Thread: Homemade bullet proof vest?

Default Homemade bullet proof vest?

Is it possible to build a homemade bullet resistant vest with everyday materials?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ovinovin7 View Post
    Is it possible to build a homemade bullet resistant vest with everyday materials?
    I cant think of a worse idea!!!

Another type of spam...This poster has confused the AK outdoors with a zombie prepper forum.

However, it did remind me of an idea I submitted years ago to mythbusters. You know how in movies couches and easy chairs stop bullets? Having had an opportunity to shoot a couch in my youth I wondered what it would take to make a couch bullet proof. I have been waiting to see the results of the mythbusters testing for years now. Tested bullet proofing a car with phone books so where is my bullet proof couch?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I cant think of a worse idea!!!
    I can.......... ovinovin7 put the vest on and I will shoot you with my 375.

Bullet proof to what spec? 20mm? 50 bmg?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I saw one made on a prepper show. Waited the whole show to see him test it. As I recall he finally took a shot from his pal with a shotgun successfully (sort of). He was gonna make some 'improvement' when he got out of the hospital! (Ok, I made that part up. )
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Yeah - make out of the same material you use for your foil helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Yeah - make out of the same material you use for your foil helmet.
    ....and then you wear it while hunting in Alaska.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Is this to protect you from all those gun toting animals in the bush? ? Thought this was a hunting forum.?.?.?.?

Quote Originally Posted by ovinovin7 View Post
    WHY would you want to wear a BPV in the first place?
    Secondly who is going to test it OH by the way once it has been tested it is no longer protective its compromised
    Third WHY would you think it should be in the hunting forum?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

This isn't the place for it, but just to give some good info, I want to let you know that you can buy ballistic fiber for a very cheap price. You caould build a vest by layering these sheets in some sort of plate carrier. You can also do AR500 armor, but it is much heavier.

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

Let us know when you test it out. I'm sure we'll all want to see that show.

Ummm...Not so much...But I won't knock a person for trying to use their head and imagination. To each their own. There is no benefit to disparaging anyone, this is a place of information and friends, lets keep it that way.

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post
    Ummm...Not so much...But I won't knock a person for trying to use their head and imagination. To each their own. There is no benefit to disparaging anyone, this is a place of information and friends, lets keep it that way.

Jeff
    This is a place to share information concerning Alaska outdoors, let's keep it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, but there is no need for responses that are borderline with disparaging comments. Just inform the person and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Third WHY would you think it should be in the hunting forum?
    I don't know why the OP asked the question here. But, two years ago during the Tier I hunt, I really wished I had one on. Bunch of caribou running around and a bunch of yahoos shooting around, all with patchy fog. It was a bit scary there for a while.

This is a bit of a strange post. Not necessarily this post taken by itself, but a quick search of the username finds similar questions on a number of other forums around the country on the same day, with a different reason given for why in each one. In one instance he is a convenience store owner and looking for possible personal protection from robbers. Seems reasonable. Another forum he is looking to build a fantasy type full body armor suit just for fun. In each of the forums I saw, it was the only post he has made on that forum. Just seems a bit strange. Ask a question, and at least in this case, get a number of responses yet doesn't come back to answer any questions others have or respond in any way. Also strange to have different reasons given for why you are asking what you are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    spam...
    What he said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    This is a bit of a strange post. Not necessarily this post taken by itself, but a quick search of the username finds similar questions on a number of other forums around the country on the same day, with a different reason given for why in each one....
    Yup. In only a couple days, this person has joined a very large number of Proboards / vBulletin type forums, and is asking odd questions about subjects which flirt with illegality (such as online gambling and making bullet proof vests). Don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to raise eyebrows at this one. (The amateurish and unimaginative nature of the effort is kind of a head scratcher tho).
    #Resist

Yep, the inter web is a weird place. Since we are all on it all the time we should know. Whoops, what did I just infer?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/