Thread: Need direction on bear hunt

Default Need direction on bear hunt

So we scheduled time off this year for May 18-24 for a bear hunt, then spring happened a month early. We are not picky on browns or blacks, just a good chance to bag a couple bears. We orginally were going to take bikes down resurrection trail and just scope/hike the mtn sides. I'm thinking it will be to late down there now? I am now considering going North to Denali state park/highway, or taking a water taxi out of Whittier or Homer. I have a Zodiac with a 25 horse, and we are willing to bike or hike. Thoughts or opinions? Thanks, Johan

There is still a lot of signs of winter left out in PWS from the recently posted pictures. As of Monday noon - ADFG had still only had one Griz sealed in anchorage. With 2 guys and your zodiac and a weeks time you would not even need a taxi service in PWS.

My son and I were out on Sunday in unit 7 and couldn't make it into our bait station in the Ranger, to much snow yet.

Interesting reports. Was there that much snow on the Kenai this year? I'd heard it was melting fast so figured 3rd week would be to late. Maybe not? I would consider the Zodiac if it was 2 of us, but we will have 3 if not 4 and its just to much of a squeeze. Thanks for replys

I put on 12 miles today on foot in unit 7, south slopes are getting bare but still quite a bit of snow elsewhere. Saw one set of tracks up high. The other day I flew for a couple hrs kashwitna/talkeetna area...didn't see one den. Even being a early spring the 18-24 should be ideal for blacks. Last week of May, first week of June is hot time...esp in the sound. That's were I'm gonna be, but a lil earlier than you due to work. Good luck

Your dates are fine. Everyone gets jumpy when it starts to thaw here. But the mat valley/anch is about all that's really melted off so far. Flying back and forth to the slope there is still ALOT of white out there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

For years I hunted every spring for blacks in PWS and May 20 plus or minus a day or two always seemed to be the ideal time. The black bear capes from PWS are prob the best in Alaska. There is usually a lot of snow in the sound in mid to late May. Good luck on your hunt.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Your dates are good. Do pws since u have the boat.
    Several browns taken have been taken. Don't have to go to f&g. Most prefer not.....
    Blacks are popping now too but not in any real numbers yet.
    I thought this was gonna be an early year but it's just abt normal.

Thanks for the guidance guys. We will still go with the resurrection trail if we can't get a water taxi this late in the game.

I drove down to cooper landing this last weekend and seen 3 blackeis and 2 cubs all on ones southern hillside probably a mile long there moved around quite a bit. Not a lot of green vegetation yet. A week or two would be just about right. Maybe around the 10th for reserection pass would be my guess.