Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Boss Spare's

Default Big Boss Spare's

Was wondering what spare parts/tools you guys bring with you on your hunting trips? I just bought a new one.

I bought a 2013 right before last years hunt. I took two spare a arm bolt and nuts, two plugs and a belt. I also went through my machine before I rode it. I put dielectric grease in all of the electrical connections. Checked all bolts and nuts to make sure they were snug and I torked the A arm bolts, which were loose. I painted the battery terminals, solenoid and winch power cable connections with battery paint. I made sure the fluids were at the proper level. I did not have a problem with it. Sorry, probably a bit more then you asked for!

Sent when I should be doing my chores.

Spare a-arm bolts and spare upper a-arms for both left and right and the wrenches to change them (easy.) A good assortment of torx to access stuff. I also greased all electric connections. Many bolts come loose and an engine -mount starts to squeak horribly. I carry a spray lube to hit those squeaks and re-tighten them. Thought my frame was cracking first time I heard it and turned around. After bending the arm when a bolt broke again, I carry the spares.

Kits for repairing flats and spare common bolts, washers and "lug nuts."

I drive in low and never had a belt prob yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Spare a-arm bolts and spare upper a-arms for both left and right and the wrenches to change them (easy.) A good assortment of torx to access stuff. I also greased all electric connections. Many bolts come loose and an engine -mount starts to squeak horribly. I carry a spray lube to hit those squeaks and re-tighten them. Thought my frame was cracking first time I heard it and turned around. After bending the arm when a bolt broke again, I carry the spares.

Kits for repairing flats and spare common bolts, washers and "lug nuts."

I drive in low and never had a belt prob yet.
    Ok, funny you say both A arms I was just replacing one of mine yesterday and went to take the bolts out on the inner side and could not get them out because the head of the bolt hit the CV boot/shaft. It was so close that it would not come out. I ended up buying 2 new bolts and cut them out with a sawzall. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm planning on putting those two bolts in the other direction co the nut is near the CV boot. Sorry to hijack the thread
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Ok, funny you say both A arms I was just replacing one of mine yesterday and went to take the bolts out on the inner side and could not get them out because the head of the bolt hit the CV boot/shaft.
    Mine was the muffler side and I think I just greased the boot to get it past. I did not need to cut anything or take anything extra off.

Yes, same side as mine. There was no way that those bolts were coming out. Glad yours were doable. Anyone else had this issue?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I have not had any a arm issues. When I was buying spare bolts before last season, the parts guy told me that they had not experienced any problems with the 2013 models. What model year are you guys riding?

Sorry for the news but myself and this fella took our 2013's into Eureka last summer and he broke a middle right with a whopping 200 miles on the machine....mellow riding as I was breaking mine in on the trip. It's a problem...

I broke a middle right bolt on my 2012 BB and a buddy broke one on his 2013 last year. I didn't catch mine right away and it bent the upper and lower A-arms, shock and exhaust. You can carry all of the spare bolts you want, but if you don't catch the break immediately you're going to be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Sorry for the news but myself and this fella took our 2013's into Eureka last summer and he broke a middle right with a whopping 200 miles on the machine....mellow riding as I was breaking mine in on the trip. It's a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I broke a middle right bolt on my 2012 BB and a buddy broke one on his 2013 last year. I didn't catch mine right away and it bent the upper and lower A-arms, shock and exhaust. You can carry all of the spare bolts you want, but if you don't catch the break immediately you're going to be screwed.
    Ditto for me with my 2013 on both accounts. Since the replacement of the right middle strut, a-arm, spindle, and bolts right at 100 miles I have put 600 miles on it with no problems.

Thanks for the replies.

hows about a pic or two as to what is breaking....thinking of getting one of these......and at what price ..for a stock machine ...should I be paying /as to feel I got a good deal?
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Like I said, mine hasn't broke...yet so no pics. I bought mine from HP Polaris. 10,000.00 out the door with a 3500 lb winch, hand and thumb warmers.

Quote Originally Posted by akrider View Post
    Like I said, mine hasn't broke...
    It's just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    It's just a matter of time.
    What he said...

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    hows about a pic or two as to what is breaking....thinking of getting one of these......and at what price ..for a stock machine ...should I be paying /as to feel I got a good deal?
    What's breaking is the 12" long 3/8's bolt that attaches your lower a - arm to the frame mounts. It's happening on the middle axles and seems primarily on the exhaust side. I also know of 2 cases where the rear axle has had the same problem and another case where the dog bone brace that ties left to right side on the middle axle has cracked as well.
    When riding your new fully independent Big Boss you'll notice how things seem to flex and twist under your seat when rolling over the bumps, don't get me wrong...it's a comfy ride but there's some stress on those undersized stock bolts.

thanks...up grading the bolt ......would more than likely transfer the "break " to something else ...seems polairs mite need to get a "fix" out there...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I believe just as you do, if you strengthen the bolt you need to think through where the stress goes next. To most people an extra bolt/nut and tools to change out the broken one is sufficient but you just better have an eye out and be expecting it so you don't end up with a whole nother list of needed parts. I wasn't ok with the problem so I went through the steps to fix it before breaking in the machine. Ya see I have the kind of luck where it will break in a bog while the rain is pouring down and I'm crunched for time on getting out....OR..... I won't catch it in time and now I'm really in a bad way. I don't want the worry of it all. There's a whole thread on this here some where but here it is in a nutshell.
    Here's the problem area in general..

here's my upgraded bolts/nut/bushings beside the stock chinsey set up. I went from 3/8" to oil rolled stock threaded on a mill to make a 1/2 bolt 5 times stronger than a grade 8 in 1/2" and bushings milled out of cold roll with grease grooves . More simple and plenty stronger.

For the frame mount tabs I made new ones from 1/4" steel and welded them in tight, simply going over the outside of the stock thin gauge mounts.

Last is the thin gauge dog bone braces....T1 1/4" steel cut with a water jet for the replacements.

here's a thickness comparison.

I only have 200-ish miles on this setup but it was hard miles from last moose season with a mid 50's bull in the bed and gear in 5 he meat trailer. I disassembled everything and inspected after getting back and all looks great. I'm pretty certain I can have the piece of mind that whole issue is licked.....oh, nothing but TRC red tacky grease pumped in those pivot points for me.

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    thanks...up grading the bolt ......would more than likely transfer the "break " to something else ...seems polairs mite need to get a "fix" out there...
    I've tried contacting them about this issue and was told to work with my dealer. I also brought it up to the service manager at AK cycle and he said he's never heard of such a problem... I'm sure I could continue to send endless emails to Polaris but I've got better things to do I guess

Spare parts? I have a 2011 Big Boss 6x6 and I bring the kitchen sink filled with any hand tool I think I will need, to include a hammer. I have a jumper cables, a spare battery, fuses, tire patches/plugs, a 12 volt compressor and hand tire pump, a spare belt, spark plugs, heet, oil filter and 2 quarts of oil, electrical repair kit, volt meteor, electrical tape, dialectic grease, Gorilla tape, etc. I also have the spare A arm bolts and washers for when the time comes. No end to it so I finally reach a point where I say the heck with it and go riding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast