Thread: Kodiak bear hide transport

Default Kodiak bear hide transport

Have a spring hunt that I drew for 2015. Never been to kodiak before but does anyone have a recommendation on how to get the bear hide back to Fairbanks? Is it feasible to check onto the flight back? Ship it? Also are there any places in town that could store it for a couple of days after the hunt so I can catch a fishing trip before heading back to the interior? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    Have a spring hunt that I drew for 2015. Never been to kodiak before but does anyone have a recommendation on how to get the bear hide back to Fairbanks? Is it feasible to check onto the flight back? Ship it? Also are there any places in town that could store it for a couple of days after the hunt so I can catch a fishing trip before heading back to the interior? Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Congrats on the tag!

A lot of people buy a large cooler or plastic duffle bag (water proof) and put their hide and skull in that. Yes you can check it on the flight as extra luggage. Don't put the hide into any plastic bag or cooler until it is thoroughly cooled down and then only for a short period of time. Better to fold it in half - skin side to skin side - then roll up like a sleeping bag and put into a game bag and store it in a cool place until just before you get on the plane. Save your taxidermist a little grief and make sure the skin/flesh side doesn't get air dried, either. It is impossible to flesh jerky off a skin. LOL

I don't know if there is a cold storage facility in Kodiak, it seems there should be with the amount of people going there to hunt and fish.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Hi Sapper 27,

You can either take it to EVERT AIR CARGO & they can freeze & ship it to Fairbanks, or as said you can take it to a Fish proccessor to freeze the skin in a box or plastic tote, then check it as your checked baggage to Fairbanks.

We have folks do this all the time , even with huge bears.,

Last year we got a monster from Kodiak & the shipping was only about $75.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks ww.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Thank you both for the quick replies! Sounds like many ways to skin a bear...err I mean cat! I am trying to cover as many contingencies as far out as I can. Originally I drew for this spring but Afghanistan got in my way. Thank goodness the great state of AK reissues for situations like this! Thanks again! Any recs on bags/totes?

Shawn

When when I got back to Kodiak, I went to the walmart and bought a tote put my salted hide and skull inside and checked on flight as luggage all the way home, worked great. Good luck on your trip, the planning process is a large part of the fun of the whole adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    Thank you both for the quick replies! Sounds like many ways to skin a bear...err I mean cat! I am trying to cover as many contingencies as far out as I can. Originally I drew for this spring but Afghanistan got in my way. Thank goodness the great state of AK reissues for situations like this! Thanks again! Any recs on bags/totes?

Shawn

Good info already mentioned on hide transport. Also, suggest you look into the billeting and services available to you as a military member at Kodiak Coast Guard Station. If you have delays going to the field or returning that's a good option.

Get one of the Plastic Locking Foot locker boxes.

DO NOT use one of the Rubbermaid tubs that have lids.

When the rubbermaids get frozen , if they are dropped even a little bit they will shatter.

Most of the Black Foot locker types come in un damaged even after being frozen.

You will need to freeze the bear IN THE BOX or you wont get it to fit after frozen.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Get one of the Plastic Locking Foot locker boxes.

DO NOT use one of the Rubbermaid tubs that have lids.

When the rubbermaids get frozen , if they are dropped even a little bit they will shatter.

Most of the Black Foot locker types come in un damaged even after being frozen.

You will need to freeze the bear IN THE BOX or you wont get it to fit after frozen.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    Yep...and freezing in the box is a good idea. Though it does remind me of trying to pry bags of frozen pig meat out of the shelves of an upright freezer. It had expanded and frozen into the metal grating of the freezer rack. LOL!

And a note to make sure the hide is completely cool(or maybe even mostly frozen) and NOT rolled tightly when you put it in the box to freeze. That fur is a major insulator and combined with the insulating properties of the box, you could end up with the inside part of the hide not getting cold fast enough. I had this happen to me years ago when I bought several beaver hides from a trapper that he had rolled and frozen before fleshing and stretching them. They were fine when they were dried, but when they came back from the tannery...Ugh....lots of slip spots on the hides. (thankfully the trapper made things right!)

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

When I hunted bear on Kodiak I stayed at the Best Western and stored my hide in a game bag in a open tote in their walk in cooler. My tote has holes drilled to use zip ties to hold the lid in place and it was checked as excess baggage and flew with me to Anchorage. Just can't be over 99 lbs or you have to ship as cargo.

Good Luck
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

USCG base has a hotel also and a walk in freezer for fish boxes and such at the boat house. Can store there if need and like stid said The best western also has one. What area did u draw if you don't mind me asking?

My buddy and I both drew. I drew DB293 and he got 292. Thanks for all the great input!