless with a 26" barrel topped with a Kahles 5x 12x 56, I used it on my African Plains game hunt, shoots very accurate but the only draw back is it weighs 9lbs. 13 oz. and is on the heavy side. 300 win mag is a great round, I don't think it kicks as much as my 375 H&H. I'm surprised you don't own one already. I don't know what your wanting to spend, but I'm sure your wanting a synthetic stainless combination and there are some good off the shelf models out there, I'd look at Winchester, HS precision and/or the new Forbes stainless models, heard they came out with new calibers and 300WM was one of them...
    I really appreciate your response. Even though I really like my Tikka for the $ I have been eyeing the Win 70's for a while.. I just dove into reloading within the past year and the 300WM ballistics have been catching my eye.

A custom build really hasn't crossed my mind but is definitely a good option and one I hadn't thought of. Thanks again for the food for thought.