Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFL Question

Default FFL Question

I bought a handgun from a private seller that lives in Alaska and he has to ship it to me. I also live in Alaska. Can he ship it on his own to my FFL or does he have to go thru a FFL on his side also? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post
    I bought a handgun from a private seller that lives in Alaska and he has to ship it to me. I also live in Alaska. Can he ship it on his own to my FFL or does he have to go thru a FFL on his side also? Thanks
    Ether way but to go in the USPS mail you need an FFL on both ends.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

He said regardless he usually goes thru Fed Ex. If he needs to go thru a FFL himself, it'll just cost me another $30. He's already paying for shipping.

He can FedEx it himself, trick is printing the label online to avoid hassle of counter people. With a log gun he can ship it direct to the buyer in the same state, I don't know if it applies to handguns but I think so . . . Hard to find a seller that will do that though. Your FFL will likeley want c copy of the seller's ID, best to just give the FFL and seller each other's contact info and let them hash out the pirticulars.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default FFL Question

Yeah he said that he would fax a copy of his ID and his info to the FFL of my choice. The trick is finding an FFL that will accept a pistol without him having to go thru an FFL on his end. I don't mind paying the extra $30 if he has to go thru a FFL on his end. He's paying for the shipping. I just want to have it done the legal right way and with no hassle so that the pistol will get to my FFL asap.

With a long gun, we both wouldn't have to go thru an FFL?

I'll receive it for you if you want but you'll need to come to Palmer to do the 4473 to get it.

Correct in the same state he could mail you a long gun, it isn't interstate commerce so state law governs and it isn't required to pass through an FFF in Alaska. I about 90% believe the same is true of a handgun but only FFLs can mail them USPS and if I remember UPS and FedEx want an FFL involved per ther rules. But there is air cargo with Era etc also . . . Used to ship a lot of guns by bus in Arizona cuz it was super fast and priced well.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

He can fedex it stright to you if both in Alaska.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default FFL Question

"[QUOTE=ADfields;1387754]I'll receive it for you if you want but you'll need to come to Palmer to do the 4473 to get it."

I'll definitely keep you in mind.

I believe he can mail USPS it to himself in care of you at your address. Verified the legality of this at the post office in Anchorage when we used this option a few years ago to mail a shotgun to me from the lower 48 as the other party was driving through Canada to get here and didn't want the hassle. The guy at the post office desk didn't even blink an eye or have to ask anyone before saying yes we could do that. Don't think many people are aware of this option.

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    I believe he can mail USPS it to himself in care of you at your address. Verified the legality of this at the post office in Anchorage when we used this option a few years ago to mail a shotgun to me from the lower 48 as the other party was driving through Canada to get here and didn't want the hassle. The guy at the post office desk didn't even blink an eye or have to ask anyone before saying yes we could do that. Don't think many people are aware of this option.
    You can with longuns but not pistols,FFL only USPS
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks Will

Handguns are essentially dealer to dealer. A dealer may RECEIVE a handgun from an Unlicensed individual, however, it can be difficult to get UPS or FEDEX to take the gun for shipment. Depends on which chimp you get behind the desk. An individual may not use the post office to mail a handgun, only dealers are allowed to use the P.O. for handguns. An individual may use the P.O. to mail a long gun to another individual within the same state, or to a dealer in another state. I think that covers it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I fedex'ed a pistol to a gunsmith outside. FedEx only ships guns 1 day express or whatever they call it. Cost 85 bucks I think. But it took 2 days to get there so they refunded my money so it was free

I think the easiest way to do it is use and FFL. In my case the gun is coming back to me so this way the smith/FFl can send it directly to me. No need to go back to an FFL.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Whats funny is fedx pistols shipped to Wrangell come to the post office as we don't have fedx,go figure

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    He can FedEx it himself, trick is printing the label online to avoid hassle of counter people. With a log gun he can ship it direct to the buyer in the same state, I don't know if it applies to handguns but I think so . . . Hard to find a seller that will do that though. Your FFL will likeley want c copy of the seller's ID, best to just give the FFL and seller each other's contact info and let them hash out the pirticulars.
    Has to ship "Over Night" (read expensive) doesn't it, if shipped Fed Ex?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Has to ship "Over Night" (read expensive) doesn't it, if shipped Fed Ex?
    Steve
    Oh yea, FedEx isn't cheap but there are many a village without an FFL that can mail it. I think the best bet within Alaska may be air cargo on Era, NAC or something. In most of the US going through FFLs is cheapest with handguns becouse we can use cheap USPS shipping. I just mailed one to Gorgia $15 my FFL shipping fee, $16 postage/insurance, and whatever the Gorgia FFL charges to do a 4473.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

ADFields, I agree completely. That's why I shy away from places such as ebay, and Midway, shipping usually doubles costs. Especially for you guys up in Alaska, I'm next state over from Mo., no telling what they charge you guys. Guess they've never heard of USPS padded envelopes. And dealer get hit more if they don't have a big order.
    Steve

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

[QUOTE=Amigo Will;1388759]Whats funny is fedx pistols shipped to Wrangell come to the post office as we don't have fedx,go figure[/

I had that happen to me when I ordered computer part. I paid for Fed EX, delivery to my door, but while I was in Anchorage I received a call from an Air Freight company asking for an "Alternative Address".

They didn't ship it Fed Ex, but sent it via an Air Freight Co. that didn't deliver to Wasilla past Spenard Builders Supply. They were gonna MAIL it to me from Anchorage.

Since I was there, I just went and picked it up. I complained to the Lady at the counter, but of course she was not to blame.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Oh yea, FedEx isn't cheap but there are many a village without an FFL that can mail it. I think the best bet within Alaska may be air cargo on Era, NAC or something.
    So, you can do that? Ship via an Air Freight outfit, If they're willing, without an FFL, or without one on the receiving end?

I was in a quandary a few years back, wanting to ship a rifle to the bush, til I found out I could ship a Long Gun within the state through the US Mail.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Gunbroker has an extensive list of ffl's and how much they charge for a transfer. Just go down the list until you find someone who is willing to do it.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast