Thread: Saturn Kaboat 18'XL or Grumman 19' Freighter

Default Saturn Kaboat 18'XL or Grumman 19' Freighter

I am going to be hauling camp gear, hunting gear and clients on shallow rocky rivers and some small lakes connected by creeks and rivers. I am trying to decide between the Saturn Kaboat 18' XL and the Grumman 19'. The fact that the 18' Kaboat folds up for transportation is a huge plus as long as it will be reliable. There are to many shallow rock gardens and small falls on these rivers to be able to use my jet boat. There will be the odd short portage so weight is an issue. I will be putting a lift and a 15 hp Merc 2 stroke with a prop guard on which ever boat I decide to go with. I am leaning towards the Kaboat right now but would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has some miles on the 18' Saturn. Any info or advice would be appreciated on either boat for this application.

Default is capacity key?

What are the relative capacitys of the two? I'd be willing to bet that the Grumman will haul close to twice the weight and/or bulk of the Saturn. But like you said the kaboat has some real advantages too, so your decision is far from clear cut, unless your capacity needs guide you towards the Grumman.

Capacity vs packability. There's always trade offs.

The 18' Kaboat is rated for 1500 lbs and the Grumman's site says the 19' freighter is rated for 1100 lbs. My biggest concern with the Kaboat would be durability.

I'm surprised, but that's really cool. How much room do you have between the tubes on the Saturn?

When I load my canoe heavy I run out of physical room before I go over my capacity with weight.

18' Kaboat Spec's:
    Overall length: 18'
    Overall Width: 50"
    Inside Width: 18"
    Transom High: 15''
    Tube Diameter: 16"
    Chambers: 4+1
    Weight: 89 lbs
    Person Capacity: 4
    Loading Capacity: 1500 lbs
    Max Motor Power: 10HP 4-stroke or 15HP 2-stroke
    Shipping Size: 48 x 25 x 13"
    Shipping Weight: 99 lbs
    Floor Type: High-Pressure Air floor
    Material: 1100 Denier Reinforced PVC
    Air Valves: Halkey-Roberts type valve by Naru
    Inflation & Assembly: up to 10 min.

So at 18 inches between the tubes that's the width of the entire cargo space. More cargo space with Grumann; more cargo weight capacity with Saturn.

The Grumann is proven afield thru decades of use; the Saturn is brand new and to my knowledge not well tested yet.

I'd love to take the Saturn around the block that's for sure. Very very interesting boat. One to keep track of and see how it fares.

Looks like some of the Kaboats have 2 fins on each side tube for tracking which is good for lakes and bad for rivers. Maybe they come with or w/o fins? Look at the abrasion under any seasoned whitewater raft and decide if that is acceptable normal wear for you. These days I want self bailing inflatables for rivers but that is me. I don't have inflatable canoes but have used my share of rafts that have similar materials/valves,etc.

I think I'll give the 18' Kaboat a try and see how it performs. You can bet it will be put to the test. I'll post a review once I get it here and get some hours on it.

My concern with the 18 foot would be flex issues. Solve a lot of that with a frame, I have a 15 foot XL and owned a 16 foot Saturn. And really like the 15 foot best with a frame. The factory seats sit lo and you over extend your knees plus with a frame mount seat I feel a lot more secure. Very impressed with the performance. Brian Richardson has sold a lot of them and he said no issues with any so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    My concern with the 18 foot would be flex issues. Solve a lot of that with a frame, I have a 15 foot XL and owned a 16 foot Saturn. And really like the 15 foot best with a frame. The factory seats sit lo and you over extend your knees plus with a frame mount seat I feel a lot more secure. Very impressed with the performance. Brian Richardson has sold a lot of them and he said no issues with any so far.
    Any chance you could post pics of your Kaboat with the frame?

There is a so so pic on this thread PM me your E mail and I will E you a better pic. Kurt

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Saturn-Kaboats

if you are going to put a woking lift on the rig you will have to go with the grumman , if it is a lift you have stop an adj the lift the inflatabel will work,
    the inflatable one is not the best for rocks , it will work but how long will depend on type of rock [ smoth or ruff ] the type of lift I have
    would be vry hard to put on the inflatable I belive , you don't want anything sticking down ftom the rig going up or down , that you can't lift up
    while in the canoe or boat , it will get riped off or stop you dead in the streamat a bad point on your trip
    SID

Personally, just the physical dimensions of the Saturn would rule it out. Far too small of a cargo area, especially compared to a Grumman. 18" inside width? You might be lucky to fit a small ice chest in there turned lengthwise. With the Grumman, you have something like 42 inches of inside width. You can fit the smaller coolers sideways and still have room for other gear around them. Also, with the Saturn, you really only have two compartments to carry anything, so you are really limited on bulk carrying space. Like Familyman, we usually run out of space long before we exceed the weight limitations. True carrying capacity of a Grumman is far more than 1,100 pounds as well.

The Saturn looks like an interesting boat, but would not be my choice for the purpose you are describing. Having said that, I don't know the specific rivers/streams you are planning to run, so maybe they aren't as much of an issue with sharp rocks as the ones I am familiar with. I know there is no way in heck I would bring an inflatable boat of any kind into the areas I hunt. In that area, we refer to many of the rocks as "can openers".

I recently bought a 15 foot kaboat and have owned and used a 19 foot grumman with a lift. For your purposes I think you will want the grumman. I think I might want another grumman myself but not planning to get rid of the kaboat. I'm concerned about the sharp rocks myself. Better get some good patching supplies.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com