Thread: 1st Timer - Campbell?

Default 1st Timer - Campbell?

I just got my packraft- Denali Llama. Looking to get some experience. Is Campbell Creek a good place to start? Has anyone been down yet this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcy42 View Post
    I just got my packraft- Denali Llama. Looking to get some experience. Is Campbell Creek a good place to start? Has anyone been down yet this year?
    Campbell Creek typically has a lot of sweepers and may still have some frozen over areas this time of year. I would think if you are trying to get the fell of something new, you might want to look for something a little more clear. Not sure of any good suggestions at this point though, so can't help there.

I would stay away from campbell- too much crap in it and not much room to move. Maybe check out Portage creek from the visitors center down. Lots of room to work on your strokes and close to the road.
    Goo

Thanks, sounds good. Any good ones further down on the kenai peninsula? I heard the kasilof is pretty low right now, but the kenai might be just right. anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    I would stay away from campbell- too much crap in it and not much room to move. Maybe check out Portage creek from the visitors center down. Lots of room to work on your strokes and close to the road.
    Goo
    I agree, Portage would be a good one or the upper Kenai would be alright. Campbell creek has a ton of wood in it.

Goeaux is spot on with Portage Creek for a first time float. It's close, roadside, and easy allowing you time to get comfortable in your new craft. Here's a link to a trip I did two years ago. If I were to do it again I'd continue down to the Seward Hwy. As a bonus, it's easy to bike shuttle back to your vehicle.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=Portage+creek

A step up from that would be to float Granite Creek into the East Fork of Six Mile. HOWEVER, DON'T MISS THE TAKE OUT ALONG THE SEWARD HWY. Below the takeout are the class III/IV/V whitewater sections. The first part of this float near the Granite Creek Campground can be fast with tight turns and sweepers and strainers. Use caution! Here's a link to this trip.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=Granite+creek

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Goeaux is spot on with Portage Creek for a first time float. It's close, roadside, and easy allowing you time to get comfortable in your new craft. Here's a link to a trip I did two years ago. If I were to do it again I'd continue down to the Seward Hwy. As a bonus, it's easy to bike shuttle back to your vehicle.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=Portage+creek
    Make sure that if you plan to do a bike shuttle that you remember to bring the key to the bike lock with you and don't leave it in the car at the other end... Been there, done that...

I did one better...I dropped all of my gear at the put-in, drove to the takeout and parked the truck, biked backed, floated, and drove home forgetting to stop at the put-in to get the bike. That was a long drive back to retrieve a crappy bike. Lol

I've spent a fair bit of time getting comfortable with my Llama on eagle river. I park at the day use area by the upper bridge (above the campground rapids) and hike up to where south fork pours into the mainstem of eagle river. From there it's a nice leisurely ~45 minute float back to the takeout. Like aforementioned rivers, make sure you don't miss the takeout point. There is a large sign warning of the rapids ahead.

Thanks- looks like some good options to get ready. Do you guys wear wet/dry suits on these leisurely runs? I'm sure it's preference, but I am hoping to stave off the investment until next year as I will be mostly floating in the lower 48 this summer.

Nope, I don't. I have a splash top with neck and wrist cuffs that I'll wear sometimes, but generally on a nice day I'm just fine in a t-shirt and pants that I don't mind getting a bit wet. I never leave the life jacket at home, though.

The upper Eagle River is a gentle 3 - 4 hours float. Good for practice.

I wear a wet suit or my dry suit, as my pacraft is a self bailing FEATHERCRAFT with thigh straps and no spray skirt. Lots of splash!! But fun!!
    Goo