Thread: Best company or way to move from east coast?

Default Best company or way to move from east coast?

Just wondering what companies member have found that wAs the cheapest to make such a monumental move, We have alot of stuff and selling everything isn't an option.

I had heard that there is one company out of seattle that you can get a conex box and you can fill it with as much as you can for 5k. That may not help much getting from the east coast to the west but curious if anyone knows who that company is and the details?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

My dad in years past hooked up with TOTE (totem ocean trailer express) in WA (tacoma? or olympia?) and backed a Uhaul up to a trailer in their yard. Loaded it, they sealed it and he drove up to AK with just a truck load of dogs and camping gear. Once here he had Weaver Brothers pick up the trailer and drop it at either his place or a yard to be off loaded into another Uhaul. I have no idea what it cost him, but he did say at the time it was half the cost of a Uhaul for the full trip from NV. His last move was in 2003 when he left for ID, and used a trucking firm that had low backhaul rates to the PNW.

Buy an enclosed cargo trailer you can pull with your truck. Load all your stuff in it and drive up. Once here sell your trailer for more than you paid for it down there. That's what we did and I havn't found a more efficient way than that to move up here.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering what companies member have found that wAs the cheapest to make such a monumental move, We have alot of stuff and selling everything isn't an option.

I had heard that there is one company out of seattle that you can get a conex box and you can fill it with as much as you can for 5k. That may not help much getting from the east coast to the west but curious if anyone knows who that company is and the details?
    I see the Semper Fi in your sig so from one Marine to another...Semper Fi.
    We moved up here last year from GA. We only brought clothes and some small house hold goods. Of course our house was fully furnished (supposedly). If you don't have an awful lot of stuff and this isn't a permanent move, I recommend selling down there and repurchasing up here.

We ended up storing our stuff the past two years and the cost of storing has gotten to high for us. We are going to head south and sell everything but the house this summer. Then use that money to invest in household goods up here possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by ERL View Post
    Buy an enclosed cargo trailer you can pull with your truck. Load all your stuff in it and drive up. Once here sell your trailer for more than you paid for it down there. That's what we did and I havn't found a more efficient way than that to move up here.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2
    I don't own a tractor trailer truck to pull a trailer big enough to hold everything. Thats was the reason for my original question.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Honestly it'll likely be cheaper to sell off all your big stuff down there, move up here yourself pulling a trailer and then buy what you need up here.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.