Thread: First cuke has been cut

Default First cuke has been cut

My garden season has been underway for many weeks. We cut the first cuke last night.

It could have grown a few more days, but I am not known for my patience. }:> Looks like another one today and about 2 dozen coming fast.

Of course she lets the dog get the first bite...he likes to chew the blossoms off. Dorko.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Amazing. How do you heat your greenhouse?

I built it on the side of the house. When I poured the slab, I plumbed from the house boiler to the in floor hydronic tubes.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I built it on the side of the house. When I poured the slab, I plumbed from the house boiler to the in floor hydronic tubes.

Now THAT'S a dedicated gardener...!!!

(can't imagine what your heating bill must be...!!!)
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

This was installed at the same time I was installing a new high efficiency boiler. Gas bill is 1/3 lower that the old boiler without the greenhouse.

One of my favs. Tomatoes in February anyone?

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    This was installed at the same time I was installing a new high efficiency boiler. Gas bill is 1/3 lower that the old boiler without the greenhouse.

One of my favs. Tomatoes in February anyone?

Of course I'm envious as he11 and I kinda admire the way you went about it.. I'd love to build another house - kinda my last retirement home, but I think if I'd mention something like "one more" to the lady that has let me live with her for the last 49 yrs, ... well I just don't think we'd make 50....! enjoy your tomatoes

Oh, that is awesome! We don't have the option for gas here. I couldnt stand it anymore. I put down insulation on one of my 12' greenhouse shelves yesterday and used an 8' heat mat to cover it. Then I put a 12' x2' x 2' prefab row cover type greenhouse over that. I put the mat on a timer and checked the temp this morning at 7. 50 degrees. Good enough to grow in. Of course if it gets cold I will have to turn on the propane heater but I will keep an eye on the forecast and only set out cold tolerant plants. Thank you for the motivation!

and I still have snow on the ground!!

haven't even looked at seedlings, since green house is unheated

Chris

SWEET ! !

What type are you growing.
    Looks like the ones that don't need pollinated,

Correct! They are English cucumbers. Mike, the owner at Bells, started them in Jan and saved me a couple.
    He is very willing to help us amateurs.
    Personally, I got a late start on planting as I emptied the greenhouse and tried to freeze out some persistent pests. That didn't seem to work so well. Then a spray down with bleach. Then another with ivermectin. My limes are setting and the aphids are back.

It seems like every season is a different issue. 3 years ago it was spider mites, then white moths and now aphids.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Three months after this thread was started and we still have not eaten anything from our garden. I started seedlings months ago. Put them in the garden and they are doing horrible. I'm starting to wonder if they are spreading aluminum in contrails through geo-engineering. We're seeing metallic particles on the dashes of our vehicles that sparkle in direct sunlight. We planted a row of beans and another of peas. One plant of each grew in each row. One. We compost and mix in chicken manure. I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get anything out of the garden.

Okay, now we have eaten our first cucumber for the year. Almost into August.