Thread: Take a kid hunting and fishing.

Default Take a kid hunting and fishing.

We had a sudden and sad ending to our week. We buried my little of sister of 26 in Chicago after her long struggle with heroin and meth abuse. She was talented and beautiful.
    We debated posting this, but to give her death any meaning at all, we'd ask everybody out there to take a kid hunting, fishing or outdoors.
    You might be saving or changing the path a kid will take in life. We all have the ability to make a difference.

With heavy hearts, Frank and Renee

Thumbs up Save some lives

Frank, i'm very sorry to hear about your sister, my condolences to you and your family. I know exactly what your saying Frank, I would probably be going through something very similar if I hadn't stepped in when i did and now the future looks very promising again! It's amazing what being outside will do do for a person.

Default Re:

My condolences to you and all of your family.

"You might be saving or changing the path a kid will take in life. We all have the ability to make a difference."

Amen to that

Doug

Default So sorry

I am sorry to hear that Frank, my condolences go out to you and yours. I am thinking the same way as you though, we must all realize how we can influence the path we guide our children down. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Default I'm sorry.....

to hear of your loss. Meth is a TERRIBLE thing, probably one of the worst things to ever happen to society. I deal with addicts on nearly a daily basis and it is amazing to see what happens to them over time.

You are right on track with being involved with our children. Even if it isn't hunting/fishing/outdoors things, at least sit down and eat dinner together as a family and show some interest in the children. They long for attention, good or bad, and will take what they can get. It's my goal to have an abundant supply of good attention for them anytime they need it.

Thanks for your post.

Rob
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Sorry to hear it Frank

Frank-
    Dang, I'm saddened to hear about that Frank. Prayers going out for you and your family.

Hopefully this encourages you-want to let you know there are many of us doing just what you suggested. This fall a couple buddies and I are taking some high school seniors on a caribou hunting trip. The plan is to go together up to the 40-mile country and then split up one adult with two kids once in the field. These are all kids with minimal or no fatherly influence in their lives. Ya, we hope to get some caribou, but more importantly we want to teach them about God, and just teach them to be men in general. We expect it to be a very positive life experience for them. We'll be working with these kids all summer in preparation. Taking them to the range, gear prep, training, survival skills, etc. I'll write more about it as the summer progresses. Again, sorry about your loss.

Steve

Default Really sorry

Frank,

Nobody should have to bury their sister. I'm really saddened to hear this, and I hope you are finding some comfort in those you are close to right now. You're right; life offers no guarantees, and we have to grab every moment we have today.

Kindest wishes,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default thanks...

for all the kind words fellas.
    And Stephen, thanks for your willingness to nurture and instruct young men in the outdoors. I'm sure there are many others on this forum that help in this way too. That kind of dedication is whats needed in this screwed up world we live in. Spreading God's love and the love of the outdoors is as good as it gets.

Frank

Default dying is part of living....

Frank....sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your sister, please accept our kindest regards to you & your family........god speed to your sis.

Isn't it amazing what memories we have from childhood? I'd bet there aren't many of us out there that don't remember some special time spent afield w/ dad, mom, sister/ brother, uncle; hunting and fishing, hiking camping and so on...

Your title to this thread is very fitting, point well taken. The world will be better as whole if all of us spend some more time w/ young people in the field.

good hunting,....>Byron

Sorry for your loss Frank!! Sad news and that meth stuff is outa control!! Will be thinking of your family!! HH

My condolences to you and all of your family.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. May God be with you and your family.

Thumbs up Okay, I will.

Sorry to hear about your sister. I can't imagine what that was like.

Your post has motivated me even more to put my son in front of some Alaskan big game. After spending 2 of the last 3 years in Iraq, I am coming home in Aug and plan to take my 14 year old son hunting in Alaska for his (our) first time. Already had mom go pick up the rifle, a Rem Mod 7 in 308. and we are looking at Chicken Ridge for caribou and a couple other places for Black Bear and maybe a moose. He has had a real hard time with me being away so much, but I can't describe how excited he is about the next couple of months worth of hunting.

I'll let you know how it goes.

God Bless.
    Last edited by pcwilliams; 07-02-2006 at 07:38.

Default My Condolences

My condolences to you and yours. Family is priority, we all have the ability to change, help, and or modify someones life. Weather its hunting, fishing or just being a friend, its being there that will make the difference. My 26 year old brother in law showed up one day after not seeing him for 12 years. He'd been living out of a tent and back pack for the last 8 years. Now he is staying with our family, a couple years back he kicked the needle problem(on his own). We have Incouraged him to complete his GED, and got him a job, and now he talking about college this fall.

Spend the all the time you can with you family that you can, cause you never know what life has in store for you.

Again, sorry about your sis.

I ask that the Lord will bring you and your family peace and comfort during this time of grieving the loss of your loved one. In Jesus Name.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again