Thread: Spring king alternatives

Default Spring king alternatives

Hi guys!

Since the kings may be slow fishing this year in rivers on the peninsula and mat-valley, any suggestions on where to go for early sockeyes around May/first part of June? Don't have any interest in trout or lake fishing because I love stream fishing for salmon. I like to eat what I catch! Been going thru some books and other information on here to see what's best. Came up with Seward/Res river and maybe Kenai and Kasilof. Also Klutina and Gulkana and Robe in Valdez but that is a bit far I think? Little Su down low? Whittier from shore? Am I missing something? Any of these be OK around memorial day weekend? Thanks!

Default too early...

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Hi guys!

Since the kings may be slow fishing this year in rivers on the peninsula and mat-valley, any suggestions on where to go for early sockeyes around May/first part of June? Don't have any interest in trout or lake fishing because I love stream fishing for salmon. I like to eat what I catch! Been going thru some books and other information on here to see what's best. Came up with Seward/Res river and maybe Kenai and Kasilof. Also Klutina and Gulkana and Robe in Valdez but that is a bit far I think? Little Su down low? Whittier from shore? Am I missing something? Any of these be OK around memorial day weekend? Thanks!

I think I've looked into all the options you've mentioned, and I don't see much action at any of them, with the exception of Seward/Ressurection river, which is good early June. And of course the Russian, but that's a little later.
    Maybe someone else can clue us both in

It looks like the set netters might take a hit this year. If they can not fish, it should be a banner year for reds, unless they let the boats net them all.

Thanks both of you. Is the Seward spot good in late May too? Or just June? Anywhere around the bay to get those fish? I guess they don't bite too good out there so snagging only option?

we were there (Seward) on the 16-17th of June last year and it was slowing down...part of the reason we moved the trip up this year, to the 6th. We'll be fishing part days the 7th thru the 10th, hopefully hit 'em good. Dunno about May...I suspect at the very end they'd be showing up.
    I have my wife and 2 daughters along, and the combat fishing at the Russian is a bit much for them. At Ressurection, there's no current to fight and although it gets crowded, theres room to spread out.
    No, they don't bite there at all that I've seen; snagging isn't my favorite by any means, but it's harvesting food, and it's still a lot of fun. Those sockets take off like a bat outta hell when they get hooked in the tail!

The drift fleet will have a hard time trying to keep the rivers from being over escaped if the set netters don't get to fish. I am sure that if the forecast comes true the limit for reds will go to more than 6 fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by REFAK View Post
    It looks like the set netters might take a hit this year. If they can not fish, it should be a banner year for reds, unless they let the boats net them all.