Thread: Spring king alternatives?

Default Spring king alternatives?

Hi guys! Since the kings may be slow fishing this year in rivers on the peninsula and mat-valley, any suggestions on where to go for early sockeyes around May/first part of June? Don't have any interest in trout or lake fishing because I love stream fishing for salmon. I like to eat what I catch! Been going thru some books and other information on here to see what's best. Came up with Seward/Res river and maybe Kenai and Kasilof. Also Klutina and Gulkana and Robe in Valdez but that is a bit far I think? Little Su down low? Whittier from shore? Am I missing something? Any of these be OK around memorial day weekend? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Hi guys! Since the kings may be slow fishing this year in rivers on the peninsula and mat-valley, any suggestions on where to go for early sockeyes around May/first part of June? Don't have any interest in trout or lake fishing because I love stream fishing for salmon. I like to eat what I catch! Been going thru some books and other information on here to see what's best. Came up with Seward/Res river and maybe Kenai and Kasilof. Also Klutina and Gulkana and Robe in Valdez but that is a bit far I think? Little Su down low? Whittier from shore? Am I missing something? Any of these be OK around memorial day weekend? Thanks!
    Seward red snagger fishery should be well under way at that time. Not alotta places to floss on the res river above the adfg markers. Be sure to read regs and respect boundaries. You can also try the china poot bay red fishery across from homer I think that time of year? Main bay out of Whittier should be producing fresh reds at that time. Good luck.

Release Lake Trout

there is always reds on the russian on the 11th.

Thanks guys. Will keep looking around. Heard they were getting some early fish in soldotna around the first of June so might try that instead of kings.

Do you like Golf? If not stick to fishing the salt!

Definitely be on the Russian for the opener. Anyone have much luck getting sockeye the legal way on Res river in Seward? Up near the road? Not really interested in snagging.

The snag fishery in Seward is legal since it's salt water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys think there will be any king fishing on the Gulkana this year.

Does it have to be salmon? Could always target some of those pesky Pike.

Pike? Maybe. Anything you can drive to and fish without a canoe or boat?

Main bay has a late may red run?