Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heard a critter- never saw it- what do ya think it was?

Default Heard a critter- never saw it- what do ya think it was?

This isn't an important issue, but thinking about our adventures is a kick.

Last fall we were out 'scouting' (being pretty lax about it) prior to moose season. We parked the truck at a lake- it looks like 2 lakes with a round brushy peninsula type thing between them. My dh and young 'uns went to wet a line & see if anything was biting- I went to get rid of some coffee. I walked around the peninsula thing- there was wheeler trail or something, but it was super muddy- so I skirted it & walked in the grass along the trees & brush. Man, it was gorgeous & sunny out. What could go wrong? I kept looking back & went round until I couldn't see the truck. I unbuttoned & went to position myself & I heard it. I have never heard the noise before. It was a very low - not really a growl, kind of a vibrating type sound. Sounded like it was being broadcast out of a barrel. Sounded big & deep & got my attention. There was no sound of brush moving. Well, I didn't look around- I pulled up, buttoned & got the heck out of there in very few movements. I never saw it! Initially I thought bear- dh thinks it was a moose (we saw plenty in the area).

I thought it was strange, but if the critter stepped into the brush as we approached- he would have had no way to leave without walking into the open & the peninsula wasn't that large. I was shocked that I heard NO movement- just the noise.

What do ya think it was?

I quite often hear noises like this just before I sit down on the throne......I wouldn't worry....everything will come out OK in the end.

You probably stumbled on the ever elusive Yeti.

The (un)Common Bushy-tailed Yeti makes a low growling noise and it is known to hide its dwelling underground. That would explain why you didn't see the creature, as it was under your feet. Also, as delong mentioned, the culprit could also be an overdue bear plug... in which case I'd say some milk of magnesia should help you out a lot.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Without actually hearing it, hard to say for sure - maybe a ruffed grouse drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    You probably stumbled on the ever elusive Yeti.
    Someone had to say what we were all thinking .... Was it unit 13 you were in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

A typical Alaskan frog.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

haha guys- haha. Unit 20. I've heard frogs & grouse- nope on those! No biological issues- good try though- haha. I got the distinct idea that it was something that thought I was getting close to its personal space. Animals make some freaky noises out there!

So jubilation, are you in Sitka? What's the recent bear report down there?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I am in Sitka. The bears have been out awhile down here. I wish you bear hunters would come down & then 'em out!

Since you're not far enough north to be int he range of the Wendigo, it was obviously a chupacabre.

Angry cow moose will make a burbling guttural roar that will sure get your attention!

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    What do ya think it was?
    The way you describe it sounds a lot like the same thing I've heard....

Two different times I've been out in the bush I've heard the same noise that I can't tell what it is. When I described it (tried to duplicate the noise myself) to another hunter friend of mine he said he had heard the same thing before and also didn't know what it was. Just because of the type of sound it was, I can only imagine that it was a moose or a bear, but which one?....I have no idea. Because I've heard the long drawn out sound of a cow moose bawling, I tend to lean that way. But in this case it is more like a little longer type bark that a dog would make, but not like the bawling sounds of a cow. Nor did it sound like a breathy snort either. It's VERY loud and like you say vibrating as well.

It's been a huge question mark to me for years now and I'd really like to find out someday.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Funny as **** Delong, especially true after eating mountain house! But to the point, I heard a porcupine make some weird grunting sounds when I got real close. I think a bear or moose might be pretty distinct.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The way you describe it sounds a lot like the same thing I've heard....

Two different times I've been out in the bush I've heard the same noise that I can't tell what it is. When I described it (tried to duplicate the noise myself) to another hunter friend of mine he said he had heard the same thing before and also didn't know what it was. Just because of the type of sound it was, I can only imagine that it was a moose or a bear, but which one?....I have no idea. Because I've heard the long drawn out sound of a cow moose bawling, I tend to lean that way. But in this case it is more like a little longer type bark that a dog would make, but not like the bawling sounds of a cow. Nor did it sound like a breathy snort either. It's VERY loud and like you say vibrating as well.

It's been a huge question mark to me for years now and I'd really like to find out someday.....
    I would bet it is a cow moose. I would never in a million years expect the noise that I heard come from an angry cow with a calf as she decided to stand her ground in some dense alders.

Some guys who claim some serious back country credibility have called BS on my claims of cow moose roar/growling in the past.

I don't know why they elected to dub in B movie audio but you can hear this moose clearly making a very in moose like roar.

http://youtu.be/k4iMlya5HcE

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would bet it is a cow moose. I would never in a million years expect the noise that I heard come from an angry cow with a calf as she decided to stand her ground in some dense alders.
    That's just it though.... I've been around countless moose and I really have heard them make all kinds of crazy sounds. I've also heard them make a certain sound when they charge and try and stomp something. I've just never actually saw one make this noise. It very well could be a moose but it's such a strange sound....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Some guys who claim some serious back country credibility have called BS on my claims of cow moose roar/growling in the past.

I don't know why they elected to dub in B movie audio but you can hear this moose clearly making a very in moose like roar.

http://youtu.be/k4iMlya5HcE
    I can hear the "roar" in the video but the sound I've heard is quite a bit different......

Lujon I heard a cow growl at me couple years ago. Her new calf was standing under her. Her ears were back and I'd walked right up on them expecting a bear. If I hadn't been looking at her, I woulda sworn it was a lion.

Like others said, I thought ruffed grouse, cow moose or porky. They all can make some odd noises.

My uncle got into a fire fight with a porky. They both made some pretty crazy sounds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast