Thread: PASO Runway

Default PASO Runway

Anyone know the current condition of the runway.. Any tips for a first timer into the field?

Thanks
    Chip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SELDOVIA... Is in very good shape..

If the tide is in, thus flooding the lagoon which is around 3 sides of the runway, it gives an optical illusion of the runway being shorter than it really is...
    The winds at Seldovia is weird to say the least. The socks at both ends often point in different directions.

The hills on both ends of the runway also cause updrafts, so many folks just dog leg around the hills to avoid that and get in lower.

If you land there just bring your own ropes and tie up in an empty spot before walking over the bridge into town. There is no av-gas in Seldovia... so you either have to get reamed in Homer for fuel, or stop at Kenai or Soldotna for fuel en-route.

There is A-LOT of 135 air taxi traffic going along into and out of Seldovia, Port Graham and Nanwalek. So watch out for hot-rod C-206 drivers.

What type of plane are you flying down??

If you need any help or more info call me at 907-226-2899 or email at dragonfly@alaska.net
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Take a swing out to the west and look at the marine windsock at the harbor entrance before committing if the wind seems squirrely, which it often is. Some of the 206 drivers mentioned above are most times hard to hear/understand as to their position and intentions.

FP - I will in a 172M coming down from PABV with the wife for a weekend. May 10-11 if the weather permits. Thanks for the heads up on the nuances of the field!

I really appreciate the advice on the winds had how to check on them.

Edo's float flying book has a pretty good chart on water conditions and characteristics if memory serves. Floatpilot prob knows if that's the right one.
    Google it I guess.

Try to use the water and other cues as an indicator along with smoke, grass, leaves, etc the whole time you are flying. By the time you get to a field you should pretty well know what the windsock is gonna look like. (along with up drafting and down drafting sides of a valley etc etc etc)
    Sometimes you may be surprised but shouldn't be much as you progress
    I don't think I've ever looked at windsock at PASO because there's water all around it. Not saying its bad, just not as good…..IMO of course.
    Just something to start thinking about as you are learning….

Advice worth what you paid for it.
    Less on the internet maybe

The Beaufort wind force scale

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/beaufort.html

The automated weather number for Seldovia is 234-7407 Radio 135.40

Here is a pic of the Seldovia 16 approach and a view from the mountain side of the town.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As you come across from the Homer side, you can start to see how the winds are coming by looking up into Sadie Cove and Tuka Bay...

If it feels weird or bumpy during your first attempt, just do a go around and come back in a couple minutes later... In many cases it was just a freak gust of wind coming down out of the mountains and rolling down Seldovia bay. Most times the next landing attempt is pretty smooth.

This is a pic of SADIE COVE.

FP - you are a wealth of information! Thanks a million!

Now that you're a pilot you can drop those annoying four letter designators and start using English. :-)

Airspeed vs GPS groundspeed. I always know what the wind is doing while flying. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what it's doing where I'm landing. As long as I have a throttle that works I have a choice to commit or abort. Don't be proud. If it doesn't feel right go around and set it up again.

Smokey Bay and Homer Air go in there every hour, so just ask them on the radio, 122.90 about conditions. All of them will be happy to tell you about anything you need to know. Just make position reports, and they will work around you. The 135.40 recording can sometimes be wrong given the funky terrain and wind combination. It is plenty long enough, hear tell they used to bring DC-3s loaded with fish into there.
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Just be careful not to follow some of the air taxi drivers examples on which way to land. A couple of them are not adverse to making down-wind landings to save time. Nor are a couple of them shy about using only half the Seldovia runway for take-offs directly towards the houses in town.

Owner/Operator flight outfits like takeoutaplane is a different story... they are in it for the long run, with nothing to prove and no ego to stroke. So the owner / operator operations are good sources for local conditions.

If you have to come in on runway 34, avoid a long straight in final since it will take you over a hill which ALWAYS has an updraft. Instead try to snake in over the lagoon water ( see photos below) It will let you get in lower and use more runway for your roll out.

Thanks for all the help! Landed in Seldovia on the third attempt into 34 tonight! Trees and wind had me on edge the first two tries. Third time was the charm.

We are staying at the boardwalk hotel for the weekend. This place is really nice and just renovated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Supporting Member

Good job, Snopro81!

Could you feel the earthquake in Seldovia at 6 this morning???
    My old house is on old wood pilings on the hill above Homer, our upstairs was really moving and a couple big book shelves went tumbling.
    I should have taken the hint when the dogs ran into the hallway.

Ya we felt it. It was a good shake!