Thread: anyone ever fished for lake trout in skilak??

Default anyone ever fished for lake trout in skilak??

Just wondering if I would be waisting my time trying?? Never caught a laker before so I figured i need to catch one. Does anyone have any info on how/when/where to catch lakers??? Any info would be great.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Chris Batin

I can't recommend this book enough. I haven't myself fished for them but if you haven't, this book explains it all. How to catch Alaska's Trophy Sportfish.

First off, watch the regs. More than anything else, do not break current laws!

As to your question...??? YES. It is a good water for lakers, rainbows, and dollies.

The regs change more than the fish do.

Default Yes...

... know the regs, but watch the winds!

There are some really nice lakers in Skilak. I have not fished from a boat, but have seen some beauties pulled through the ice at the outflow. They tend to be much paler than the Hidden lakers, and I suspicion that whatever you troll, you will have to leave a heavy scent trail, because the lake is very silty. When looking down into an ice hole, you can't see very far. You might try mooching herring as you drift, as this will give the fish more of a chance to bite on what you have to offer. For trolling, Hidden may be the better bet.

if I were targeting lakers I'd probably jig around the islands between the boat launch and the mouth of the kenai. Caught a lot of 12-16 inchers on eggs while camping on kenai lake
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Hidden lake last week, 20" approx. 5#.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default what about Kenai

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    Just wondering if I would be waisting my time trying?? Never caught a laker before so I figured i need to catch one. Does anyone have any info on how/when/where to catch lakers??? Any info would be great.
    What about Kenai Lake? Is it any good for lakers?