Thread: HELP? I am looking for Alaskan long bow maker named.....

Default HELP? I am looking for Alaskan long bow maker named.....

Looking for a guy that made a bow for my son in law by the name of Mike Phillips. He made the bow about 15 yrs ago and I would like to contact him for some info on his well made bows. Anyone know if he is still around and/or how to contact him. I heard he got married yrs ago and dont know what became of him.
    If you know of his whereabouts please pm me or respond to this post. Thanks.........cod
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Was he a bow builder on the Kenai? I'll ask ask around for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Was he a bow builder on the Kenai? I'll ask ask around for ya

I know back in the 90's he worked in the gun dept at Mt View Sports. Dont know much more than that.

I called a buddy that was a bow maker on Kenai and no luck. I'll ask around a bit more up here in anchorage area

If it turns out you can't find him, my barber Dave in Kenai also builds bows (beautiful fiddles too) and may be able to help you. Maybe you know of him?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the input, fellas. We were hoping to get some 'draw length' questions on his bow, right from the horses mouth. But, short of that, we/I would welcome input to this question....
    As the yrs have passed, the archers arms apparently have grown a bit lengthier. So the bow which was originally set for a draw length of 29 inches is now a bit shorter than the archers natural draw length. His current draw length is almost 2 inches greater now. The archer would like to know if this amount of 'overdraw' would/could damage the bow?
    The archer has gotten differing views from accredited bow makers so that is why we were hoping to get in touch with the 'original' bow maker.
    And as a PS, 4mer, we MAY be interested in another bow build. I appreciate your response.

I have a bow that Mike built for me about that long ago too.I am pretty sure he moved to WA state in the early 2000's.

I think you will be ok if your bow is not shorter than 64 inches. Depending on design and limb length,some longer bows will be usable to a few different draw lengths.Your arrow length and poundage will increase and your spine weight may change too. Mikes bows were mostly d shaped common longbows. Are you a lefty? You could have a look at mine.

As a custom bowyer for many years, I might have some insight for you. Mark an arrow in inches. Nock it on your string. Now hang your bow on a scale. Pull your bow down and watch the scale weight as you pull the bow down. There should be a point where the weight starts to "stack" or rise sharply. Not so much with longbows but with recurves, your draw weight will be a gradual climb up to a certain point where it will all of a sudden climb sharply. That's where your draw weight stacks. If your draw length is below that, you are just fine. It's best to check with your original bowyer because we know our bows best, but this is a general rule. I sure hope this helps.

Mike Phillips and Mike S did the bow build video years back. Mike S works in anchorage, I'll try and get in touch with him and see if I cant find some info for you. I haven't heard from him in awhile though and I'm getting ready to fly south here in a couple of days.

As for bow length, If he's not grossly over drawing it, following Lb6's info is spot on. Every bow is different, some bows stack like the dickens right out of the gate...some you can draw well past the original markings.

Another guy to chat with would be Jack Harrison, he's in Wasilla/palmer in the summers and texas in the winters so he should be back up here soon. I'm sure he knows Mike Phillips well.

There is bow builders in kenai as well...and Steve H if he'd ever post is another bow builder in moose pass. Some of the old timers might remember seeing his ads in TBM, White Bison Longbow Company. Makes some dang nice bows!