Thread: Looking for Hares

Default Looking for Hares

I have a friend who would really like for me to take him snowshoe hare hunting. I know south of Anchorage has low numbers now. I would be willing to drive him 150 miles or so either up the Parks or the Glenn from Anch. , and would appreciate some general info. He is not in really good health, so we can't do any climbing or really strenuous hiking. Any ideas are really appreciated. Thanks

They are often skinny and diseased this time of year. And yes the numbers are way down this year. I've only seen a few this year. Good luck. Wear gloves if you get one.

I do believe the cycle is way down about now. You may fair better looking for stupid chickens?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    They are often skinny and diseased this time of year. And yes the numbers are way down this year. I've only seen a few this year. Good luck. Wear gloves if you get one.
    Not to mention they started to breed a couple weeks ago, so most every female you shoot now, you'll actually be killing the female plus her unborn. Altho there is no season on the Hares, I always quit hunting them the same time the Ptarmigan season closes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I do believe the cycle is way down about now. You may fair better looking for stupid chickens?
    The season is closed for spruce grouse and ptarmigan now, so that's not an option until August.

Really, there is no great hunting option right now apart from black and brown bears. Beaver trapping is a good option as well, and can often be done close to the road.

The alaska rule is to only hunt hares in the months with a "R" in them.

Thanks everyone for the input: our hare hunt is officially off.

Default Hare season

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Note that hare season closes April 30 in Areas 1-7 in 14c and in the remainder of 14c
    NRA Lifetime Member

I like that Rock skipper. I'm gonna remember that one now.

I've heard that, too, growing up in Texas... Interesting. I wonder if that applies to EVERYWHERE in the Lower48 as well...????

When I was about nine we had a Sib.Huskie which loved us kids.

Well me and my brother went out a day in June and shot a couple of rabbits for the supper table and went home and cleaned them ( and yes they had spotted livers but if cooked right its not a problem ) and the dog was locked in the garage while we were hunting.

I went to let him out of the garage and in a instant my world was changed upside down, lol. He took one sniff and took a 1 1/2" piece of meat about an inch deep out of my leg just above the knee. I was able to get on top of a car pretty quick, ( I know it sounds like a CuJo story, grins, but it is the truth, I wear the scare to this day 43 years later )til dad could come out and calm him down.

After I got washed up he was the same lovable puppy that he always was.

The only thing that we can figure was the rabbits set him off.

Just a short story for those that own dogs.

( Oh and back in them days we did'nt go to the hospital, lol, put some achacol on it wrap it up and good to go, lmao.)

i have two beagles for sale. they are the best rabbit hunting dogs i have ever had and ive been hunting for 45 years. i am too old to be chasing them around the woods anymore. i also have 5 garmin gps collars for sale also. all for 1500.00. the one dog is 6 years old, who is the daddy of the 2 year old. both are males. if interested call 903-258-9220 home or 903-245-1511 cell