Thread: Cooking mtn house meals from the #10 cans versus the mylar bags

Question Cooking mtn house meals from the #10 cans versus the mylar bags

I decided to go the bulk route on my Mtn house meals this hunting season. Partly because its cheaper in bulk and also because I don't always want to eat a whole bag meal at a time. That being said, can any of you recommend a method or piece of gear (vacuum thermos bowl, etc?) to cook and eat the meals out of since I wouldn't have the mylar bags to cook in?? I looked at Cabelas today for some sort of heat holding bowl or cup but didn't find one I thought was big enough. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I have been taking the regular meals, adding instant rice, Top Raman noodles and instant mashed potatoes to them and resealing them in vacuum sealed bags for years.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've thought of adding some ingredients to them but haven't gotten around to that. This might be the year since I bought the bulk cans. Other than the contents settling they are easy to work with. I just need a cooking vessel to replace the normal mylars they come in..

They make vac pack bags that you can boil, the should hold boiling water I would think.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I would look at good vac bags. It is a very appealing way to go since they burn easily. Burning mt house bags takes a very hot fire which can be challenging to build in many areas of the state and I hate packing around trash that smells of food for obvious reasons!

Oven bags from carrs or safeway? They hold up to oven temps far above boiling and work great in a muffpot on a sled. I would think they would work great to boil up a mh meal.

thanks for the replies so far!

I just use my (i think they are 8 mil bags from ak butcher supply) to vac pac them in and i did not have any issues with bags leaking and they are lighter and burn. The meals are a lot cheaper this way as well.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Try the ziplock freezer bags. I put eggs in them and then drop the bags in boiling water and voila, scambled eggs. Might work for freeze dried meals, too.

The Problem with cooking your food in the plastic is, the chemicals in the plastic ending up in your food. A small/med titanium/stainless bowl might work...

To clarify I am re-packaging bulk canned mtn house meals. I have several means of making water boil. I was trying to find an insulated vessel to let the mtn house sit in and rehydrate and eat from.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    To clarify I am re-packaging bulk canned mtn house meals. I have several means of making water boil. I was trying to find an insulated vessel to let the mtn house sit in and rehydrate and eat from.

Insulated vessel? What about one of those insulated drinking mugs with a lid (like for coffee).

That's one thing i have been considering. There's plenty vacuum insulated vessels but they tend to run small. I'm not done looking though ..

You can always make a pouch out of Reflectix or even the car windshield deflectors of similar material. I like to make up some of my own meals by combining stuff. Here are some photos:

Attachment 78564
    Attachment 78565

If those photos don't show, here is a link to the album.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y...422_162708.jpg
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-h...422_162840.jpg
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6...422_162657.jpg
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B...422_162940.jpg