Thread: PWS Black Bears 6-1-07

Default PWS Black Bears 6-1-07

We headed out friday night. Was going to my bear bait. Dropped shrimp pots and headed to the bay. We get into the bay and decide to blow up the raft around the corner to keep noise down as not so scare off the bears. I get done with the raft and we had drifted some with tide. When my dad says theres a bear. We glass it and it looks like a good bear. I go and shoot it, yep that easy. Well 128 yard shot. The bear somehow ended up smaller than what we had thought. Five footer but nice hide, all matted up though from all the rain. Think it will be fine once dried out. So we get to it and turn it over and it was a male. But the wierd part was it had white pads. Not sure if it is considered albino pads or what. Or is there is such a thing as albino black bears? So anyways. It was raining and getting darker. We decided to wait and check the bait in the morning as it was 1am saturday now. So we get up at 7. Get the raft loaded with bait, us and my dog. I put my dad in the tree stand and I go to fill the bait. Which was totally wiped out, every last bit. I fill the barrels and dump some out and leave the rest. I was gone about an hour and half when I hear my dads .338 roar. I go to shore and find him headed towards his bear and I was in aw with what I had seen. I asked him what the hell did you do to the bear? He started laughing and said I will tell you. What I seen was a bear on its back with the innards spread all over the brush. I was confused as to how this would happen. Here is his story.

He was in the stand half asleep when he heard a noise. He looks over and sees an average size bear walking towards the bait. It stops and is sniffing the air. It wonders around and he is having fun just watching the bear. When he looks at the bait and sees a bear on top of the barrels. He looks them both over to see what is the biggest and decides to shoot the one on the bait. By then the bear at the bait just had its paws on the barrels and was licking the bait from the top of them. So my dad decides to shoot it in the chest just below the sternum. He fires and then the bear out in the open moves so he watches that bear and it is now running for his tree. It stops a foot away from the tree and about 15' below him. The bear had no idea he was up there. The bear then walks up a hill and spots my dad. They are looking eye to eye for a bit and then the bear just walks off. Then he looks back to where he shot the other bear and nothing. He looks and doesn't see it. He figured it just ran off into the trees. When he spots a bear up in a tree above the bait. About 40 -50' at the top of the tree. So he is watching that bear. Then he notices a leg drop. So he thought it was going to start to climb down. Well it ended up falling straight down onto the brush. Not sure when the innerds came out the entry hole but they did. It was not gut shot. Nice lung shot and the bullet lodged on the inside of the left rear leg. It grazed the stomach but no mess. Plus we found the copper but no lead. No exit hole either. Best he could figure is he grazed the barrels as he was aiming between them slightly when shooting the bear. Entry hole was about 2" in diameter. He shot his at 9:08am saturday. So we skinned his bear and headed for the pots and then headed for the harbor. Worked on the bears until 1am sunday morning but they are all butchered, skinned, and even did the heads and paws. Not bad for weekend. Lots of fun and good weather.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 04-08-2008 at 22:47.

Thumbs up Great Job

Allright, sounds like a good weekend. Glad you were able to get more bait out there last week
    How did the pots due ? You will have to post a pic of your Dads bear when you have a minute.
    Oh yeah looks like you went to HH raingear, must have been more then rain showers out there.

right on, nothing like makin' it look easy for the rest of us! cool pads, you gotta do something special with those.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default BRWNBR, was thinking

of making back scratchers or something. but the pads behind the claws will show so might just do a rug. any ideas?

Default Great Job!!!! Still havent gotten mine.

Went out Thur-Sun, ALOT of rain, no bears for three days. Finally Saturday there was a break in the weather, if only for a few hours at a time, and the bears finally came out.

Between two boats, saw 5 bears and got two. One was 5 1/2 ft and the other was much smaller. My friend had a hard time judging size so was a bit embarrased, didnt even take pics.

Anyways, still quite a bit of snow on the hills, hunting should be good for a few more weeks.

Maybe I'll get mine this fall. Is bear baiting allowed in the fall or should I be concentrating my time glassing hillsides around berry patches.

AH

Default Arctic Hunter

The season out of whittier ends this coming sunday on the 10th. I am going to try to get back out there and help someone get a bear. Seward side is open year round and allowed two bears. The way this season has been might be possible to bring home two bears with the right timing. IN the fall watch the beaches too. Seen some berry patches picked clean in july and august. NO BAITING IN THE FALL!! FYI don't get busted doing something stupid, the creeks are baited for you already any how. Good luck.