Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Praying for a successful harvest?

Default Praying for a successful harvest?

Financially we will not starve if I fail to harvest and honestly the bottom line would fare better if I gave up hunting and spent the summer raising a pig or two and a bunch of chickens. We certainly prefer wild game and cherish the meat we bring home but it is far from necessary for survival. Because of this I never felt it was appropriate to ask god for more than safety in the field.

I have had some success over the years though I am certainly not an acclaimed hunter. This last fall was my third dedicated sheep hunt and it wasn't looking like finding me a sheep was likely. For the first time I laid down to bed and actually prayed that my hard work be rewarded in a very specific manner. I asked god that should he will me to have success that there would be a ram in the little canyon a few hundred yards from camp the following day. I had mentioned to Kotton several times what a blessing it would be should we find one there but felt rather guilty for asking that of The Lord.

The next morning I got up and went to a gravel bed to use the restroom and as I hung a cheek of a rock I looked up at that canyon and saw a white spot where non had been before.

I rousted Kotton and after a short stalk I put a 160 grain nosler partition through that ram's heart as he lay there in his bed only about 500 yards from our spike camp. We hiked down and grabbed our packs then went back up to retrieve him from the canyon floor. As I lay hands on him for the first time, cradling his horns in my hand and stroking his back I thanked god for the blessing but in the back of my mind it felt self serving to have asked god for something so specific that wasn't truly a need.

I have prayed many times after doing everything in my power to get a needed result. Laying on the ground as mortars landed near by, facing financial ruin if a house didn't sell when the market crumbled, taking incoming fire in the back of a helicopter are generally the level things reach before I have prayed for myself.on the other hand I ask at least daily for loved ones and those around me to be taken care of and looked after. As I reflect I realize that I usually pray for things not to happen which leaves plenty of room to question whether it was gods hand or just luck of the draw. For all the frivolity of asking that a sheep be in a particular place at a particular time it sure was surreal to have it granted.

Perhaps he did it simply to show me that he was there listening all along.

Great Post thank you for sharing!!

I sure get it, I do. When all else fails and hope is nowhere to be found, prayer is often the final act.

"I pray that I may have everything I need, some things I want, and all the good things in life. I also pray I can accept that You know what I need, and that You will decide what things are good for me."

I always kind of liked that prayer. Praying for a specific outcome seems at once perfectly logical and odd to me whenever I do it.

Good thread.

Congrats on the Ram!

Just so I'm clear on this.... religious posts are allowed on this forum but not in the global discussion forum? Hmph...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Congrats on the Ram!

Just so I'm clear on this.... religious posts are allowed on this forum but not in the global discussion forum? Hmph...
    Careful now you are not suppose to call out management. They might dock you four rep points. Whatever those are. Additionally they are men of faith btw...

I will try to stay out of the religious talk. One thing for sure is nothing makes me more uncomfortable in the mountains then Jeebus talk...

Even though I see no sense in religion, I sure admire someone who sticks with and is dedicated to his beliefs like you are. Prayer might help or it might be just a placebo but it sure seems to be a calming and comforting thing for some people. Congrats on your ram. You deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Careful now you are not suppose to call out management. They might dock you four rep points. Whatever those are. Additionally they are men of faith btw...

I will try to stay out of the religious talk. One thing for sure is nothing makes me more uncomfortable in the mountains then Jeebus talk...
    I have faith, atheist friends and drink PBR. I don't sing hymns or give sermons.

Plenty of people who aren't religious will say a prayer when the need arises.

Seen to much that can't be explained to not believe.
    Good thought provoking post.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My dad once told me when I was a lot younger and I asked him about Christianity and why he believes in a higher power. His answer to me was "I would rather live my life living a good Christian life and believing in God only to find out I wasted my time on earth than live my life not believing in God and waste an eternity."
    I do believe that religion is as most things getting too commercialized but I can't get in the mountains on a clear beautiful day, look around and believe that there is nothing but us floating around in space. I've seen too many things in my life and to others to let me believe it's all happening by chance.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    Plenty of people who aren't religious will say a prayer when the need arises.
    Very true!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post

I respect your comment completely. I also don't think it is considered a religious thread when someone is simply stating what they felt and experienced. If someone doesn't feel something when they are in the wilderness or on the water- then I think they need to reflect. Doesn't have to be about a particular belief at all but to realize something is bigger than us. Nothing more spiritual and calming than the outdoors. Just my .02

Lujon: nice post!

Grew up with faith. Still have it, I just choose to sleep in on Sundays. I usually pray for the wind, rain or snow to calm and a steady hand when my crosshairs are lined up. Nothing worse then the hazing at camp in the evenings when you missed your target.

Sent when I should be doing my chores.

I known people that have pray for money, a car, job and sex as far as I know none of them ever got what they ask for, at least not by praying. What does work is working for what you want and that also go for hunting. If you can't find a animal on your own hire a guide or sit down make a list of why other people are successful and follow there lead. I could not afford to hire a guide so I made a list and it work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lujon
    Perhaps he did it simply to show me that he was there listening all along.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Jon, I typed out a longish response to this but deleted it. I totally respect your views and all, but this post/topic coming from a moderator is probably (and yes, unfortunately ... but this is the anonymous internet) not a good idea here on hunting forum. Which should be evident because my own sense of what is allowed here prevents me from posting (and caused me to delete) thoughts on your question.

Sincerely,

One man's personal reflection on an event in his life doesn't make this a "religious post" IMHO.

I enjoyed it, congrats on the ram Lujon.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

With the world the way it is I fine praying for such trivial things un-godly and my higher power would frown on it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think spirituality and hunting are historically connected. Takin life has been sacred on so many levels over the course of history. One man praying don't really make this a religious thread, but more about a connection with the animals and "spirit" (on whatever level you believe that is). He's not preaching teaching or condemning, he's sharing. No different than an alaska native telling us why they say "catch" instead of kill or "one with antlers" instead of saying moose due to superstition that that animals spirit will here that and not be willing to give itself up.
    Let's not make this thread into what it isn't.
    Until we are all dead, we are all wrong and we are all right. Your beliefs can be opposite of mine, that's ok. Don't need to tell lujon why you think he's full of it or why you agree....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Very cool story. For what it's worth, I think God likes when we ask for the small stuff. Beats only talking to Him when we need something...like surviving a fire fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    With the world the way it is I fine praying for such trivial things un-godly and my higher power would frown on it.
    Labeling the harvest of an incredibly majestic white ram as "trivial". Poor choice of words.

More of a spiritual conversation than a religious one.

Lujon, you were praying for it because your soul/spirit was longing for it at that time. That's what its all about IMHO. As stated above, so many only think of prayer when the shat hits the fan. I find myself thinking of it way more when things are exactly right. Like sitting on a high mountain watching the sun set. Or watching a young'n stand over their harvest beaming from ear to ear. Or watching your baby being born. So forth and so on.

When my shat hits the fan, there is no time to pray...
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast