Thread: Seriously?

Default Seriously?

At least finish cleaning the poor thing before you post a raft for sale. This might be a good deal if it holds air and you are willing to put some TLC into it.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4435276453.html

What can I say? At least give her a bath - sure has kept some one floating for a while-RESPECT!! Of course just my opinion.
    Goo

How about $1500 and you throw in that 3 cords of wood and deliver it to fairbanks...stacked in my wood shed?

ridiculous, IMO! Some serious UV damage and mold. All the kids would laugh at me on the river!

I wonder if this is still available as I am interested.
    Signed Gilligan
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Got to be a misprint. He MUST have meant 1500 Rupees or Rubles or something. He can't possibly mean dollars. (Or even Pesos.)

I'll play devils advocate...

Look at raft prices on CL... and then consider, you could probably take that home for 1000$ cash. You got a boat, some frame pieces, some oar pieces (condition unknown).

You dump what-say 5-700$ into it, with some elbow grease and TLC. For under 2k you got yourself a perfectly serviceable raft that will work for years to come I bet.

I DO think it's overpriced, but I think theres some value there depending on what you could actually convince him to sell it for.
    For sure it's not a shiny new Sotar with a bling dre frame, but it's a start.

Who gives two hoots if the kids on the river laugh at you, you're floating man. I bet with a little work, nobody would know that it used to look like that; then you could laugh at all the cool kids floating by on their 1500$ 9' packraft, knowing you paid the same or less for your rig...

I'm not running out to look at it but years ago I lived in Florida and used to joke about all the hillbilly boats out fishing the mangroves for snook and reds. I really wanted a nice 22' center console flats boat but never did round up the money for it. After 4 years down there I was leaving to move back to AK and recall the realization that I spent 4 years dreaming of spending weekends fishing in a nice boat while those guys spent the same 4 years fishing every weekend.

I change my oil every 3,000 miles on my 83 chevy plow truck still runs, my 1975 Stihl is as good as when I was a smoke jumper in MT. way back then . Just treat your equipment WELL and it will work. Guess its a personal thing. Treat your equipment like you would your girlfriend and you will never go wrong!! Check this one close. Again just my thoughts. Looks a bit beat to me.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I'm not running out to look at it but years ago I lived in Florida and used to joke about all the hillbilly boats out fishing the mangroves for snook and reds. I really wanted a nice 22' center console flats boat but never did round up the money for it. After 4 years down there I was leaving to move back to AK and recall the realization that I spent 4 years dreaming of spending weekends fishing in a nice boat while those guys spent the same 4 years fishing every weekend.
    I grew with my dad owning a really nice bass boat, but, at one point, in my high school years, we started fishing a "jon boat" tournament. (14' or less boat and under 15hp.) My god I felt like we were slumming it! But we caught as many fish in that 12' v hull and 1975 7.5 hp Johnson, as we did in my dad's bass boat. I hated it because the boat was so slooooooow (compared to a bass boat anyway). Who knew that a bass couldn't swim that fast anyway?

ICB12, roger that shiz, bud. Good comeback, man. LOL...I'd shat myself this season if you floated by me in that thing loaded with a moose! No laughs except at myself.

cheers, y'all.

larry

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

So how does hypalon hold up? When I was researching brands everyone said maravia are well built boats.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    So how does hypalon hold up? When I was researching brands everyone said maravia are well built boats.
    Scott, you might have a look at THIS LINK. I wrote it a while back, to answer questions like this.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

OK- just to set you straight. MARAVIAS, Are wonderful once you get them pumped up and on the river. DO NOT expect them to fit even in a 185 when cold, I am talking about my 12' one a while ago in the arctic. Made of pvc - "shelterite, With a sprayed on urethane coating. No zippers for a urethane- air holding inner-tube bladder. Do your home work -Have sold and used almost all rafts for over a long time. Every ones needs are different- Just want to help'.
    Goo

I always prefer putting a little TLC into a raft rather than spending an arm and a leg. Is it weird that I actually enjoy fixing things up to buying new?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyphill7 View Post
    Is it weird that I actually enjoy fixing things up to buying new?
    Nope.....especially at the prices they ask for most anything nowadays.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    OK- just to set you straight. MARAVIAS, Are wonderful once you get them pumped up and on the river. DO NOT expect them to fit even in a 185 when cold, I am talking about my 12' one a while ago in the arctic. Made of pvc - "shelterite, With a sprayed on urethane coating. No zippers for a urethane- air holding inner-tube bladder. Do your home work -Have sold and used almost all rafts for over a long time. Every ones needs are different- Just want to help'.
    Goo
    Sorry Goo, I got maravia and hyside confused. It's been four years since I did all my raft material homework. I would have bought sotar, but you didn't have a used bailer and I'm glad I have one (I picked up an aire).
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

No worries, AIRE makes a great boat. I do have a couple of slightly used 14' SOTAR SB from my personal fleet for sale at a good price now.

Forgot to say, SOTAR does most of the repairs on broken AIRE pvc rafts because of of their welding experience of plastic made inflatables.