Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumped.

Default Stumped.

I have a Volvo 5.0GL in my SeaSport. I replaced the starter and now it just clicks when I hit the key. Batteries are 14 & 15 volts each (new last year 800 starting amps ea.) , all terminals and leads are clean, polished and have corrosion X on them. The wiring is exactly as the Volvo tech manual says. I have installed the starter twice, checked the teeth in the flywheel, ignition switch is new from last year. Same thing, it just clicks. I even added an addition grounding wire.

Stuck. Can't find anything on the internet.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Do you have a solenoid that is not part of the starter? If so that may be the trouble. Make sure your engine rolls over by hand too!

The last time I saw that problem there was water in the cylinders, remove the spark plugs and try again.

Check the large white fuse(looks like a block of white plastic) on the engine it may be inline to the starter. Sometimes i've heard of the wiring/fuse to lift pump for the outdrive will effect starting.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Check the large white fuse(looks like a block of white plastic) on the engine it may be inline to the starter. Sometimes i've heard of the wiring/fuse to lift pump for the outdrive will effect starting.
    I think you're onto something there!!

Do you have a 12V test light or a DVOM? If so, find a known good ground and attach the neg. end to it and the positive/test lead to the solenoid signal wire from the ign. switch, cycle the key and check for voltage, if it is not present you have a switch/relay fuse problem, if present, you have defective starter. 10.5Volts minimum at starter.

And why are your batteries 14v and 15v ? They should be 12.6-12.8 fully charged and rested.

Solenoid is in line with the starter and new too.

Batteries - mine are usually around 14 volts fully charged. Even the Jeep is up in that range. The boat s are 800 amps, Jeep is 1000 amps. The voltage may go down since I had them fully charged.

Depending on what you read I see there may be something else connected inline in the wiring That has about 5 wires on it. Will have to look for it when I get home.

I just looked at the Volvo wiring diagram and I see a starter rely that has a ground wire running back to a grounding block on the boat somewhere. I am starting to lean that way. If the ground or the relay is bad, then the starter would not be able to draw enough amperage to engine the starter.

Does that make sense.

Did you roll the engine over by hand?

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Did you roll the engine over by hand?
    The old starter cranked it over a few times before it died.

I was wondering if I could do that before by putting it in gear and turning the props but could not find a viable source of information saying that was alright to do.

Not very likely. You should use a breaker bar and a socket on the crank shaft bolt that holds on the vibration damper

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Not very likely. You should use a breaker bar and a socket on the crank shaft bolt that holds on the vibration damper
    And best to pull the spark plugs first, the crank bolt on small block GM engine are not very stout, it would suck to snap it off. As for the solenoid, or relay be fore the starter motor, that will activate the solenoid on the starter motor, not to engage the starter motor/drive. in other words it is a redundant solenoid/relay which is why I posted the voltage test earlier, to check for signal to the solenoid ON the starter motor.

There's not a KILL SWITCH lanyard at the helm is there?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It could also be a bad neutral interrupt switch.

No kill switch. I will have to check the other things when I get back home. Over in Anchorage right now.

While key is engaged in the starting position, move throttle lever back & forth thru the neutral position. Elementary I know.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

You said that the starter just clicks now so that should have nothing to do with it being in neutral. If the neutral switch was bad or it was not in neutral it should not make a noise. I would try a set of jumper cables on the ground side of the battery and hook the other end to the starter or engine block. If it will turn over then you have a ground problem. If it still don't turn over hook the positive side jumper cable to positive side of battery and touch other end of jumper cable to hot terminal of starter. If starter still will not turn check starter.

Also you said you replaced starter. Make sure that the wires are hooked up right and are tight. It takes very little corrosion to stop a connection from being made and sometimes it is not visible at a glance. I am a retired mechanic and I have saw lots of new parts that were bad. A kill switch should stop a motor from firing or running but should still allow the motor to turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Also you said you replaced starter. Make sure that the wires are hooked up right and are tight. It takes very little corrosion to stop a connection from being made and sometimes it is not visible at a glance. I am a retired mechanic and I have saw lots of new parts that were bad. A kill switch should stop a motor from firing or running but should still allow the motor to turn over.
    Every connection was polished with Scotch Bright pad, coated with Corrosion X and lugs check for tightness. Batteries, same thing. Connections are all correct as I have the Volvo tech manuals for the motor.

I will be back on it tomorrow.

There is another possible problem you have the wrong starter or it need shims. When the starter engaged the flywheel it lock-up because something does not fit properly. Wrong number of teeth, or you need to add shims, etc.

Before you check out the starter, remove the spark plugs and make sure the engine turns freely. Remove the starter and try again to make sure the starter is not the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast