Thread: River bows!

Default River bows!

I'm new to river fishing and I am curious on if there is any good river spots ? I mostly only go for salmon , so this is all new to me

Might help if you posted a little more info. Are you asking for rivers North, South West or East of Anchorage?

Anywhere honestly that I can drive to from Anchorage, no airplane rides for me. I was thinking Montana, or Sunshine, or willow but from what I remember as a kid I never saw bows in those waters unless salmon are running.

You say you fish for salmon. Most streams that support salmon will have either dollies or rainbows or both.
    Fish behind spawning salmon for specific spots.

Ya, I was hoping to find some areas that have rainbows in them with out salmon present. Like good areas to go right about this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    You say you fish for salmon. Most streams that support salmon will have either dollies or rainbows or both.
    Fish behind spawning salmon for specific spots.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    Ya, I was hoping to find some areas that have rainbows in them with out salmon present. Like good areas to go right about this time.
    think its a little early, yet. In the Valley, fish gennerally show up at the creek mouths first. I have no idea if any are open yet, but suspect it won't be long.

There are no rainbows in Alaska. They all moved south.

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    There are no rainbows in Alaska. They all moved south.
    The Leprechauns took them when they left with their gold!

Most (if not all) creeks and rivers are closed to fishing or retention of rainbows in this area till about June 15th. They are spawning till early June. There are some open to catch and release only , but make sure to check because some are closed to fishing for trout period this time of year I believe. Make sure to check the regs closely, especially that fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    Anywhere honestly that I can drive to from Anchorage, no airplane rides for me.
    Are you familiar with salmon in the Russian or Kenai? Never fished them but see pictures of huge rainbows. Don't rule out shore fishing for Lake trout as the ice is going out. Hidden Lake off Skilak Loop Rd has some of that.

most rivers that have salmon will have your trout, the trout move down the rivers in the fall [ freeze up] then go back up in the spring to spaun
    an wait for the salmon to come [ they will be where the FOOD IS, just make sure on the regs. as they do change from stream to stream an the
    Date [ hard to keep up on all the regs' because of the changes that the fish & game make to them year to year ] ,
    PS if they don'r spaun in the spring then they will follow the salmon up . SID