Thread: Sheep spike camp setup

Question Sheep spike camp setup

I recently happened upon a new GoLite Shangri-la 2 with the inner bug nest for $75. Normally they are $180 new, and the current ones don't come with the inner bug nest. I looked up some reviews and video with the majority favoring it. It is a two man, floorless 4 season tent. It supposedly weighs in at 1 lb 10 oz. This weight is without the inner nest I'm sure, which is fine since I wouldn't take the bug nest for a sheep hunt. The video I watched was of this tent on a ridge top in 50 mph sustained winds. I was impressed and it correlated with some of the reviews I read. I'm thinking this tent along with a Raven Omni bivy from TiGoat would make a good spike setup. Does anyone have experience with this tent in particular, and/or what are your thoughts for the setup? As much as I like some of Kifaru's tarp tents, they are a bit pricey for me as of now. Below is a pic from the video I described.

AZinAK

Hey AZ...

I think your new Shangri-la would provide a lot more protection if you laid IN it rather than beside it ha ha...

Seriously, those are nice tents and looks like you got it for a great price. I've modified them in the past with stove jacks and used some of the UL stoves in them.

Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    I recently happened upon a new GoLite Shangri-la 2 with the inner bug nest for $75. Normally they are $180 new, and the current ones don't come with the inner bug nest. I looked up some reviews and video with the majority favoring it. It is a two man, floorless 4 season tent. It supposedly weighs in at 1 lb 10 oz. This weight is without the inner nest I'm sure, which is fine since I wouldn't take the bug nest for a sheep hunt. The video I watched was of this tent on a ridge top in 50 mph sustained winds. I was impressed and it correlated with some of the reviews I read. I'm thinking this tent along with a Raven Omni bivy from TiGoat would make a good spike setup. Does anyone have experience with this tent in particular, and/or what are your thoughts for the setup? As much as I like some of Kifaru's tarp tents, they are a bit pricey for me as of now. Below is a pic from the video I described.

AZinAK
    Tom Mansfield
    Mansfield Outdoors
    Seattle, WA USA
    425-501-7512
    www.MansfieldOutdoors.com

Where did you pick one up at for that price? I would for sure go that route rather than carry a 4-6 pound something that I already have.

I have a brand new Sl2 with a granite gear haven nest that has never even been set up. I am not going to use it and would let the package go for $100 to a local buyer (palmer/anchorage)

I am in anchorage. I will PM you.

LuJon very interested in the SL2 going away this weekend but may have time tomorrow to get it sending a pm with my phone number

Don't think I can send a pm so I replied on the thread

Bek has dibs unless you can talk him out of it I know I am looking forward to someone posting a pic of this setup with a sheep next to it next year. I purchased an SL3 and a 5 after I got the 2 but all purchases were made while I was overseas. After playing with the 3 and 5 when I got back they have become my go to shelters. That said for this money the 2 is pretty dang impossible to beat!

I am going in off the road in the brooks Aug 7. Anyone got bug reports from that time of year? I am thinking that I am going to need the nest??