Thread: Kodiak Deer Hunt Planning is stalled

Default Kodiak Deer Hunt Planning is stalled

Need a little help from the experts. I've hunted Kodiak before in August with the help of a local friend via ATV. We headed out to the end of Pasagshak road and ventured along the beach. The ATV only made it a couple miles in so we ended up having to hike a about 4miles. Not a bad hike in but the hike out really sucked. Now, I'm planning a similar trip with my son but no local assistance.
    I have reserved the ferry for the first week of August (depart Whittier & return to Homer). I just bought a Achilles 14' with Yamaha 30hp. If the weather cooperates, plan is to launch the boat towards the end of Pasagshak or Saltry Cove and head around the point to travel north staying close to the beach. Only reason I'm choosing this area is because it's near the area I hunted before, but I am concerned about the long stretch of open water with very few protected coves. Any suggestions for a better place to launch would be much appreciated. I've taken some risky trips in the past and this one is has all the makings of a potential disaster if I don't plan it well.
    Keith

Head north from pasagshak? Did I read that right?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Head north from pasagshak? Did I read that right?
    Maybe he means east, since north by west keeps a road between him and the deer for many miles. And there are the rockets, and the private ranch lands, etc.

Why not just cross the bay as long as the wind is right.

Yes, I failed land navigation. Crossing the bay sounds good to me. Is there a good area to launch from?

Lol ya I'm hoping he goes west and south rather than north and east.
    I'd just check the weather and putter the shore line. Pull over and camp whenever ya feel like it. The island is your oyster!
    Master guide 212

Well, I highly doubt you'll be launching at Saltery, it's an 18mile ATV ride to get there. Ugak bay isn't all that bad unless you get a good ESE wind, but you can still hide in there if needed. You probably won't see many on the beach as there's plenty of feed up high at that time frame. Use the boat, get off the road system and get into the high country.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

You can beach launch out past pashagshak, seen guys pull pretty good size boats out there.
    Master guide 212

I too have a 14' ft achillies that i was planning on beach launching at pasagshak for some deer and halibut. How would you characterize the beach at pasagshak? fine sand, course sand, or rocky; compacted or loose; moderately sloped or relatively flat?

Moderate and rocks and sand. I've seen them pull some 20' semi v boats outa there before. You should be fine launching a raft. I'd imagine....
    Master guide 212

Launching from Saltery is doable, but not sure if you are up to that adventure. I have been back there in several vehicles, including a stock Jeep Cherokee and Ranger, and have towed my 17' Lund back there a few Octobers back, which is one of my most treasured Saltery trip memories (found out that you CAN put gas in a tire that is off the rim and it will pop the bead back on and fill it with air- all though we had to do it 1/2 dozen times since the boat was much heavier coming out, and it gets hairy after the first time since you are not sure how much gas is still in the tire from the time before). If you launch from Pasagshak, you may either want to have a winch on the front of your truck or a truck standing by- I've seen a few get stuck launching from the beach (if you have a lighter vehicle it may be safe). There are usually a few people down that way that you could get to stand by and be a spotter for you. You look at launching from Anton Larsen? I've seen it get rough out that way too of course, but if you take a Louie out of the bay you can get some protection. You have some pressure since Port Lions is back there, and Whale Pass can get stupid rough, but there is some good areas too - might be an option if the weather is not good to go out from Pasagshak? Good luck!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Trailering a 17' boat to and from Saltery is quite impressive. I would not recommend this venture to anyone who wasn't well prepared, and up for a daring adventure! Inflating a raft and launching off the beach there would be a piece of cake- as said, Ugak can be pretty tame and there are opportunities to hide, hunker down if needed.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Well, I highly doubt you'll be launching at Saltery, it's an 18mile ATV ride to get there. Ugak bay isn't all that bad unless you get a good ESE wind, but you can still hide in there if needed. You probably won't see many on the beach as there's plenty of feed up high at that time frame. Use the boat, get off the road system and get into the high country.
    Many thanks to all of you for your help. I appreciate the insight and enjoyed the jabs on my wayward compass. Using technology now to hone in on the areas you mentioned. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

So jackal what do you plan on doing with the boat once you get across Ugak to ward against bear boat damage. I was planning on wheeling mine up the beach and setting up the bear fence. I've thought about building a folding bear box to store the rubber sections of the boat in... But that's one of those still in the planning phase ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    So jackal what do you plan on doing with the boat once you get across Ugak to ward against bear boat damage. I was planning on wheeling mine up the beach and setting up the bear fence. I've thought about building a folding bear box to store the rubber sections of the boat in... But that's one of those still in the planning phase ideas.
    Same as you, I have put together the necessary elements for a small bear fence. I will take along the wheels for the boat and just place it next to my tent with a few sandbags to hold the boat down. The bear fence will go around the perimeter of my basecamp. I just may have to check to see if I have enough fence poles. I like the idea of a folding bear box but I really don't want to deflate the raft, however, it could be the right move. Let me know how your bear box plans go, maybe it will save me the hassle of carrying all these poles and wire.

What wheels did you purchase. I had originally planned to purchase some factory made ones but the weight limits on them seemed problematic. I'm now makings own out of pneumatic tractor tires, steel bar stock, and box and flat iron.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    What wheels did you purchase. I had originally planned to purchase some factory made ones but the weight limits on them seemed problematic. I'm now makings own out of pneumatic tractor tires, steel bar stock, and box and flat iron.
    I purchased the Achilles from an original owner. He still had the stock wheels mounted when I looked at the boat. Even with the 30hp motor mounted the wheels did a fine job of moving the boat along. Pneumatic tires may prove to be better especially on the beach. Obviously, you are way ahead of me. Any chance you could share your packing list via PM? This will be my first boat based hunt in Kodiak so I could use all the help possible.