Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "F&G Weakening ...... " AK Dispatch, Sinnott

Default "F&G Weakening ...... " AK Dispatch, Sinnott

An important article, IMO.
    Jim Swan Wetlands in the Knik Watershed also has been suffering from significant outfalls of this described malady (and others) for quite some time, with no end in sight. Unfortunately, the list of forces effecting life sustaining habitats is growing ....

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...es-sanctuaries
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    An important article, IMO.
    Jim Swan Wetlands in the Knik Watershed also has been suffering from significant outfalls of this described malady (and others) for quite some time, with no end in sight. Unfortunately, the list of forces effecting life sustaining habitats is growing ....

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...es-sanctuaries
    There's going to be more and more pushback against preserves and areas where use is limited as the population continues to expand, and more areas of the state are closed to hunting or other public uses. The article states only 1% of Alaska is state preserve; but fails to mention what percentage of the state is federally controlled, privately owned, or off limits to certain users. I just wonder if current policies are a backlash against former policies that were overly restrictive, or a tragic loosening of the reigns on industry and recreation.

I'm always a bit skeptical of Mr. Sinnot's posts, as I recall some of the effects of his leadership in Anchorage. Over 5,000 Canada geese in Anchorage, in habitat suitable for 1500.. until lives were lost nothing was done to address the issue. Problem bears moved from Anchorage to the Kenai; inverse relationship between rise in DLP shootings on the Kenai and relocation of Anchorage bears. This was Sinnot's legacy: Opposition to moose hunts in Anchorage bowl. Opposition to lethal controls on the goose population. Opposition to bear hunting. Blame urban bear maulings on people encroaching on bear habitat, instead of increased bear populations and loss of hereditary fear of humans. He claimed to be shocked when a hair study showed nearly 30 grizzlies on one Anchorage creek instead of the handful he estimated were there.

I'd like to see what the other side of the story is before passing judgement on this administration or the habitat division's policies.

Dunno what in the heck all that has to do with the loss of public comment and the point of the piece about doors opening for development. All I see is another notch in the stock for a guvnor hoping for a big-dollar industry job after his time in Juneau is up. He sure doesn't have a future in politics.

If it wasn't for Sinnott, most of us wouldn't even know about any of this. I applaud him doing the due diligence and getting the info out to the public.

This is wrong on so many levels. And it's just another way to continue taking habitat decisions out of the realm of the biologists who work in the already-severely-decreased Habitat division. I hope folks will write in with comments when the time comes and oppose this.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I remember when Mr. Sinnott was on his garbage crusade, and for the most part rightfully so. Anyways he showed up in our neighborhood one early summer day, on a Tuesday, with his citation book in hand. I watched while he placed several tickets on doornobs for leaving black trash bags out before garbage day, which was Wednesday in our neighborhood. After he wrote my ticket out and was about to place it on my doornob, I opened my door, greeted him warmly, and said; "You know all those plastic garbage bags on this street contain grass clippings, right?" He quickly removed all the citations.

Sinnot is upset because to "No you can't" mentality is changing to "Lets look at it".
    "No you can't" is way easier than actually thinking about it.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

If you read closely Mike that simply isn't true. No permits denied to almost 0%. ever. ever, ever. It was already "yes you can".

Now it will be "yes you can, and we won't tell anyone about it either."

Or is the question not how many have been denied, but how many people have gone to DNR with plans, not formally submitted and gotten beat up enough to quit before they formally apply?
    If they meet all the criteria, they should get a permit.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Enviro's are bullies and this helps the pro-development guys. After Pebble and the raping it took by the fabricated, bs EPA "report," this is long overdue.

I see Parnell is using Frank Murkowski's moniker that "Alaska is open for business," and I like it. Sick of the anti-development attitude that's pervasive here. Open this state up! Build roads! Built rail lines! MINE, MINE, MINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Enviro's are bullies and this helps the pro-development guys. After Pebble and the raping it took by the fabricated, bs EPA "report," this is long overdue.

I see Parnell is using Frank Murkowski's moniker that "Alaska is open for business," and I like it. Sick of the anti-development attitude that's pervasive here. Open this state up! Build roads! Built rail lines! MINE, MINE, MINE!!!
    If I stand up for the environment, and try to ensure that it does not become a wasteland or look like every other state in the union, I am a bully?
    That comment about Pebble is just funny!

The state of Alaska is not going to become a wasteland, with or without you. If you define "stand up" as trying to stop any development before it reaches the public comment stage - Yes, sorry to inform you that you are indeed a "bully"
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

When the administrative train leaves the track and irresponsibly serves special interests time again, you bet some folks are gonna stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    The state of Alaska is not going to become a wasteland, with or without you.
    "....We'll make it just like L.A., but we'll take exception if you try to stop us, or call it a "wasteland"".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    When the administrative train leaves the track and irresponsibly serves special interests time again, you bet some folks are gonna stand up.
    That's total bunk. The anti-development crowd won't EVER support any shape or form of development. Unless of course, development includes shutting down economic activity.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    "....We'll make it just like L.A., but we'll take exception if you try to stop us, or call it a "wasteland"".
    Nobody wants this place to become LA. Not even the lame-ass liberals that fled that s*ithole.

Jobs people, jobs. We all can't be on welfare and I doubt we'll be moving back into caves anytime soon. What are we going to do for jobs in this state? Shut it all down so we can all be vegan tree farmers? Tell me all about your green energy, utopian economy. I'm literally ALL EARS!!

Tim, as usual you conflate positions on the Sinnott article and what is happening to ADFGs habitat division and try to label all who disagree as strictly anti-development. Then you get all partisan and toss out something about lame-ass liberals. Should I be offended cuz I came from L.A. area? <grin>

Sigh, like I always tell you, at least you're consistent! Have a good one,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    The state of Alaska is not going to become a wasteland, with or without you. If you define "stand up" as trying to stop any development before it reaches the public comment stage - Yes, sorry to inform you that you are indeed a "bully"
    Mike
    This is just nonsense. I worked as an environmental consultant for 8 years, 4 in Alaska for the major oil companies on large projects. Trust me if there are any bullies in the mix it is the large corporations. They say wait for the permit process but believe me they have the political approval well in advance of the permit process. Just one example, in the late 70's the Waterflood Project on the North Slope was being designed. I was very involved with that and worked on a plan for an offshore intake island, not on the end of the east dock. We had a presentation for the State agencies prepared. Oil company representatives from outside stopped in Juneau and got approval from the Gov for the dock option which environmentally was not as sound. They went that route and knew they had the permits secured so the permit process part was all show.

So please do not talk about something most people do not know anything about. Unless you are on the inside of these corporation discussion you have no idea what goes on. I could list a number of other examples from working with DuPont, BP, ARCO, Exxon, GPU (remember 3 mile island), and other businesses. They do not play fair in the permit process and yet ignorance and stupidity call those who stand up against that bullies and other demeaning terms.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Should I be offended cuz I came from L.A. area? <grin>
    Funny, but I don't believe I had any say on where my mom decided to give birth to me.....I was raised in Tahoe....the CA. side. When I told a "buddy" of mine that I was moving to Alaska he said Alaska would chew me up and spit me out and I'd come back with my tail between my legs. Well after 31 years I'm still here and he's still there. Now because I came from CA. as well, SO I SURE AS HELL COULD BE WRONG, but I'm pretty sure you qualify as not only an Alaskan, but a real, bonifide sourdough as well.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast