Thread: 56,000 Lbs of Lingcod....

Default 56,000 Lbs of Lingcod....

Read the story here: http://www.adn.com/2014/04/22/343648.../99/100/&ihp=1

The small fine was because they did not mean to do it...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Wonder if they would be so lenient on a private citizen who "didn't know they were breaking the law".
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I complain enough about the legal bycatch and the illegal activities from foreign fleets - but to have a boat from our own country do it and see such minimal fines because it was a "mistake". O MY.

cost about two bucks per pound, not a bad deal. Wish they told how much they obtained from the 11,000 pounds. I am also impressed by the "confusion" over regulations. And they can afford attorneys. We private citizens are just expected to know the regs. I don't thing the "I was confused" would fly very far for us.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Confusing part was they are a Oregon based fishery company, They were involved with a federal test fishery. Under Fed rules they can keep some and sell it. In Alaska lings are controlled by the State.

Still, they should know the laws where they fish no matter who has hired them.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    The small fine was because they did not mean to do it...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post

Still, they should know the laws where they fish no matter who has hired them.
    "But judge, I didn't know I couldn't hunt moose with a rifle in that bow-only area."

Wonder how that would hold up.

Ok, here's where I do a double take. First quote from the article, "The company ... using non-pelagic trawl gear -- nets that drag just above the open bottom -- to catch lingcod and other species, troopers said."

Second quote, "The majority of the lingcod was released"

Now I'M confused ... how does one 'release' fish that have been brought up in a trawl net? My experience with such nets is that you discard your dead, unwanted 'bycatch' back into the ocean. To 'release' the fish, they would have to alive & kicking ... or do I misunderstand the nature of these trawl nets?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    Now I'M confused ... how does one 'release' fish that have been brought up in a trawl net? My experience with such nets is that you discard your dead, unwanted 'bycatch' back into the ocean.
    I'm not sure about lingcod, but some fish like halibut hold up ok in a short trawl. Often these test fisheries will have a limit on the length of a set or trawl. Who knows in this case. I'm not sure why it was legal for them to trawl in state waters in the first place.

Catch and release trawl fishing is never a good idea.

No trawl fishery should be able to "release" (aka toss over dead) any species. Then the true effect will be known.