Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another plastic boot question?

Default Yet another plastic boot question?

I bought a pair of koflach degre's for my Chugach range sheep hunt this year. I put a pair of super feet in them and heat molded them. Tonight was my second climb in them and man they hurt my feet! No hot spots or rubbing, they just make my feet/ankles ache like crazy after about 10 minutes of climbing/descending, both last night and tonight, after 30 minutes of hiking I had to call it quits! Will my feet adapt, or do I need to start looking at other options?

Try different lacing methods. They aren't like leathers in that regard. There was a lacing tutorial around her a year or two ago.

I'm thinking your feet will adapt but it's hard to know for sure. Because they are so rigid they will make you use muscles in your feet that probably don't get used much. I would just try walking around the yard everyday a little at a time before taking on any major climbs. Some people react to them differently. Some say they tear up their knees when walking on flat ground.

Good thing is that if you don't get used to them you can probably sell them pretty easy.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Do they feel a little too snug on your feet even after the heat molding process and walking around with them on flat ground for a while? If so, you might have gotten a size or a half size too small. But, that may not be the case, everyones foot is different, whether its shape or sizing, the two main aspects of a foot is you either have a long foot, or a wide foot or maybe both. The main issue with the plastics ( koflach or scarpas) they are NOT going to break in, plastic mountaineering boot is what its going to be, the intuition insert boot on the other hand, even after a good heat molding still needs some time to mold in, the boot will get warm but as you wear them after a few hours of load time they will start to conform and become a little more comfortable or some might say, "getting used to" if its not working for you after this much time spent in them, then try a half size larger with the wool socks you are going to use. If that doesn't work for ya, your gonna be a boot leather hunter..... With many that have tried them, you gonna love them or hate them. I was a Lowa boot guy for a long time until I went plastic, now , for mountain and alpine hunting its plastic for me. I roll with both brands, Kolach degre, and the Scarpa Omegas. With the latter pair, They tend to be slightly softer and I can still walk for miles on flat ground, on the rolling tundra, I just wish they weren't bright red. .....hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Try different lacing methods. They aren't like leathers in that regard. There was a lacing tutorial around her a year or two ago.
    Stid showed me a great way to lace these plastics where you'll have a bit more flexibility in the koflachs, maybe he has a video.

They have plenty of room in them, they were a tad snug when I first molded them, so I ended up doing it again, with a heavier sock and laced them tighter while molding the liner,. Now they have good room inside. It's kinda weird, I can't really describe it any other way other than they just hurt, pretty much my whole foot. I'm all ears on different lacing methods. Thanks guys

I know that the super feet come in different arches. And I know how my feet ache in hockey skates that don't have high enough arch support in the soles. It is agonizing. Could you maybe have the wrong insoles for your feet in them?

I have the orange super feet in them, maybe too much arch? Never had a problem with them in my other boots though.......

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I know that the super feet come in different arches. And I know how my feet ache in hockey skates that don't have high enough arch support in the soles. It is agonizing. Could you maybe have the wrong insoles for your feet in them?
    I remember once when I put on some hockey skates I could barely stand up on them my feet hurt so bad. But after awhile I got used to them.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had the same issue with those boots last season. I nearly went with leathers. I used some dr Scholls insoles under the molded liner and I hiked and then hiked more. I had 7 miles on the in the mtns before I felt okay about hunting them. The 2nd day into the hunt they were good to go. I'd suggest putting at least 8-10 miles on them before you consider hunting them. I would dump the laces ( mine broke ) and use para cord. Those boots took me to my first ram!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice ram 907! I'm hoping for my first ram in them also! Got another hike in on them again last night, they may be getting ever so slightly better. I really tried to pay attention to where they hurt me last night. Seems I'm getting some shin bang from the front tops, and also hurting my Achilles tendon in the back. Gonna keep hammering and see how they are in a week or so I suppose. Also looking at the zambelan ibex as an alternative.......

I bought a pair a month ago and been in them all weekend every weekend since. I LOVE them but the only complaint I have is they are awefull squeeky. I was told the 2014 Koflach's(the ones I have) no longer are heat molded. Good luck, hope they work out for ya.

I do remember when I first used my Koflachs that they hurt my shins a bit on the uphills until they loosened up a little. The squeak held on for a lot longer. Id say it wasn't till I had a hundred or maybe two hundred miles on mine that the squeak was gone. In the grand scheme of things though, I never felt like the squeak caused me any problems on mountain hunts.

The trick I learned wearing my Kolflach's was to lace them so the lower part of the boot is tightened and then a double half hitch, then run the laces over the middle pivot from the top, in other words "backwards" then lace the upper loose while on flat ground and tighten it up once you start up. The double half hitch and looping the laces over the top of the pivot while lock the lower in and leave you some extra shin room.

Some talcum powder can help with the squeak.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Good to know that the queek will eventually go away. I figured it was perminate. I'll try the power too!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The trick I learned wearing my Kolflach's was to lace them so the lower part of the boot is tightened and then a double half hitch, then run the laces over the middle pivot from the top, in other words "backwards" then lace the upper loose while on flat ground and tighten it up once you start up. The double half hitch and looping the laces over the top of the pivot while lock the lower in and leave you some extra shin room.

Some talcum powder can help with the squeak.
    You don't happen to have a picture of this do you?

Koflach's were the first boot I wore that didn't hurt my feet. I use/need the orange Superfeet with the insole inside the inner boot. The above post mentioned someone putting the insole under the liner between the sole and liner, I'm not sure that is gonna help the situation much. Mine don't make too much of a squeak, nothing that is noticeable anyway. I also ended up getting my boots a half size bigger than normal and they seem perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    I also ended up getting my boots a half size bigger than normal and they seem perfect.
    Mine are a half size big as well. I like to wear a pair of thin wicking type "dress" socks and a pair of wool hiking socks over them.

Default Yet another plastic boot question?

Went on another Hike tonight, they are definitely getting better. Here's what I did on flat ground with the laces, made a world of difference!

Are the omega's available any longer?

I am trying a pair on for size. 30 mins into them and I think they might work. These have one of the Intuition liner versions. How can you tell if they are heat moldable? What about the plastic itself?

If they are not available - what is a comparable option?

I have pretty messed up feet and my Lowa's are too painful to wear for more than about 2 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast