Thread: Anyone caught trout yet??

Default Anyone caught trout yet??

Just looking to take my daughter out this week and try and catch some trout. I have a boat so thats a plus. She is 7 and loves to fish. Just need to keep her interested in fishing. Any updates would be good. I plan on heading to ninilchik for kings also. Can't wait to she her try and catch her first king.
    Thanks for any info.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

kepler bradley has a ton of 5-7 inch fish plus some big holdovers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

When did you fish Kepler-Bradley this year?? I haven't been in a long time so am not current about what is in there.

Was Kepler-Bradley stocked this year? It could be a tough year for the stocked lakes with low production and small fish at the hatchery.

What did you catch them on AKPM?

I have a young'un as well, he loves action, how fast was the action?

I did a little research and found this in the "reports" section of another forum. AKPM - you may want to check things out before you start throwing out advice:

ANGLER: Sir Catchalot
    TRIP DATE: 6/2
    REGION: Matsu Valley
    WATER: Kepler/Bradley Lakes (State Rec. Area)
    SPECIES: Rainbow Trout/Grayling/Arctic Char

REPORT: Took my 3yr old son to do some Trout fishing out at the Kepler/Bradly Lakes and Camp Ground in the valley. But when we got to the Main Entrance, where the little bridge is at we saw a BIG sign on the registration booth saying CLOSED FOR 2007. I know alot of people, including myself, take their families there to camp and fish every summer. So I'm a little suprised to see them closed for '07? Maybe AOJ can shed some light? We ended up backtracking to the State Recreation Area entrance of the Kepler/Bradly Lakes and managed to bag 2 Rainbows, 1 Grayling bout 20 inches, and what looked like a small Arctic Char. I use some shrimp on the smallest hook I had, with no weight, or bobber. They wouldn't touch anything else! I couldn't believe it! Although my son wasn't real happy about it, we released them all, and I got some great photos of him catching fish. By the way, THE MOSQUITOS WERE OUT IN FULL FORCE! Enjoy the Summer....

[AOJ: Seems to me that last year (or two back) there was some sort of budget crunch in the Parks Division and a number of campgrounds around Southcentral, including several on the Kenai Peninsula, were to be closed due to lack of funds to maintain them during the summer season. I'm not quite sure how they resolved the problem to get most of the areas open. Sounds like perhaps the same thing is appearing again this season. Check the front pages of your phone book for State Government offices and track down the Parks Department and give them a call to find out what is going on. We all would like to know if there is a new list of closures to avoid this summer.

BTW, the ONLY thing biting on the Peninsula other than Halibut and a couple saltwater kings ARE the mosquitos. Cool weather is keeping everything wet and ripe for hatching skeeters.]

Default following report on Kepler Bradley

ANGLER: pro_tech
    TRIP DATE: 6/3
    REGION: Matsu Valley
    WATER: Kepler/Bradley Lakes (State Rec. Area)
    SPECIES: Info

REPORT: Kepler campground is privately owned and a family member died 3 years ago and the rest of the family lives in Kodiak. They closed it down because no one wants to run it. Fishing is open but camping is closed.

[AOJ: Thanks for that clarification on the situation there. ]
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Fished by the bridge right after they stocked it hoping there would be some big spawners under the bridge (no dice) so I just decided to have a smolt derby. Every cast produced one on an elk hair caddis but for stockers any fly that looks like a food pellet works. They have since spread out a little and are all very freaking small for "catchables" there were also a lot of fry or sticklebacks (do they still put fry in there?) under the bridge.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

fished Big Lake Sunday the 3rd, my son caught two on salmon eggs and i caught three ona roster tail. they are on the bite! No I did not keep the Fish. All were around 10 inches but loads of fun using an ultra light tackle.

Go to the ADF&G website....under sport fish division you can find out which lakes were stocked, when and what species and average length. Could help you find "hot spots" to try.