Thread: 260 rem or 6.5

Default 260 rem or 6.5

I have been doing a little checking on the able two calibers. They seem to be very good flat shooting, long range calibers. Several reports state that there is very little difference in the two of them. Some reports state that the 260 is easier to get amo, components then the 6.5. Anyone have thoughts or experience with these two calibers. Thanks
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default 260 rem or 6.5

Which 6.5 are you talking about swede, creedmore, -06, ? Hard to say bad stuff about the 260 rem though.

If it were me I would try to find the dies for a 6.5 saum or Wsm and put together a great sheep gun. Or look at the 264 win mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6.5 creedmore is the one I was checking on. The Rem 260 had better reports than the creedmore. Had not thought about the 264 wm. Will do some checking in that direction. Thanks

I think the 6.5 creedmoor is a neat round, but it's a little too novelty with very unreliable factory availability and its ballistics are doubled by that of the 260 rem and a few others. A great 6.5 cartridge that i just remembered is the 6.5-284, definitely worth checking out. And of course there's the new 26 nosler, but I'd shy away from that one I think this will be one of those newfangled rounds that actually does burn out a barrel quickly (throat erosion problems almost guaranteed with all that powder/pressure)

What application were you thinking of for this new gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Some reports state that the 260 is easier to get amo, components then the 6.5. Anyone have thoughts or experience with these two calibers. Thanks
    Not by my experience. Lots of guys turn up their noses at the 6.5x55 because it's not new and improved and 4000 fps... which is all the mo betta for those of us who like it; components and loaded ammo have for the most part remained available throughout this latest "shortage".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Most of the 6.5's that produce velocities in excess of 3300 fps have fairly short barrel life. Nature of the beast. I would expect to rebarrel after 2500 to 3000 rounds. Maybe a bit less or more depending on many variables. You can talk to the serious long range shooters about that. I haven't seen many on these forums.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

What are you looking to do? 6.5 is a good caliber, love the good ole Sweed. But if your after long range hunting 7mm is where it's at . . . 7mmWM, or WBY are very popular in long range hunting and 7mmRUM and 300RUM not far behind. But you should be over at longrangehunting.com with the Best of the West folks to learn about that.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What I'm looking for is a caribou gun for say 400 to 600 yards max.

Then yes you want a 7mm or large accuret 30 caliber. 6.5mm is a great paper puncher at that range but is a bit light on bullet mass for killing stuff. Those ranges can be done but they can not be done cheaply, the quality of equipment that takes costs quite a bit. I make ammo for a guy that does anything to 800 yards, gear he uses to make those shots is about $20k all togather . . . It's a lot cheaper to stock in closer!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Gosh Andy...those sound like armor plated boo. The vast majority of 6.5's will work just fine with the right bullet in the right spot and without beating your shoulder to a pulp. I have 7 guns in 6.5 and the only one I wouldn't use on a 500 lb animal is the 6.5 TCU, but then I'm pretty fond of the .280 and 7/08 too.

On a perfect day most people can shoot heart size groups to 300 yds pretty well and the odds go down hill after that...the more recoil the harder it gets for most folks. Throw in some gusty wind and unknown range and life gets more difficult quickly.

The .260 and the Swede are very capable rounds, easy to shoot and there are several good off the shelf guns available to do it with...Ruger and Tikka to name a few.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Gosh Andy...those sound like armor plated boo. The vast majority of 6.5's will work just fine with the right bullet in the right spot and without beating your shoulder to a pulp. I have 7 guns in 6.5 and the only one I wouldn't use on a 500 lb animal is the 6.5 TCU, but then I'm pretty fond of the .280 and 7/08 too.

On a perfect day most people can shoot heart size groups to 300 yds pretty well and the odds go down hill after that...the more recoil the harder it gets for most folks. Throw in some gusty wind and unknown range and life gets more difficult quickly.

The .260 and the Swede are very capable rounds, easy to shoot and there are several good off the shelf guns available to do it with...Ruger and Tikka to name a few.
    Well sure, 6.5 Sweed has killed mountains of moose even. But the man said 400 to 600 yards, I'd never advise poking 5-600 yards with a Ruger or Tikka in 6.5 . . . 300 maybe even 400 if everything is just so but not 5-600 yards.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Guess that's what I was trying to say in the 2nd paragraph Andy. There's just not that many folks who can shoot very well past an honest 300 yds in the field unless they are very practiced...regardless of gun. The .260 and the Swede are both capable rounds with a good bullet...they carry the energy way better than a lot of fat bullets with lower BC but you still gotta put em on target to get the job done.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

My 260 is my target gun and I have two 6.5 Swedes. Ammo for the Swede is usually easier to find than the 260, but your results may vary. The Creedmore is optimized for the AR10 size magazine length and is a little tougher to find.

Amazingly, the 6.5x284 is a mainstream wildcat that even Sportsmans carries. I want to say I saw a box of Winchester in 6.5x284 as well as Hunting Shack (HSM) today. In a modern action, hand loading your own, you can shoot 6.5 Swede loads that will equal the 260.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    In a modern action, hand loading your own, you can shoot 6.5 Swede loads that will equal the 260.
    http://www.lapua.com/en/products/rel.../relodata/5/98
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist