Thread: Maud road conditions

Default Maud road conditions

i eas thinking about going out to maud rd this weekend and was wondering how the road conditions are. Is it still icey will a 2wd vehicle be able to make it.

You can make it part way. There is a nasty mudhole about 20ft long the full width of the road on the hill before Mud Lake. If you have good tires and a heavy foot you could probably bounce through. The shooting range is closed until July 15th though.

The "shooting range" has closures? Who establishes that?
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Department of Natural Resources... the ones who first put the range in and cleared the lot. Check their website for more info

sent from my igloo

They are improving it so closed for work
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Those who shoot here do not know of your "closed" dates...would be nice if they did..but there is also a trash dump, I mean shooting range about 30 yards from the mud lake ramp, sad deal we display these areas. I would agree with closing it all to shooting within 1/4 mile of the road for non-hunters because of the slobs that visit the area.

There are two large signs showing the closure dates on the way to the range. If I remember right, It is closed to construct the range from about April 15 through July 15. The place folks shoot by Mud lake is private land and has no trespassing signs. In other words, it is closed. If there are people shooting at the range they should be jailed for shooting blind because you would have to be blind not to see the signs. Shooting at the range is supposed to start sometime in Sept and it looks like it will be a very nice range and I hope we as shooters will report any slobs hauling their trash there to shoot, I will, so be warned. I am very tired of areas to shoot being trashed and then closed and will do all I can to prevent this range from being closed. I believe the only way to keep this range nice and operating, is for us as shooters to protect it from the slobs.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    There are two large signs showing the closure dates on the way to the range. If I remember right, It is closed to construct the range from about April 15 through July 15. The place folks shoot by Mud lake is private land and has no trespassing signs. In other words, it is closed. If there are people shooting at the range they should be jailed for shooting blind because you would have to be blind not to see the signs. Shooting at the range is supposed to start sometime in Sept and it looks like it will be a very nice range and I hope we as shooters will report any slobs hauling their trash there to shoot, I will, so be warned. I am very tired of areas to shoot being trashed and then closed and will do all I can to prevent this range from being closed. I believe the only way to keep this range nice and operating, is for us as shooters to protect it from the slobs.
    I don't have a problem with someone hauling "trash" to shoot as long as they haul it back out. That's what I do, though I don't shoot at Maud Rd. I've found that milk jugs and empty soda bottles filled with water make really cheap reactive targets. But I always spend the time to pick them all up and pack them back out with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    Those who shoot here do not know of your "closed" dates...would be nice if they did..but there is also a trash dump, I mean shooting range about 30 yards from the mud lake ramp, sad deal we display these areas. I would agree with closing it all to shooting within 1/4 mile of the road for non-hunters because of the slobs that visit the area.
    They're not "Mine" its DNR. The "Shooting/Trash Range/Dump" by Mud Lake is on Eklutna Native Land and anyone shooting/dumping there can face trespass charges.

I was just out there a few hours ago and there is now a third sign right at the range along with a 966 loader and an excavator. The work has started. I won't use any trash type target there as it may encourage others to shoot trash and not remove it when they leave. This is going to be a nice range similar to Birchwood when finished and it would bother me a lot to see it trashed.

i cant wait to see it when its opened, i bet it will be nice.
    Semper Fi!

I'm very excited to see the range improvements as well. I'm relatively new to Anchorage and had heard mixed reviews on the Maud Rd range. After taking a 'scouting' trip out there I was disappointed to see how disheveled it was. I hope shooters will appreciate the work going into the new facility and will be more respectful of it and their fellow shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I was just out there a few hours ago and there is now a third sign right at the range along with a 966 loader and an excavator. The work has started. I won't use any trash type target there as it may encourage others to shoot trash and not remove it when they leave. This is going to be a nice range similar to Birchwood when finished and it would bother me a lot to see it trashed.

As much as I hate excluding people, I would almost prefer this range have a membership requirement for access. With or without a fee, you should have to check in and check out to use it. That way we can keep people honest and keep the trash out, literally and figuratively.

Without range access restrictions, it will become trashed in a very short time unless there is some kind of constant enforcement.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Are they gonna fix the road too?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Are they gonna fix the road too?

Smitty of the North
    That is what Noel was saying the other night. Needs fixed some even to get the equipment there, like fix the culvert and huge sippi hole.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I hope that people are not expecting the see a 'completed' project this year! What is being worked on now is phase 1 and not a completed range. From my understanding they are going to set the parking area, clear 400' for the 100 yard range and level out the area. Not all of the funds needed to complete this project have been allotted yet and this is going to be a multi-year project.
    However I feel that this is a 'step' in the right direction. Now if we can get the people that use this area to not be 'slobs' and pick up after their selves, things will be much better.

I made a run out to the Maud Road area, this morning, where they are working on the range. No, no work has been done on the road, it is as rough as it always is. The road is dry and passable, just lots of pot holes. Yes they are working on the range, a lot of trees have been cut down and there is equipment there.
    Also there is a Trooper on duty out there keeping an eye on things. I talked with him and the Troopers are there at the request of DNR. Good call on the part of DNR to help protect the equipment out there.