Thread: RL460 Upper Eagle River Black Bear

Default RL460 Upper Eagle River Black Bear

I know this topic has been on here a lot, but have a few questions. This will be my first black bear hunt. I have been doing research on this forum from past hunters. I have my permit, hunters education, and know that you cannot start until icicle creek and be off the main trail. I plan on going in for a couple of days so i can get to a good spot. I am also going with a friend that has been doing research. He read that some people went in at Arctic Valley and followed Ship Creek until they got to the area. I have been looking and maps and do not see that it ties in there, however it is open season until may 31st in some of this. What is the preferred method of hiking it. I was planning on going the crow pass way, but he insists that the Arctic Valley way is faster. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

I can't imagine going via Ship Creek into that area. You don't need a registration permit for Ship Creek - that area is open to hunting by harvest permit. If you're hunting Eagle River, though, going via Ship Creek is in no way going to be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I can't imagine going via Ship Creek into that area. You don't need a registration permit for Ship Creek - that area is open to hunting by harvest permit. If you're hunting Eagle River, though, going via Ship Creek is in no way going to be faster.
    Brian
    what's the best way to access ship creek? Is there a trail to follow?

Ship creek, I would say arctic valley is the best access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That or Indian Valley - depends on which end you want to hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That or Indian Valley - depends on which end you want to hunt
    I'm thinking the Arctic Valley side. What's the best way to get back there? How far do you need to be back before you can shoot?? Sorry for all of the questions I gotta stay fairly close to Anchorage to pick kids up from school.